Which UK political party is better for the motorist?

Associate
[TW]Fox;16481624 said:
Has this ever happened outside of your own imagination?

Although thats taking it to extreme, my mate had to sell a fiesta after only owning for a matter of weeks as we kept getting stoped and searched for drugs cos previous owner was a dealer I guess. They wouldnt take marker off system so was easier to sell on, feel for person that got it, but they will do same no doubt. Being a young male he was screwed, maybe if a old lady buys it she will have better luck:rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Although thats taking it to extreme, my mate had to sell a fiesta after only owning for a matter of weeks as we kept getting stoped and searched for drugs cos previous owner was a dealer I guess. They wouldnt take marker off system so was easier to sell on, feel for person that got it, but they will do same no doubt. Being a young male he was screwed, maybe if a old lady buys it she will have better luck:rolleyes:

Why wouldn't they take it off ?

If the car once belonged to a suspected dealer and it could be verified that was no longer the case then the intel is old and useless and would be taken off ANPR.

Associate
Well we were stopped the 3 times I was in it, we good boys nothing found, I asked copper politly if it could be removed as he just brought car, he said they had to confirm with DVLA the cahnge of sale. Weeks later still was happening so he sold it

Lum

Lum

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16481624 said:
Has this ever happened outside of your own imagination?

It was a contrived example for sure, especially since it would require a much more heavily linked system than what the police currently have, and what government IT contractors are capable of delivering.

However it's not outside the realms of possibility. Once you start looking for patterns in data you tend to find stuff which simply doesn't exist or has perfectly reasonable explanations. Throw in the amount of errors that such a large dataset is likely to contain and a combination of even the tiniest likelihood will eventually crop up and some poor innocent person is going to get screwed by it. Especially when the courts and the police put so much faith in their technology and go to great lengths to avoid anyone proving it's flaws (eg. dropping cases against people who have credible material that they don't want on the court records, or nowadays just trying to bankrupt them with legal fees, USA style)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
A much better example would be the proposed 50mph speed limit on country roads, or the greens' speed limit proposals, that have absolutely no road safety benefit but would be easily enforced through ANPR...

We simply don't have enough protection against legislative stupidity to give up our privacy. Our privacy currently acts as a partial protection against the more stupid and pointless laws that are passed. I'll happily give up more privacy in exchange for explicit limits on the power of the state that ensure they can never be misused.

Back
Top Bottom