Who needs aircon when you can just open a window?

Soldato
NickXX said:
The ********* turns on the climate control, otherwise it's just a normal heater :p

You see that's the thing I never got because it didn't on mine. Climate control is all about setting a desired temperature and the car regulating the use of the heaters and air con to get the cabin that temperature.

Turn that ********* on in winter with the temeprature setting at 21 say and you will get ice cold air coming out of the blowers. If it turned the climate contorl on then it wouldn't do that.

Associate
DezUk said:
My aircon has been knackered for a while, all I get is warm air when I turn it on. I tried using a re gassing kit recently but when I applied it I could hear the gas being forced out some where else in the system.

I've heard it can be a pricey repair so just left it and drove around with the windows all the time.

Had the same thing in my MK2 mondy and it was down to a leaking condenser. It sits nicely at the front of the car in a great position for stones to flick up and damage it. Ford the jokers wanted £600 to repair but a local friendly garage used a pattern part, and it cost me £220.

Soldato
BigT said:
You see that's the thing I never got because it didn't on mine. Climate control is all about setting a desired temperature and the car regulating the use of the heaters and air con to get the cabin that temperature.

Turn that ********* on in winter with the temeprature setting at 21 say and you will get ice cold air coming out of the blowers. If it turned the climate contorl on then it wouldn't do that.

I find climate control a bit of a gimmick anyway - I never really noticed any difference between CC and AC. The ********* button on the BMW panel just turns on the A/C compressor - so it cools and, importantly in the winter, dries the air. I found that in the winter you had to set the temp quite high to stop it from blowing out cool air (despite the ambient temperatures being very cold).

I guess the CC function just turns the fan speed up and down automatically - the a/c compressor never seems to turn on or off when the 'Star' is on.

Soldato
NickXX said:
I guess the CC function just turns the fan speed up and down automatically - the a/c compressor never seems to turn on or off when the 'Star' is on.

You see that's my point about CC in the BMW. In my new car CC does what it's supposed to do and turns compressors on and off, varies fan speeds, turns heaters on/off and whatever else it needs to do so that my cabin temperature remains exactly what I ask of it. That's not the case with the BMW. If I want my cabin 16 degrees then I expect the car to get it to that temeprature without any more intervention on my part.

Anyhow, it is only a minor point so I'll stop waffling on about it.

Associate
I drive a 53 plate (I think) Polo 1.4 and the air con is crap. You only start getting cold with on the third out of four settings fan speed. Does turning the "internal air" thing on make it more efficient as it doesn't have to cool outside air too?

Soldato
Climate control is definitely a must for me in any car i buy from now on.

In winter it dries your car out gets rid off all your condensation and in summer it cools the car down nicely. In under 2 minutes you are in comfort. :D

Back
Top Bottom