Which Pump?

Associate
Hi, so Im gathering the components for my watercooling setup, my Thermochill PA120.2 Rad and Grill arrived in the post today :D

I am pretty sure about what Blocks, res and tubing Im going to buy, but the only component I am undecided on is the pump.

Im going to be running a CPU block and VGA block, hopefully off very short runs on 1/2" tubing....I'd like a pump thats good enough for this job, and hopefully nice and quiet?

any of you wc gurus got any reccomendations? :)

Soldato
AquaExtreme 50z or DD D5. D5 pumps a fair few more watts of heat into the water so you get needlessly added heat but as long as you have a decent rad, this is ok. I have the 50z and I prefer it to the D5. Cathar (Stew, designer of the Storm waterblock and others) also seems to like them but that was against a D4 when he did the comparisons - not sure how he feels now.

Man of Honour
You can't get a D5 at the moment. Everywhere is out. I was told it's to do with DD selling them for less than they were supposed to. Anyway, they are getting replaced by a newer model in a couple of weeks.

I have just got the Aquaextreme 50z and aside from the fact it's only 700lph compared to the D5's 1200lph it is better. It has a greater pumping head height which means that it is better at pumping through multiple/restrictive blocks than the D5.

If it were a car, it would have more torque than the D5. You can have all the horsepower (lph) in the world but it is all no good if you have no torque (head height) and the 50z is very capable when it comes to that.

Do a google and you will find them. I got mine two days ago. :D

By the way thanks for the info on the 50z Smids. Did'nt even know about it until you recommended it. Did a search found a couple of reviews and eventually found where to buy it. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
pastymuncher said:
You can't get a D5 at the moment. Everywhere is out. I was told it's to do with DD selling them for less than they were supposed to. Anyway, they are getting replaced by a newer model in a couple of weeks.

I have just got the Aquaextreme 50z and aside from the fact it's only 700lph compared to the D5's 1200lph it is better. It has a greater pumping head height which means that it is better at pumping through multiple/restrictive blocks than the D5.

If it were a car, it would have more torque than the D5. You can have all the horsepower (lph) in the world but it is all no good if you have no torque (head height) and the 50z is very capable when it comes to that.

Do a google and you will find them. I got mine two days ago. :D

By the way thanks for the info on the 50z Smids. Did'nt even know about it until you recommended it. Did a search found a couple of reviews and eventually found where to buy it. :D
Hey no problem - it's a very good pump and in fact most of their stuff is quite good. Their Storm clone is supposed to be pretty good too. I love mine - quiet, runs very cool and it's just a damn good pump.

Man of Honour
I also got the MP-05 Pro (limited edition with 432 pins) cpu block with accelerator plate 2 (the X one) and 2x MP-1 gpu blocks which looks better than the Maze 4's inside. Did'nt think they would fit as they are full size and i have a single slot Sli board but by using the mounting kit from a NV silencer 5 on the lower block they fit a treat and i have 6mm between the top of the upper block and the back of the bottom card. :D Very very helpful chap who runs the place too.

Associate
gr1mey said:
I think Im going to get the NexXxoS XP CPU block and the Swiftech MCW60 VGA block, how does that sound?

Can you not find the swiftech storm in stock? its the same block as the originals designed by Cathar and probably one of the best out there atm. Email me if you need that other retailer for the Aquaextreme or i will have one for sale in a months time as its a bit too noisy for my likes. Am going for a DCC - plus with a Raadical 1/2" top. Roughtly same head but quieter and smaller. :)

Associate
gr1mey said:
I can get the Storm block, but the difference in price from the Nexxxos XP is quite a bit tbh.

if money is an issue then go for the NexXxos. In reviews i have seen it performs almost as well as a DD TDX. The only downside i saw was this:

The only drawback to the block is that the barbs that were supplied would not screw all the way into the block, leaving some thread showing. This is a concern only because it makes it imperative that you use Teflon tape, or other sealant, to make sure that the block does not leak. It took me 3 tries to get everything right.

Associate
OP
Ok Im still undecided at the moment, Ive heard that the Aquaextreme 50z can be a bit on the noisey side, and nowhere has any of the DD5's in stock...

anyone have any comments on the 12v DDC Pro with the Plexi top? this is the one thats caught my eye so far...

Associate
gr1mey said:
Ok Im still undecided at the moment, Ive heard that the Aquaextreme 50z can be a bit on the noisey side, and nowhere has any of the DD5's in stock...

anyone have any comments on the 12v DDC Pro with the Plexi top? this is the one thats caught my eye so far...

There is a review on systemcooling of the DDC modded so that the intake is vertical. This greatly increased its flow/head. Review here

I recently got a great Radiical 1/2" cover for the DDC and want to use it with the new revision DDC-1plus.

Radiical%20Arylic%20Top%20for%20Laing%20DDC-12v%20pump.jpg

Flow rates from another forum:

Laing DDC-12v (test carried out with 3/8" to 1/2" step up barbs)
Laing DDC = 7.2 LPM
Laing DDC + TDX (nozzle1) = 6.3 LPM
Laing DDC + TDX + Maze4 Chipset = 6.0 LPM

Laing DDC-12v (test carried out with modded 1/2" inlet )
Laing DDC = 12.2 LPM
Laing DDC + TDX (nozzle1) = 9.7 LPM
Laing DDC + TDX + Maze4 Chipset = 8.6 LPM

Note: Alphacool has a new revision of the pump out ( Lang DDC-1 Plus) which again has an increased flow rate that once arrives will be tested in the same manner. (cheers Leeum)

Amendment 25/01/06
Laing DDC-1Plus With Alphacool Plexi Top ½” Barbs (side mount inlet & outlet)
Laing DDC-1Plus = 9.7 LPM
Laing DDC-1Plus + TDX (nozzle1) = 8.4 LPM

Laing DDC-1Plus With Alphacool Plexi Top ½” Barbs (top mount inlet - side mount outlet)
Laing DDC-1Plus = 14.5 LPM
Laing DDC-1Plus + TDX (nozzle1) = 10.5 LPM

Added 29/01/06
Laing DDC-1Plus With Alphacool Plexi Top ½” Barbs (top mount inlet - side mount outlet)
Laing DDC-1Plus + NV-78 = 11.5 LPM
Laing DDC-1Plus + NV-78 + TDX (nozzle1) = 9.2 LPM

Laing DDC-1Plus + Alphacool NVXP-3 6800/7800 = 6.9 LPM
Laing DDC-1Plus + Alphacool NVXP-3 6800/7800 + TDX (nozzle1) = 6.9 LPM

Laing D5
Laing D5 (set @ no 5) = 16.4 LPM
Laing D5 (set @ no 1) = 4.4 LPM

Back
Top Bottom