Which NAS for Plex?

Soldato
I'm looking for a NAS, Primarily for Plex. A bit confused to what will transcode if necessary without struggling on 720/1080p steams, Should be no more than 2 streams at once.

I've looked at:
WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra 2Bay,
QNAP TS-251 2 Bay,
Synology DiskStation DS216play 2-bay

Are these anygood?

Associate
I spent a lot of time looking into this and testing NAS's for Plex, and in the end in I realised if I want to transcode 1080P and have more than 1 stream at once, I need something better than a NAS can offer except maybe the really expensive ones. Its cheaper and better to build a small PC with a decent CPU, high efficiency PSU and some harddisks in it. For OS there are various options, personally I went for Windows and running Plex in a VM (various reasons for doing this), but there are better options like XPenology which will work very well.

Associate
I use an Intel Nuc with a NAS drive and several external hard disks for Plex. It's all in a cupboard out the way.

I had an i5 NUC for Plex too and whilst its a good little PC it wasn't enough for more than 1 1080P stream and was a bit slow with even just 1 stream as the CPU was maxed out when transcoding. For direct play its great though, no problems if thats all you want from it.

Caporegime
You need a passmark of 2200 to transcode 1080p in realtime (as a rule), so either your C2D was an E8400 (or higher) or there wasn't full transcoding going on?

Associate
An i5 NUC should be able to cope with two or more 1080 streams .. maybe it was your network/wi-fi speed? use a gigabit switch and wired connex for best results ime.

Back
Top Bottom