Who needs aircon when you can just open a window?

I've been driving my mothers car with air con. She used to have climate but for some reason her new car only has AC. When using it - is it better to have it on recirculate rather than the other option?

The AC is naff in this car though... get slightly cold but not ice cold like the one with climate. Best AC is that in my uncles Vogue... the RR sport is pretty icey too.

The Saab's aircon is easily one of the better ones i've been in, and you don't notice it on fuel consumption

Depends what you want from your car really, when I had the Pulsar I couldn't have cared less about aircon, in fact I ripped it out. But with the Saab I find myself enjoying the cool and quietness

Mikol said:
I've been driving my mothers car with air con. She used to have climate but for some reason her new car only has AC. When using it - is it better to have it on recirculate rather than the other option?

The AC is naff in this car though... get slightly cold but not ice cold like the one with climate. Best AC is that in my uncles Vogue... the RR sport is pretty icey too.

yer, fan on full, AC on and recirculate equals uber cool, uber quick!

When I got the vRS the air con was faulty and did a trip in 26oC, and the wind was so warm with windows down it felt worse than having them up!

Lucky got the aircon fixed and had a re-gass, and the climate control is superb in this temp!

Also the old ITR aircon took a while too get the car cold, where as the vRS get's it down within a couple of minutes. Saying that dads Accord is very cold in a matter of a couple of minutes. The Corollas air con was just middle ground.

lukechad said:
Windows down and the breeze through the hair for the win! Ok traffic can cause some problems! Lets face it though, how often is the UK this hot?

To be honest, it's usually quite warm for most of the Summer months - I've been using my aircon for months now.

Then it has the excellent demisting properties in winter. It's brlliant.

Fusion said:
Buy a car with a bigger engine.
but then that would have defied the point of my cheap car.

on stuff like the audi or the merc, it was not noticable, and i suppose when they already weigh 1600kg plus... then what difference does another 50kg make lol

The_Dark_Side said:
isn't 20 degrees F equal to -7 degrees C though?

not very likely that such a setting exists in a car air con system. :confused:
Surely, a country like Japan (assuming this is where the car was imported from) will all be in metric, therefore degrees C anyway?

Do ACs have off switches?

Mines set to 20, all year every day every trip, why would you not have your AC on, its not just for cooling in the summer you know, it heats aswell.

All I need is a remote start so I can cool the car down before leaving work :)

Ring Peace said:
Do ACs have off switches?

Mines set to 20, all year every day every trip, why would you not have your AC on, its not just for cooling in the summer you know, it heats aswell.

All I need is a remote start so I can cool the car down before leaving work :)

Off switches are often labelled "Economy" mode or similar.

My BMW had climate control but you needed to press the switch looking like a ********* to get truly cold air going into the cabin. Leaving it not lit up was fine in winter and the climate control would get the car temeprature to what you wanted but in the summer it couldn't do its job properly without it.

I have to say even when I did have aircon I selodom used it anyway. It's just never hot enough really, bar a few days in the summer - I did use it, but only for a few weeks of the year. It would be interesting to go back to AC later on whenever I get a new car.

Must admit i have a folding hard top megan but have left the roof on the pass couple of days and had the air con on. Nearly got sun stroke the other day so prefer the air con now.

Having the roof down is only good for posing

BigT said:
Off switches are often labelled "Economy" mode or similar.

My BMW had climate control but you needed to press the switch looking like a ********* to get truly cold air going into the cabin. Leaving it not lit up was fine in winter and the climate control would get the car temeprature to what you wanted but in the summer it couldn't do its job properly without it.

The ********* turns on the climate control, otherwise it's just a normal heater :p

chesterstu said:
Must admit i have a folding hard top megan but have left the roof on the pass couple of days and had the air con on. Nearly got sun stroke the other day so prefer the air con now.

Having the roof down is only good for posing

Bloody wimp :p

I'm no poser - it's just fun having the wind in your hair! :D It's posing if you bob your head to loud music whilst checking out "da ladyeeez" etc... ;)

My car needs the aircon re-gassing, so at the moment its windows open which isn't too bad until I reach a bit of traffic.

At the moment I'm more worried about the possibility of it needing a new gearbox or driveshafts :(

My aircon has been knackered for a while, all I get is warm air when I turn it on. I tried using a re gassing kit recently but when I applied it I could hear the gas being forced out some where else in the system.

I've heard it can be a pricey repair so just left it and drove around with the windows all the time.

Back
Top Bottom