Who here owns a Subaru?

Soldato
There is little info out there at the moment as not many have been imported yet, quite a following in the US but they had a slightly different spec engine.

It "seems" that the JDM version is twin scroll, a EJ255. Apparently the setup in the US is similar but lower powered due to them not having the twin scroll. However, its quite hard to get solid info :)

Yeah, there is a 3.6 H6 version of this model which really appealed in Outback form but the turbo models just look a bit better

Soldato
Got myself all excited overnight having instructed the importer to put a bid on this. The sheet said oxide on suspension but turned out to be really quite bad throughout so they decided to leave it.

Interesting how the smaller auction houses are generous when it comes to grading - this was a 4.5 and 48K KMs. Wasn't too surprised as it's in Hokkaido. Shame as it looks mint.
49679245557_f21ce9a102.jpg

Man of Honour
There is little info out there at the moment as not many have been imported yet, quite a following in the US but they had a slightly different spec engine.

It "seems" that the JDM version is twin scroll, a EJ255. Apparently the setup in the US is similar but lower powered due to them not having the twin scroll. However, its quite hard to get solid info :)

Yeah, there is a 3.6 H6 version of this model which really appealed in Outback form but the turbo models just look a bit better

AFAIK the US Legacy of that generation got the FA20DIT, which is err somewhat made of chocolate

Soldato
Naa, its the EJ25 in the US too, just a slightly different version with a little less power. I think they also had the CVT whereas the JDM is a traditional auto.

The later ones got the FA20 in JDM models only it seems, 2014 on

Associate
My first ever Subaru, which I have owned 19 days now but I have not yet driven it. I decided to get myself a cheap project car and this came up super cheap as its a CAT S, written off due to the damaged slam panel which I have sourced for £300 roughly and will get a friend to weld it in. Spec wise its stock, pearl white, manual, heated half leathers, CD player, auto lights/wipers power fold mirrors etc.

Before the lockdown kicked in I managed to source 99% of the bits to get it back on the road including a full facelift front end, the only part I am missing is the crucial one, the front slam panel which all the stuff bolts too. I ordered it 3 weeks ago and I am still waiting as Subaru UK didnt have one in stock, the Toyota one was twice the price, so its now on its way direct from Japan, as you can imagine in the current climate, it may take a few more weeks. Overnight parts from Japan feels like a myth right now.

So the build is on hold until that arrives. The plan is to go for an STI inspired build with a full respray, STI body parts and future engine mods either a turbo or supercharger. Unfortunately not many STI parts are available in the UK either and again will need to be imported from the US or Japan. I am holding off ordering parts from outside the UK until everything is back to normal.

Untitled by James Baker, on Flickr

While I am awaiting parts, I've fitted facelift style rear lights, an Apple Car Play Head unit, debadged the rear end:

Soldato
Cool project @tweedbean

Washed mine for the 2nd time in a week and it's only moved once but was covered in bird crap and filth from some rain.

Not quite bored enough to give it a machine polish yet, maybe in a week or two.

I did fit an Atoto headunit and underseat sub the last month which could be classed as a small project.. Headunit has gesture control :D

What's the state of your rear spoiler and tailgate?

I'd noticed recently the paint on mine was really dull and faded, whipped out the 3" DA and it's clear the paint is completely shot. The paint seems pretty easy to work with though, only had a go on the rear but seems nice and easy to correct where the paint is decent to start with.

Soldato
Really do love how that looks.

Cheers bud. Needs lowering a touch and a nice exhaust needs to go on :D

What's the state of your rear spoiler and tailgate?

I'd noticed recently the paint on mine was really dull and faded, whipped out the 3" DA and it's clear the paint is completely shot. The paint seems pretty easy to work with though, only had a go on the rear but seems nice and easy to correct where the paint is decent to start with.

Apart from a couple of tiny dings up front and in the driver door, the paint is in great condition, just need to get rid of the swirls.

Soldato
I thought @tweedbean had a Mini?! :eek:

MOT on Monday for this ****box :D It's been ready for a couple of months but CoVID landed at just the right time to throw a spanner in the works.

080520_rear.jpg

Wheels are in dire need of a refurb and really let the car down. Once this is all over, it'll be having the bumpers and sideskirts painted too.

Soldato
OP
Your flaps are missing m9.

I've SORN'd mine and I'll let the MOT expire too. Although I'm still working as normal and both of us are still on full pay, I'm using the opportunity to squirrel some money away as my mortgage deal is up later in the year, so hopefully I can take a small chunk off the mortgage if I need to.

Now I just need to clean the Subaru properly, all I've managed so far is the wheels and arches. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom