which thermal paste?

Associate
hi,

just recieved a Xigmatek red scorpion cooler this morning and would like to know which paste i should use,

1, the "heat sink silicone compound" made by "sil more" that came with it.

or

2, some AS5 which i've had for around 18 months, will it still be any good?

cheers.

Soldato
Im not a fan of AS5 like i was when 1st came out i prefer MX-2 or MX-3 if you buying new. If you have had the lid on the AS5 and stored in cool place it should fine. Squeeze out a bit and discared then use as normal willl be fine

Soldato
AS-5 was king of the hill at one time but its old school now, who wants to wait 200HRs for it to settle in(cure), treat your cooler to soon OCZ extreme, MX-3 to name two. Better temp's no curing needed, overclock straight away.

Soldato
I use OCZ Freeze with my Red scorpion. A great combo.

OCZ freeze seems to work better on HDT coolers as I tried it on my other rig with a Hyper 212 and it was not efficient. I slapped on MX-2 and temps were around 5 degrees cooler.

Soldato
IC diamond 7 works well for me. A few degrees dropped but maybe that could be due to my applying it rather than the thermal paste supplied on my cooler. Just make sure you warm it through before you use it.
Edit: Only a couple of hours for it to cure too.:D

Associate
OP
cheers guys,

think i'll try my AS5 first and see what temps it gives.

not fitted it yet though(not had the time), still using my freezer 64 with AS5 which i built last xmas.

according to CPUID hardware monitor my idle temp now is 16c and the fan speed is reporting 305rpm, so i'm expecting the xigmatek to peform better and be quieter.

Soldato
Well I just used 5 yr old tube of AS5 on my new build, now have the Q6700 on 1.45v @ 3.7ghz, 40 degrees idle, i'd say its working ok:)

Back
Top Bottom