Who disklikes Andy Murray

Permabanned
I hate how all the papers roll out the "British" when referring to Andy Murray who we ALL know has a disliking for anything England.

Can you remember his "I'll support anyone but England" comments not so long ago. Why are a lot of Scottish like this. If Scotland were in a tournament which England have missed out on I wouldn't boo the Scottish team just for the sake of it.

Do the English still cheer on Andy Murray in matches?

Associate
As a Scot I also dislike him.
However no Englishman has the right to talk about anti-English sentiment in the sports world. The arrogance of the English based media in the sports arena is unparalleled.

alx

alx

Soldato
I hate how all the papers roll out the "British" when referring to Andy Murray who we ALL know has a disliking for anything England.

Can you remember his "I'll support anyone but England" comments not so long ago. Why are a lot of Scottish like this. If Scotland were in a tournament which England have missed out on I wouldn't boo the Scottish team just for the sake of it.

Do the English still cheer on Andy Murray in matches?

I just got used to everybody hating us and stopped fighting it because it was pointless. Whether it's to do with our media or being ex-colonialists I'm not sure but it just seems a fact of life.

I'll keep supporting Murray as he's British even if he does hate England.

Man of Honour
For what it matters I think the whole claiming Andy Murray as British is a load of rubbish as well, if he was English and did well then it would most likely be "a great performance by Andy Murray, doing England proud". If you want to celebrate British athletes performances as a whole then by all means go for it but at the very least I'd like to see a bit of consistency from the media in the way they do it rather than this business of only claiming athletes are British when there aren't any who are English doing well. I'd be entirely happy to celebrate Andy Murray's Britishness and celebrate other English athletes Britishness but it would be easier to do if we had some consistency in approach.

And I quite like Andy Murray for his performances thus far, he has the potential to be top 5 in the World, maybe even win a one of the Grand Slam while he is at it. He seems commited and passionate on the court as well as having a very distinct personality off it, that may not make him easy for everyone to like but it is refreshing compared to the all too frequent bland sponsor friendly athletes out there.

Soldato
I don't believe he's ever said he hates the English or all things English? His girlfriend is from Brighton! I also believe David Beckham made similar remarks about Scotland after former Scottish First Minister Jack McConnell said he wouldn't support England in World Cup 06.

Do i hate Beckham for it? Of course i don't and i don't like or dislike Murray.

Caporegime
I was born in England, but with Scottish family and when asked where I'm from I say British, if I had to pick a country to represent it would be Scotland every time.

The Scots have a lot to be proud of in how their country is wrong, their history and the pride they have.
The English used to be a great country, unfortunately it's a country ruined in how it's run, a lot of the people who reside here and the attitudes of stereotypical English.

So no, I don't dislike Murray for having a dislike of the English. I'm English and feel very much feel the same way.

Soldato
I was born in England, but with Scottish family and when asked where I'm from I say British, if I had to pick a country to represent it would be Scotland every time.

The Scots have a lot to be proud of in how their country is wrong, their history and the pride they have.
The English used to be a great country, unfortunately it's a country ruined in how it's run, a lot of the people who reside here and the attitudes of stereotypical English.

So no, I don't dislike Murray for having a dislike of the English. I'm English and feel very much feel the same way.

pretty much my thoughts on the matter.

although the whole idea of disliking murray because he said "anyone but england" in jest is embarassing. good luck to the lad i say

Soldato

Eh? You say your British and would pick Scotland but yet say you’re English? :confused:

Soldato
I personally cant stand this celtic crap whatever it is...

Born in england but got a great grandmother who is irish "Oh yeah id class myself as irish"... Bull tbh

Welsh are the worst, cant be a car with a friend from wales, anything that happens apparantly the english are the worst on the road too..

Man of Honour
I don't mind Andy Murray and I hope he does well, most of his interviews seem to reveal he's not a bad fella. He's entitled to his opinion, if it doesn't really hurt anybody then so be it.

The media could get annoyed or they could focus on why we have so little tennis talent coming out of England. If there were more English (British) players around then Murray would probably get far less attention by the press for what he says.

Soldato
I do not like him at all! I seem to remember him deciding to support trinidad and tobago instead of England when they played each other in the World Cup. Maybe he was actually seen in a T&T shirt?

Still generally dislike his general attitude

Man of Honour
I do not like him at all! I seem to remember him deciding to support trinidad and tobago instead of England when they played each other in the World Cup. Maybe he was actually seen in a T&T shirt?

That was largely a joke, at least throughout most of the Scots I know, there have been quite a few players from Trinidad & Tobago in the Scottish leagues which gives a sort of connection. However the main point was that one of them, Jason Scotland (playing for St Johnstone at the time if memory serves) was in the T&T team so we had "Scotland" going to the World Cup. :)

Back
Top Bottom