Which router for £100ish?

Soldato
Currently using a standard ISP router that has pretty poor wifi coverage around the house and it gives my ring doorbell a poor signal overall. Looking for something with better wifi coverage with a budget of around £100. I've seen quite a few routers in this price point, the TP Link AX55 and some Asus ones.

Any suggestions please?

Cheers

Soldato
OP
you might be better off just buying a wifi extender and keeping the router ?

I do have a wifi extender but it's pretty useless to be honest, drops out a lot and not very reliable. I don't mind spending £100 just to have a better router with better wifi across the house as multiple devices with benefit from it

Soldato
The TP Link AX55 is probably a decent shout. Can be had for £74.99. And it supports one mesh so you could, if wanted, add another device to create a mesh environment if you still had some wifi dead zones. Asking one router to provide wifi to an entire house (depending on the layout and size) can be a big ask. But try and keep it in a good location as possible, not tucked away in a corner somewhere. :)

Associate
I do have a wifi extender but it's pretty useless to be honest, drops out a lot and not very reliable. I don't mind spending £100 just to have a better router with better wifi across the house as multiple devices with benefit from it
Yes, but the point being that perhaps its not (or not only) the strength of the wifi from the router, but your house design is such that any router might have a problem getting signals from where you place the router, to where the signal is required.

Soldato
Op, it's really simple, the output power of a router is legally fixed, replacing one router with another will generally give similar results, you can influence them slightly, but if the issue is wifi, then generally the answer won't be a router. Use mesh, ideally with a wired backahul, but as long as you're good with not getting full gigabit speeds, then wired with only say a single wall or floor between the node and the master node will do pretty well. The other option is to relocate your router to a more central point where it can have a better chance of reaching where you need, as already mentioned people often put them in stupid places, like between a large RF shielded TV and a wall....

Mesh not good if it uses wireless backhaul it just eats into the bandwidth
C'mon, you can do better... Instead of making sweeping statements that aren't necessarily relevant or true, why not try adding some context to help op make an informed choice?

There are three main types of backhaul commonly used:

1. Shared wireless, where the clients and the backhaul share the same radios.
2. Dedicated wireless where each has a dedicated radio - think 800mbit+ floor to floor on gigabit ports, slightly more with LoS.
3. Wired - near gigabit.

There's also power line, but nobody with sense is doing that. 1 is garbage tier Mesh, the kind of thing someone who doesn't know better and just buys it because it's cheap ends up with, 2 is OK unless you happen to have non-conventional construction like 1ft thick stone walls or foil backed plaster board, but for anything up to OR based FTP 900, it's going to do pretty well, 3 will give near gigabit, which honestly given Wi-Fi's primary use is mobile devices is probably more than they'll ever use unless you have lots of concurrent users, because no reasonable person is moving a few TB via Wi-Fi.

Soldato
One point also in favour of replacing an isp router is the control you get. A lot of isp routers don't let you choose bands, transmit power, etc. So there is that to consider as well.

Soldato
Yeah I don't get some of the responses in here. Generally the router provided by the ISP is hot trash; and it isn't just about signal, its about the devices ability to maintain connection etc. The Virgin Hub 3 for example was just unusable frankly.

I've replaced with a Deco X55 (because I have one).

Soldato
Yeah I don't get some of the responses in here. Generally the router provided by the ISP is hot trash; and it isn't just about signal, its about the devices ability to maintain connection etc. The Virgin Hub 3 for example was just unusable frankly.

I've replaced with a Deco X55 (because I have one).
I'm not sure if you realise the irony of your statement, but Deco are notoriously limited in your ability to adjust anything on the wifi side other than getting the app to optimise for you, nice reliable/simple products, I put them in for family, but highly locked down. As to ISP kit, a decade ago you were right, now they're generally reasonable for the most part and ISP's support third party hardware as a choice, with the exception of Sky who use DHCP 60/61 which requires some minor caution. The issues with the SH3 (why are we talking about a 9-year-old device at this point?) weren't generally wifi related - I could cover a three floor property with one on the middle floor and get acceptable (read 4K streaming) connectivity from top floor to bottom, sadly the TI chipset that Intel inherited when they bought them was seriously flawed and ultimately lead to them withdrawing from the market worldwide. Either way, if you cared, you ran them in modem mode anyway.

One point also in favour of replacing an isp router is the control you get. A lot of isp routers don't let you choose bands, transmit power, etc. So there is that to consider as well.

You're right, but people who have a requirement to run VLAN's, do IDS/IPS, PBR and hardware accelerated VPN etc. generally don't lead with complaining about Wi-Fi signal strength, also transmit power is a mandated maximum for everyone, most routers' auto manage channels at this point because users are generally the last people you want doing that - see the comment above about Deco.

Soldato
I'm not sure if you realise the irony of your statement, but Deco are notoriously limited in your ability to adjust anything on the wifi side
Why would a user with a post like these need to adjust anything on the "WiFi" side? :cry:

As to ISP kit, a decade ago you were right, now they're generally reasonable for the most part
Which decade are you talking? I have received garbage from EE, Sky, Vodafone, Virgin in the last ~3 years.

