Which of these cheap SSDs would you trust?

Associate
I've bought a cheap, used system to run a Plex Media Server on (Intel Xeon E3-1270, 8 GB RAM, £135).

It comes with a 500 GB HDD but I'm considering replacing it with an SSD, to keep the system quieter etc.

Here are my options:

rigd51.png

Any thoughts on any of them?

Soldato
I trust SanDisk as I've been using their flash cards (SD, CF) for many years without a single issue. I have two of their previous gen SSDs running fine as well. Though I don't know about the model you listed here. There's a good way to estimate reliability: go to Amazon (UK and US), newegg etc, and check the customer reviews of each model you are interested in. It has offered a quite good measure of reliability for me.

Ree

Ree

Associate
i have a crucial ssd and it has been flawless for the years av had it but no crucials on your list.

Associate
They all get better every year. Most of the bad stories you hear will be about earlier models.
From your list I've used WD green, kingston and sandisk. In general use I can't tell the difference in speed. I usually go for samsung in my machines.

Soldato
Just for clarity on this laptop I'm currently using I have a 120Gb OCZ Vertex SSD that's probably 6 years old, never once had an issue with it (saying that I've probably just put a curse on it) so I think any SSD would be fine.

Caporegime
I trust SanDisk as I've been using their flash cards (SD, CF) for many years without a single issue. I have two of their previous gen SSDs running fine as well. Though I don't know about the model you listed here. There's a good way to estimate reliability: go to Amazon (UK and US), newegg etc, and check the customer reviews of each model you are interested in. It has offered a quite good measure of reliability for me.

Cheap Sandisk SSDs are pretty crappy, they change the design of the same model without updating the name so you’re not guarenteed a certain spec, they also make DRAMless SSDs which perform poorly:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dramless-ssd-roundup,4833-8.html

In the real world you won’t notice any difference between any of them really, not for your use. Get the cheapest with the warranty you want.

APM

APM

Associate
I've had one Crucial fail on me for firmware reasons,an older MX100.
Yet I have an even older M4 still going strong.

I've also lost 2x Sandisk 480GB's over the last 2 years,the first one after only a few weeks use and the second after 2 years.

All three replaced through warranty but still a faff.

Touch wood my Samsungs are going well.

Permabanned
I have been using a Sandisk X300 512GB and a Ultra II 480GB for ~2 years. Very good performance, no issues. So another vote for Sandisk, now Western Digital.

Back
Top Bottom