Whit's Yer Hing?

Caporegime
Rather than focusing, I've got loads of different hobbies that I don't focus enough on, weight lifting now being the main one.

Weight lifting
Motorbikes
DIY
Golf
Lawn maintenance
Cricket
Family time
Just started playing the piano (have passed grade II)
Road cycling
Going for drives in the countryside
PC (hardly any gaming anymore)

Soldato
This is my 50th year of gigging and it's something I've always been able to do but let's be realistic, my parts aren't that hard.
Tonight I went to a rehearsal with about 10 songs I quickly went through at home but while I was there I learned at least another 10 on the spot.
A quick run through with the lead guitarist and then straight in.
There's also that 'experience' that you just know what chord comes next because so many songs are the same.

Wow that's a long time! I guess there aren't too many sons that are new to you at this point. You play rhythm guitar, keys, and sing, right? That's pretty good going. I know you can sort of feel the chord changes, but I constantly get lost in songs that I've learnt. Again, I think my method of learning songs isn't actually the right method for me - read the tabs, try and play along, keep trying and reading, reading and trying etc

Soldato
Making mods for videogames. Well games that interest me anyway. Theres something satisfying about creating something that didn't exist before and even better when people say "wow this is great, thanks!" though thats not why I do it, hard to say why I do exactly its a creative urge kind of thing? I have a friend who does woodturning got his own workshop and a lathe makes things for friends and family and he's good at it too. Everyone needs a hobby.

GHB or smallpipes? :)
GHB. Wouldn't mind a set of small pipes in the future though!

Hitman
Soldato
Flying for me - can't really beat the freedom or views. I wish I was in a position to do it sooner, but glad I wasn't as I've had to work to get this far. It isn't a hobby per-se for me but I won't stop recreational flying once I've completed all my training.

If you have no ambition of flying commercially then it's really not that expensive to get into and stay current now, and the CAA/EASA are making some ways at making it even more accessible to everyone with small changes to things like the way the exam sittings work and being able to self on a self declaration medical. :)

https://i.imgur.com/RbCPwBz.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/KUSGXtP.jpg

The risk of potentially crashing your expensive plane is exhilarating.

Even more so when you're sat inside it on a gusty day :D

Commissario
Not really. I'd say calisthenics; a combination of cardio and either body weight or light weight exercises is far better for you.

Heavy weight means greater chance of injuries which is the last thing he needs at his age.

I've knackered my shoulder and my tricep bodybuilding. Shoulder made a full recovery after a long time but the tricep needs warming up before it can do anything otherwise it's agony.

Bodybuilding is also very narcissistic. This younger generation are the worst for it too.

Go to the toilet for a **** and there's some kid wetting his eyebrows styling them then checking his collar, etc. In the workplace. I remember the days when people used the toilets to do their business and get out. Now they are looking at the guy next doors junk and styling their eyebrows.

I mean having pride in your looks is one thing but there is a line. Going to be a generation of Patrick Bateman's this love island lot.

No wonder the presenter killed herself they are all mad.

Jesus, I don't know where to begin. You really do sprout some rubbish :/

Soldato
How often can you PC build, is that not just once every couple of years or longer?
That's what's problematic. We buy parts we don't "need" and plan new builds we shouldn't justify. Building and modding is a hobby in its own right.

I have one gaming PC in action, one half built with a load of customisations to do, and all the parts for another. All with custom water cooling setups. Then a couple of old PCs for web browsing etc. I only need one, maybe two PCs max!

Soldato
Instead of finding something new perhaps consider going back in time like I have.
Building my first PC in 15 years, building another rally car (based on a 27 year old car so is going to be a proper nice time consuming effort), started hill walking again, considering racing model cars again, weights three times a week, just bought an old cassette player to get running again, there's lots to do if you think about it.

Don't look forward, look back, and you'll rediscover yourself.

Soldato
Not really. I'd say calisthenics; a combination of cardio and either body weight or light weight exercises is far better for you.

Heavy weight means greater chance of injuries which is the last thing he needs at his age.

I've knackered my shoulder and my tricep bodybuilding. Shoulder made a full recovery after a long time but the tricep needs warming up before it can do anything otherwise it's agony.

Bodybuilding is also very narcissistic. This younger generation are the worst for it too.

Go to the toilet for a **** and there's some kid wetting his eyebrows styling them then checking his collar, etc. In the workplace. I remember the days when people used the toilets to do their business and get out. Now they are looking at the guy next doors junk and styling their eyebrows.

I mean having pride in your looks is one thing but there is a line. Going to be a generation of Patrick Bateman's this love island lot.

No wonder the presenter killed herself they are all mad.

Sure weight lifting gives a high chance of injury, if you lift irresponsibly. Oh wait... :rolleyes:

As for Patrick Bateman in the bathroom, you must go to the wrong gym or you get offended by people being slightly vain. Either way, I couldn't care less what other people are up to aslong as it doesn't directly interfere with me. They're paying as much to do be there as I am.

Caporegime
That's what's problematic. We buy parts we don't "need" and plan new builds we shouldn't justify. Building and modding is a hobby in its own right.

I have one gaming PC in action, one half built with a load of customisations to do, and all the parts for another. All with custom water cooling setups. Then a couple of old PCs for web browsing etc. I only need one, maybe two PCs max!

^^ Relatable.

:D

Associate
Flying for me - can't really beat the freedom or views. I wish I was in a position to do it sooner, but glad I wasn't as I've had to work to get this far. It isn't a hobby per-se for me but I won't stop recreational flying once I've completed all my training.

If you have no ambition of flying commercially then it's really not that expensive to get into and stay current now, and the CAA/EASA are making some ways at making it even more accessible to everyone with small changes to things like the way the exam sittings work and being able to self on a self declaration medical. :)

https://i.imgur.com/RbCPwBz.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/KUSGXtP.jpg

Even more so when you're sat inside it on a gusty day :D

I want to learn to fly in the next couple of years - I'd like to get to the stage where I can do some aerobatic stuff.

The hobbies that I've taken up previously and still do to some extent:

Golf
Weightlifting
Cycling
Running
PC gaming and building
Skydiving
Cars (mostly just enjoying ownership, light modding and driving, but did a spot of racing)

I've dabbled in coding for a number of years, and am currently trying to get more into it in the hope that I might be able to earn money from it in the not-too-distant future. I've also just started trying to get into poker, having played online a few times previously without really having a clue and losing small sums of money.
I also bought a piano a few years ago with the intention of learning to play, but that's mostly been gathering dust. It's still very much on the to do list when I find the motivation though.

Back
Top Bottom