ISP's support third party hardware as a choice, with the exception of Sky who use DHCP 60/61
Which is replacing the router, no? :S Not sure your point here. Also DHCP Option 61 has been a feature of TP-Link setup wizard for a while. I migrated an ESXI Whitebox OpenIndiana PfSense install over to one for my mum, when Sky gave us some trash router a year or so back that kept having WiFi issues.

with one on the middle floor and get acceptable (read 4K streaming) connectivity from top floor to bottom, sadly the TI chipset that Intel inherited when they bought them was seriously flawed and ultimately lead to them withdrawing from the market worldwide.
Right - which was my point. It isn't just the "WiFi", it is the box dishing out it out, dealing with number of clients, switching, managing encryption, authentication etc. And often they are hot trash.

This is the post which I hadn't realised was you as well, which was particularly confusing. Perhaps you are just misunderstanding the more layman use of the word "wifi" to literally mean the wireless standard and not a generic wireless-internet catch all.
Op, it's really simple, the output power of a router is legally fixed, replacing one router with another will generally give similar results,

Which is odd because as you know most folk have all in one devices.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why would a user with a post like these need to adjust anything on the "WiFi" side? :cry:

Because non-overlapping channels are a thing, and without control, you have to assume logic and have faith in automatic management, a trait that is not as universal as you may wish to believe.

Which decade are you talking? I have received garbage from EE, Sky, Vodafone, Virgin in the last ~3 years.

You've picked three ISP's I know quite well both personally and professionally, including working for 1 of them directly. From the view of an average consumer, EE have used the BT Hub's for the period in question, it's arguably one of the better ISP supplied routers with solid performance. Sky's offering in that period has also been solid, outside of the period you mention they did limit the number of wireless devices that could be connected, but that's not relevant to the period you supplied. Vodafone... well, let's just agree if you make poor ISP choices based on price, you get exactly what you deserve in terms of service, hardware has always been dubious at best, but this is Vodafone, everything is dubious at best. VM's offerings are OK, they have the highest minimum speed guarantee last I looked (though it's laughably low) and as with most things, if you live in a former franchise area that was built to anything approaching a reasonable standard, you get a reasonable service. SH4/5 in the last 3 years won't present any obvious problems.

Which is replacing the router, no? :S Not sure your point here. Also DHCP Option 61 has been a feature of TP-Link setup wizard for a while. I migrated an ESXI Whitebox OpenIndiana PfSense install over to one for my mum, when Sky gave us some trash router a year or so back that kept having WiFi issues.

Don't you just love it when someone selectively quotes you out of context? Ignoring that, TP-Link is one of the few OEM's who support DHCP60/61 in any official manner. I tend not to touch much consumer grade kit any more, but in some cases it's been via beta firmware which TPLink are one of the few large OEM's who will actually interact with users and provide. As stated previously, and you quote later on, if Wi-Fi is the problem, on a like for like basis, replacing one router with another generally won't make a massive difference. If you're already running a virtualised ESXI pfSense (seriously, after all the crap they have pulled you put pf in?) install and migrated it to a TPLink, then Sky's router has no obvious place in your example, unless you did something dumb, like try and get it to act as an AP, and you wouldn't do that.... right?

Right - which was my point. It isn't just the "WiFi", it is the box dishing out it out, dealing with number of clients, switching, managing encryption, authentication etc. And often they are hot trash.

No. We're way past the point of this being a hardware issue with any of the kit discussed being used at residential levels, outside of fringe examples.

This is the post which I hadn't realised was you as well, which was particularly confusing. Perhaps you are just misunderstanding the more layman use of the word "wifi" to literally mean the wireless standard and not a generic wireless-internet catch all.

We're on the network sub-forum of a hardware forum of a niche hardware supplier (that admittedly has become way more mainstream in the last 25
:eek:
years i've used them), so why is it odd that I use terms properly and expect others to? You can, and should, do better.

Which is odd because as you know most folk have all in one devices.

While true, remember where you are. Given the demographic it's not unreasonable to expect a higher percentage than average don't run ISP supplied kit and of those, a significant number have moved away from AIO routers because replacing an AIO when you want to change/improve one of the three main elements is inefficient and unlikely to provide the transformative experience that people are generally looking for. In an ideal world, i'd like everyone to hard-wire an AP on the in the middle of each floor and the same on any extension, run a patch panel and segregate routing from switching to make upgrades easy and only use Wi-Fi for mobile devices. It's not an ideal world, unfortunately. When someone wants to improve Wi-Fi coverage and speed, the answer is usually going to be my 'ideal world' option or a decent mesh system with a bare minimum of wired backhaul on the master node and wherever possible and dedicated rather than shared radios. Why? Because I can almost guarantee a better outcome than replacing a recent AIO with a 3rd party AIO unless they live in a bed-sit.

Soldato
OP
Lots of posts in here and I'll admit a lot of it goes over my head.

I got the tp link ax55 and WiFi signal to my ring doorbell isn't any better at all. The router, as was the ISP one it replaced, is in a very open space, not behind and TVs etc

I might need to look into a mesh system now I suppose

Soldato
Lots of posts in here and I'll admit a lot of it goes over my head.

I got the tp link ax55 and WiFi signal to my ring doorbell isn't any better at all. The router, as was the ISP one it replaced, is in a very open space, not behind and TVs etc

I might need to look into a mesh system now I suppose
How far away is the Ring doorbell?

The AX55 is a mesh device; you can just buy another. But I'm not sure that is going to fix whatever problem you have.

Last edited:
Soldato
OK well you are half way there then. Buy another AX55 and put it half way between your back bedroom and the front door.
You can't be serious... You got it wrong the first time, and your next suggestion is they spend twice as much to get the same outcome as buying a pair of Deco's to fix it?:eek:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom