Who here owns a Subaru?

Soldato
I don't expect many people have had experience of this so maybe a yay or nay for CVTs in general but...... the Levorg....

While my daily car is still going strong, it is getting on a bit now and it's always in the back of my mind that it will need replacing in the next couple of years. I've had ideas for a suitable replacement for a while now but recently I think I've discounted diesel due to the increasing hate for it and the general move to hybrid petrol or EV.

The replacement will definitely be a quick-ish estate and so I've considered a 3.0 H6 Legacy but can't shake the feeling of a more modern Levorg. I'm not a fan of the chrome trims but I think with a bit of colour coding and de-chroming, they look excellent and overall very similar to the VA WRX STi.

After doing a bit of research, most of the UK variants are pretty pathetic with the choice of either a 150ps or 170ps petrol so if I went with one it would have to be the imported ~270ps GT-S.

The issue is though, the gearbox. I've never driven, or really known too much about the CVT but it didn't take me long to find page after page of reasons why you should avoid any car with a CVT. Are they really that bad? The Levorg isn't available (to my knowledge) with a manual, so it's CVT or nothing, and that would be a shame!

Sure I could STi swap it.... but then where would I get the running gear from??? :o

Last edited:
Soldato
There is a 300ps GT, GT-S or STI, the newer models are 275ps from 2021 I believe

If you import next year, you can avoid any grief and get it imported easily under the 10 year rule, I reckon they would be about £8k imported using that method.

I'm the same as you, I have only heard poor things about the CVT, even the EAT5 auto is regarded as better, but truth is I have never driven one so maybe its fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
How to make jam with a 2.5 Subaru:

AP1GczMo1PavvDNb5TMnDRGtUuGg03-Vjneerq1RoKZdPyNeyEwJZ0GwHu19dlbHQ44wwF-77mZShIT39bd9yXBzMHAT_hJ1o0_Xu98_5H0n5GlhO8qevHJQ46wzMAzU9hywh5t5yW4rA3Yz7Z6Sok2WpXLW=w709-h945-s-no-gm

Back
Top Bottom