Who owned a Dreamcast?

Associate
I had one until my ex lent it out and I never saw it again :( I had tons for it but my top 2 games had to be Shemue 1+2 they were beyond epic! I just wish that a 3rd one was done :(

Stoner81.

Soldato
When the Dreamcast died, my status as a "console gamer" died alongside it. The end of that console marked the end of an era for me as a "gamer".

I had a choice between Dreamcast and a PlayStation on my birthday. I really wanted a PlayStation but my brother managed to convince me to get a Dreamcast. One of the best choices I've made in my life. And to think I was this close to not owning a Dreamcast, makes me shudder.

I can still recall the disc reading sounds like it was yesterday.

Last edited:
Soldato
I did :D Loved my Dreamcast, I was addicted to Crazy Taxi. Lot better than the PS2 version.

Oh and Chu Chu rocket, simple but addictive :).

This sums me up perfectly. I still have some BNIB controllers and mem cards etc. I keep meaning to get another console but haven't got round to it yet.

Soldato
Great console, you rarely hear a gamer have many bad words to say about it. Sadly its ability to please the hardcore was only matched by its inability to compete commercially with the PS2.

It didn't help that EA abandoned them, but the Playstation brand was so strong in that era that it really didn't matter what Sega did.

Soldato
It didn't help that EA abandoned them, but the Playstation brand was so strong in that era that it really didn't matter what Sega did.

Indeed, it was a huge shame. I think 2 other nails sealed the fate of the dreamcast aswell, The lack of DVD playback, and the lackluster copy protection.

It was an amazing device, with fantastic games. It just couldnt the fight the uphill battle against what the PS2.

I also loved the reading sound of the discs mentioned earlier in the thread :D

Soldato
I have a 2 or 3, one on launch, i remember going in with my ps2 to get it, and coming out with something that felt amazing but bloody heavy :D.

And when soul calibre came out, it was awesome.

Soldato
I enjoyed Power Stone, wouldn't say I loved it. Now Soul Calibur, that blew my damn mind. That's the thing about Dreamcast, it was absolutely rammed with games that were either completely original, or refined a genre way beyond anything we'd seen previously.

Soldato
Had one in the day too. Soul Calibur blew me away. I went from a PS1 to the majesty that was Soul Calibur. You have to remember the PS2 or the Xbox weren't even out yet and wouldn't be for a couple of years.

From this
scaled.php

To this
scxblalead.jpg

Was absolutely mental and has yet to be matched in terms of generational leaps.

So many 60fps games too. The Dreamcast was the gold standard for its day and one of the purest consoles ever.

Soldato
If only the VMUs took AAA batteries. :p

One they ran out I never bothered to replace them.

Same.

Only use ever by themselves was for Sonic Adventure's Chao Tamagotchi-type game and even then after a while it became a chore and just ate up the battery too much.

Was absolutely mental and has yet to be matched in terms of generational leaps.

When you look at the original arcade version of Soul Calibur and then see what Namco was able to produce for the home version, it was very "next gen" back then.

Last edited:
Soldato

After doing some work placement with a studio for my degree, the word in the industry is that Sony chucked a huge wedge of cash their way to abandon the console.
Similar to how Sony paid huge amounts to film studio's to drop HD-DVD.

Although they were mostly ex-SEGA staff so maybe a little bitter, one guy commented that it wasn't cash in hand so to speak but rather an 'offer EA couldn't resist' license wise, in return for abandoning SEGA.

Last edited:
Soldato
i still got mine:) best game console ever:)

i have pretty much every game relevant that point like soul calibur, sega gt, sega rally 2, wwf royal rumble, virtua soccer 2, virtua tennis, vf3, sf3 third strike, mvc2, cvs, cvs2, sf alpha 3, quake 3, crazy taxi, sheume 1 and 2, power stone 2, virtua on ot, skies of acradia, pso, sonic adventure 1 and 2 and other japanese games.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seen Dreamcast along with other retro console at my local market last saturday for £20 each, regretted not buying it then. Hopefully I can grab them if I do see them this week.

Soldato
I remember seeing one in the argos catalog and wanting it badly, but knowing Id never have one (I was 8 or so and my parents weren't too keen on me gaming). I remember seeing a demo model playing a fps game in my local GAME too, It looked Incredible. Anyway, I got one a few years ago when I realised I am a big boy now and can buy what I want and picked one up for £15 from my local bootsale. I ended up getting a vga box thing for It and everything! I was surprised at how well it held up, especially the likes of shenmue, crazy taxi... I had one racing game (might have been sega racing, could upgrade my car and even design my own I think...) which had an annoying physics engine when if I touch the wall at the edge of the track, you bounce off It and slow down a bit. Really annoying when I stated bouncing from wall to wall on the narrow sections. on the otherhand, the triggers were great- must have been revolutionary (and maybe annoying) back when it launched!

Associate
I didn't have one back in the day but I've got one now. There was so much done right with the DC that paved the way for what we have now (controller, vga, modem etc.). Shame it went belly up.

Soldato
I used to own one. In my opinion it was the best of that generation of console. I preferred it to the PS2 and Xbox.

I remember getting an imported Japanese console for my 15th birthday. I was absolutely blown away. So many good games as well.

It was a real shame, the way it went out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom