Who has used an architect/draftsman before?

Soldato
Just doing a bit of research, looking to find out what people have paid for architectural services and what stages they've been up to (also whether the person was a registered architect)
Cheers

Associate
It depends what you are looking for; sometimes an architectural technician will do the same job for a lot less money (without being registered) and could possibly do the bulk of the work for the architect anyway!

Soldato
This is useful: http://www.arb.org.uk/public-information/meeting-your-architect-for-the-first-time/

My recommendation is to use a registered architect, as opposed to any other title. Whilst their ability might be similar, a proper "architect" will meet a very high standard of work and their institutuion's code of conduct, including ethical behaviour, etc, and you can report them if you feel they have under-performed i.e. they have something to lose, which is better for your piece of mind.

The typical stages yo umight employ one would be:
- initial feasibility/scheme (you could do that yourself tbh)
- up to planning appliacation (even that you could do if you read up enough about your local planning policies)
- up to tender
- up to end of construction

Ideally you want them all the way, but you could stop at tender, and let the builder carry one, but there remains a risk that if the builder wants to make changes, or changes things, you might not known enough to accept them.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Again, I don't want to appoint an architect just get some information from people who have.
Maybe a mod can close this one as it's not going anywhere.

Caporegime
This is useful: http://www.arb.org.uk/public-information/meeting-your-architect-for-the-first-time/

My recommendation is to use a registered architect, as opposed to any other title. Whilst their ability might be similar, a proper "architect" will meet a very high standard of work and their institutuion's code of conduct, including ethical behaviour, etc, and you can report them if you feel they have under-performed i.e. they have something to lose, which is better for your piece of mind.
Our "proper" architect was bloody useless.

Soldato
We used an architect to design our new build house, they took it from nothing though to getting it through planning. We then tendered ourselves and went and got a main contractor to do the actual build.

Overall i thought they were bloody expensive for what they actually did, the design is good and what we wanted but i struggle to see the justification for the cost in retrospect.

Associate
from memory mine was £800 for plans and planning application. He also made several suggestions for the design, most of which I used.

Associate
We used a guy who seems to be a surveyor/ draughtsman.
He did some drainage investigation, measured existing house and drew up existing house, the extension plans, sorted out planning permission, building warrant, got the structural and sers calcs done. Also got a full set of build plans including timber kit etc etc. Think we payed around 3k.

Soldato
Interesting @sovietspybob what was the cost for your planning (and the build cost of your house?)

I'm not sure exactly as it was about 4 or 5 years ago now but i think in the region of 5-6k, that was for full topo survey of land, drawing up full plans, planning permission and probably other stuff i've forgotten. To be fair everyone who used/saw the plans commented on how well they were done and how detailed they were which seemed to help but it did come at a price.

I think the build cost of the house was around the 200k-250k mark

Associate
It depends what you are looking for; sometimes an architectural technician will do the same job for a lot less money (without being registered) and could possibly do the bulk of the work for the architect anyway!

I work as a senior Architectural Technician, basically my job consists of making an Architects designs work in the real world if you catch my drift, prices vary so much for quotes though Planning Permission is the hard part, building regs is straightforward as there a set of guidelines to work to.

Planning seems to rely on what side of the bed the planning officer got out of that morning (I kid you not).

Cheers all

Soldato
My architect (supplied by the builder) was awful. When I asked the builder why the architect was so incompetent I was told he was the best of a bad bunch.

Associate
Not a bit surprised most of the architects I have come across do not have practical ideas/ways of working at all (my current employer is obsessed with making everything look thin & skinny whereas in reality its not possible to do that), also the fees that they charge are such a rip off but they always seem to use their charm/status into conning the clients to paying them, I am sure they get a kick out of forcing their ideas onto people who don't even want what they are offering/designing

Cheers all

Associate
Planning seems to rely on what side of the bed the planning officer got out of that morning (I kid you not).

When I worked for a building company, there seemed to be 2 kinds of planning officers... those who were off in a dream world as to what they wanted and wouldn’t compromise and those who were completely open to accepting reasonable discussion about what you were trying to achieve and how that would could be consider to work with the local plan.

Soldato
I've recently had a breakdown of costs from an architect and I found the price steep so I haven't followed up.

We want a single storey extension on the back of our 1930s semi. It seems a pretty straightforward design idea to me.

Just gotta work out what to do. If anyone has a recommendation around east Midlands I'd appreciate it.

Caporegime
I've recently had a breakdown of costs from an architect and I found the price steep so I haven't followed up.

We want a single storey extension on the back of our 1930s semi. It seems a pretty straightforward design idea to me.

Just gotta work out what to do. If anyone has a recommendation around east Midlands I'd appreciate it.

Single or double storey?

I would expect £1200 per sq metre, double for 2 floors + 8% for fee + 5% contingency.

Soldato
Single story. Spanning width of house so about 5m wide i guess.

By breakdown of costs i meant the architects fees sorry. We've not actually had plans or anything.

I just emailed an architect and he give me a list of what he charges for each stage . Seemed high.

Back
Top Bottom