Which operating system do you use on your servers?

Create a VM or use the HA Unraid app (container)?

Other thing, is I will probably need to create a Bluetooth proxy to avoid having to pass through a Bluetooth dongle which may not even work.
I have two Bluetooth sensors to connect to HA, which currently just use the pi's Bluetooth

Am I making sense?
I used a VM as in this case I found it easier to work with.

A Bluetooth proxy is very easy to set up with an ESP32 board and ESPHome. If I can do it then anyone can!

I used a VM as in this case I found it easier to work with.

A Bluetooth proxy is very easy to set up with an ESP32 board and ESPHome. If I can do it then anyone can!
Do you have a board to recommend? It seems you can get generic ones, but I was also looking at the M5stack atom mini...

Go for it - looks as good as any other. I buy generic ones from Amazon which work just fine though I’ve had the odd one with a quirk or two.

Centos stream as work mostly uses Redhat and I can pick the brains of some experts if I get out of my depth. I run plex, file sharing with samba, k8s for learning, maven repo, helm chart repo, Jenkins server. A lot is stuff I could do on AWS but run locally so I know how it works under the hood.

I run OSMC 24/7 (Debian Linux) on my Raspberry Pi4 2GB and it is rock solid.

I also use it for the following:

Plex Server
Jellyfin Server
Network HDD
CCTV surveillance
Wireguard
Kodi media player

I have two Unraid servers (main and backup) - I started out on HP 54L Microservers, and last year built an i5-11400-based machine as the HPs weren't able to do everything I wanted. I love Unraid, it's usually very simple to use and there's a really helpful community to fall back on for assistance.

Starting to tinker with my Server / Home Lab build (no idea what to actually call it tbh). Mainly to learn and play around with. Nothing critical will exist on it so not worried it if all goes **** up!. :)

Current planning is either Proxmox or WMWare ESXI for Hypervisor with Windows Server 2016 to act as Domain Controller* with Seperate VM's acting as "Compute nodes (with GPU passthrough)" for remoting into.

*This is what we use at work thus I want to mess around with it to get a better understanding of the back end / setup whilst also seeing what level of improvements we can leverage with faster storage / networking etc / addition of the Compute nodes for Designers for rendering out large projects.

Once I have that baseline I can then start tinkering with other options for DC / storage etc.

Nothing set in stone and approaching it from the point of view of if it doesn't work then learn from that and go forward. Essentially just tinkering with proof of concepts whilst constantly learning. :)

Would be further on with it had my main desktop not taken up half of my Saturday but throwing up a Bootable media not found issue.

Debian, since 2007. I used consumer Windows as a "server" OS prior to this, but switched because I wanted to learn Linux. It serves torrents and files.

I switched from QNAP/SYNOLOGY to Windows Server, and finally Unraid.

I love unraid, absolutely combines the best of most worlds for me, QNAP/SYnology had limited apps, poor update of those, and things broke on updates quite regularly.. Windows was good for being able to install just about anything, but running it headless often meant work arounds and manual updates. Unraid just nails it on all those fronts..

Another UnRAID user here. Windows Home Server, then Synology, then switched to UnRAID a couple of years back and wouldn’t have owt else now.

Docker containers, a couple of VMs, throw disks at it and just let it get on with itself mostly. Offloaded Plex server to a little Intel n100 CPU box recently, so might even scale down the CPU/mobo etc on the UnRAID box to go to kit that doesn’t use as much power. Support for Docker and plugins is great, and there’s not much I’ve not been able to find for my requirements.

Unraid with a load of dockers + a Home Assistant VM on my home server.

Work is mostly Windows Server with an Ubuntu server for hosting a wordpress site.

I use Windows Server 2019 on my NAS. It's familiar to me and easy to manage. While there's TrueNAS etc out there, I don't need the features.

Since my home lab turned into "home prod" I tend to use OS' that I am somewhat familiar with, that being said I do like to branch out for the less critical stuff.

At the moment most servers are running Windows Server 2022 however there are a couple of Debian and Ubuntu systems for things that don't need Windows as the host OS. Purely because I'm fairly familar with those systems so if it goes wrong I can get them sorted pretty quickly and it makes diagnosing whatever is running on them much easier

I used CentOS 8 for a long time, upgraded to Stream, I had a bunch of issues with docker images being broken due to selinux breaking overlayfs. Ultimately it was more trouble than it was worth to try to solve the issues I was running into, every time I solved one something else didn't work as it should. Final nail in the coffin was that I realised it didn't support ZFS at all at the time which made it entirely unusable.

I switched over to Arch with a lts kernel simply because it's what I know best and wanted to just get everything working at that point. While unconventional it's been running over a year rock solid.

Another vote for Unraid after experimenting with various iterations on Windows and OpenMediaVault.

I love the simplicity of running Docker containers on Unraid and ability to create storage pools, I cant see me changing OS for the forceable future.

Back
Top Bottom