Poll: who is at fault here

Who was at fault?

• Bike

Votes: 102 36.2%
  • Woman

Votes: 106 37.6%
  • Equally at fault, I've deduced that while sitting with a digestive biscuit and a steaming hot bovril

Votes: 74 26.2%

• Total voters
Soldato
(not me on the bike and I am not the old lady either)

it popped up on my watch links for some reason. no argument from me which ever way you side but I genuinely do not know legally who is in the wrong

personally whilst I would say the woman should have looked where she was going, I would say the motorbike is going to fast considering riding in the middle of stationary traffic.... but legally I would have no idea.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Bike. Failed to stop, not even sure you're technically allowed to do that in stationary traffic
Of course you are, he's filtering.

Biker should have been more alert and probably a bit slower. Woman should have actually looked where she was going.

Legally I'd guess the biker is 100% at fault.

Soldato
Are bikes allowed to zip through? Genuine question?
Ie. Traffic is stationary
Quick Google:

Is bike filtering illegal?

Contrary to popular belief, filtering through stationary or slow-moving traffic is not illegal. In fact, one of the many attractions of riding a motorcycle is the ability to get through traffic quickly and safely by filtering, which is a fundamental skill learned by most motorcyclists.

Soldato
OP
She literally ran into the road without looking lol. Assuming he wasn't speeding he did nothing wrong. keep speed to a minimum sure but you cannot avoid situations like that.
in normal road conditions i would probably agree with you but he was squeezing down 2 lanes of queuing traffic... i am not certain but i think that puts the responsibility on the biker more. Totally agree she should have looked however

Last edited:
Associate
Bike. It should be considered in stationary traffic like that in an urban environment there is reasonable chance that there will be pedestrians crossing. The woman perhaps should have been a little more aware herself but ultimately the biker is travelling too fast for the conditions, given the situation, as was evidenced by being unable to safely brake or avoid the old woman attempting to cross the road in stationary traffic. He is the one riding a potentially lethal vehicle and should have been driving it as such.

Ultimately one of those unfortunate incidents where the biker 99.99% of time would come across that without incident and likewise 99.99% of time pedestrian would not be crossing so inattentively at the very moment a bike is filtering.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Quick Google:

Is bike filtering illegal?

Contrary to popular belief, filtering through stationary or slow-moving traffic is not illegal. In fact, one of the many attractions of riding a motorcycle is the ability to get through traffic quickly and safely by filtering, which is a fundamental skill learned by most motorcyclists.

In that case. The woman is at fault. No chance to see her in time.

Every day is a learning day.

Last edited:
Soldato
in normal road conditions i would probably agree with you but he was squeezing down 2 lanes of queuing traffic... i am not certain but i think that puts the responsibility on the biker more
Legally it's fine. Even if he was doing the 20mph he claims which he may well have been she still ran into a road without looking. It's totally on her.

Bikers should ride defensively and it's possible his speed was slightly too high, I have no way of checking but you cannot account for people randomly running into a road. He had no time to react at all, even if he was going slower.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom