Who actually eats the recommended serving of cereal?

Soldato
^^^^ :D

answering my eggs question - maybe - https://www.researchgate.net/public...role_of_protein-induced_satiation_and_satiety
‘Satiation’and ‘satiety’are key terms that have come to be widely used to help understand processes
involved in appetite control. Satiation is considered to be the signals or processes that bring a meal to an
end, whereas satiety is the signals or processes, following the end of a meal, that inhibit eating before
hunger returns. Protein is the most effective food macronutrient providing a satiating effect. Thus,
formulating foods with increased protein contents can help to modulate food intake, promoting body
weight loss and body weight maintenance thereafter. Mechanisms explaining protein-induced satiety are
primarily nutrient-specific, but they are of course not mathematically related to satiety. Different pro-
teins cause different nutrient-related responses of anorexigenic hormones. Glucagon-like peptide-1
(GLP-1) release evoked by a high protein meal is stimulated by the carbohydrate content. Also, chole-
cystokinin (CCK) and peptide YY (PYY) release is stimulated by a high-protein meal. Sensory, cognitive,
post-ingestive and post-absorptive signals will determine jointly the feeling of satiation and satiety. Oral
perception cues also contribute increased expectations of satiating capacity when the oral residence time
and in-mouth handling are longer and more laborious.
In the present review, the authors want to obtain
an overview of the satiating ability of dietary protein and its role in satiation and satiety. This could be
really significant in showing the food industry the path for developing protein-rich satiating foods in
response to consumer demand

Last edited:
Soldato
No, but I want to be. Honestly, if you adjust to nearer a recommended portion you get used to it.
I lived most of my life on small portions, but arguably still more than the recommended sizes, and I never got used to it. I was always hungry and also 3 stone underweight for the most part.
It's only in the last 10-15 years, once I've been able to afford food without financial worry, that people have stopped asking me if I have an eating disorder.

Associate
I feel like it doesnt really matter what the recommended serving size is. You should have enough to help hit your recommended calorie goal for the day. But I dont think anyone just has 25g of cereal or whatever the serving is :D

Soldato
I stopped buying any cereal with more than 10g of sugar per 100g as I decided to weigh one of my average bowls of cereal one day and it was 90g.

How anyone eats a 30g portion is beyond me. It would take me longer to make the cereal than it would to eat it.

Associate
I weighed my shredded wheat mini bites this morning, 71g. The recommended portion is 40g. I realise that is almost double but I don't think it's too bad, I was expecting much more.

Soldato
I often have cereal - the more childish the better so stuff like cookie crisp, curiously cinnamon, etc - and a protein shake as my pre-workout; 100g of the former at a time so I get through boxes fairly quickly. Isn't something I'd recommend as a staple as far as being a breakfast food goes. The serving size is usually stated as 30-40g, which is far less than the image displayed on the front of the box, which is the sort of amount people tend to go for.

Back
Top Bottom