Which router for £100ish?

Soldato
You can't be serious... You got it wrong the first time, and your next suggestion is they spend twice as much to get the same outcome as buying a pair of Deco's to fix it?:eek:
You seem unable to read the question/read the room. OP has a £100 budget. Deco X55 got them halfway to a mesh system. Of course my answer is wrong if the right answer is:
In an ideal world, i'd like everyone to hard-wire an AP on the in the middle of each floor and the same on any extension, run a patch panel and segregate routing from switching to make upgrades easy and only use Wi-Fi for mobile devices. It's not an ideal world, unfortunately. When someone wants to improve Wi-Fi coverage and speed, the answer is usually going to be my 'ideal world' option or a decent mesh system with a bare minimum of wired backhaul on the master node and wherever possible and dedicated rather than shared radios. Why? Because I can almost guarantee a better outcome than replacing a recent AIO with a 3rd party AIO unless they live in a bed-sit.
:cry: :cry:

P.S. you said you don't know consumer gear that well - X55 has ethernet backhaul and will move OP one step closer to your utopia.

Last edited:
Soldato
You seem unable to read the question/read the room. OP has a £100 budget. Deco X55 got them halfway to a mesh system. Of course my answer is wrong if the right answer is:

:cry: :cry:

P.S. you said you don't know consumer gear that well - X55 has ethernet backhaul and will move OP one step closer to your utopia.
For a moment, it almost felt like you'd forgotten which one of us gave poor quality advice, got upset when it was pointed out, tried to argue about it, failed miserably, then when op came back as predicted and said it didn't work, didn't own it, but tried to double down and go over budget by 50%, then accused the person who gave decent advice with obvious justification of not being able to read the room and being unfamiliar with consumer grade hardware.

I mean, can you actually imagine being that person :cry::cry::cry:

@Drake5 i'm sorry you were given poor advice, sometimes people who should know better make the mistake of telling you what worked for them in the situation they have, rather than trying to understand what will give you the best outcome in yours. If you can return the AX55, that would allow you to get a pair of Deco X20's (£109.99) or X50's (£139.99), unfortunately they were on offer recently and aren't quite as cheap today. The other alternative is you exceed your budget by 50% as suggested by the person who got you into this mess. Good luck with whatever option you choose, but both should provide very similar end results, other than to your bank balance.

Soldato
a pair of Deco X20's (£109.99) or X50's (£139.99)
I think you are confused; so much so you have recommended the non-Broadcom version of the Deco I recommended in post 8. AX55 was a typo; AFAIK that doesn't exist.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I appreciate all the advice you guys have given, thanks for that

I actually don't mind having the AX55, it's got a lot more settings than the ISP provided router I was using before and the wifi speeds to my other devices are better with it

Anyway, now I need to decide whether to get the Deco's or just another AX55 to extend the Wifi signal, I'll do some research and make a decision

Cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
I got the tp link ax55 and WiFi signal to my ring doorbell isn't any better at all

I think you are confused; so much so you have recommended the non-Broadcom version of the Deco I recommended in post 8. AX55 was a typo; AFAIK that doesn't exist.

Behold! A consumer product I don't know anything about... The Archer AX55

Ironically, neither do you.

Last edited:
Soldato
I appreciate all the advice you guys have given, thanks for that

I actually don't mind having the AX55, it's got a lot more settings than the ISP provided router I was using before and the wifi speeds to my other devices are better with it

Anyway, now I need to decide whether to get the Deco's or just another AX55 to extend the Wifi signal, I'll do some research and make a decision

Cheers
Definitely don't get another AX55. That isn't a proper Mesh device like the X55 is.

Soldato
Behold! A consumer product I don't know anything about... The Archer AX55

Ironically, neither do you.
Apology accepted :cry: calling me out for poor advice then giving the advice I gave in post 8 :cry:

Back
Top Bottom