Who to use as Englands Strikers

Man of Honour
Originally posted by wohoo
I havent really seen too much of rooney, what is his finishing etc like, is he a potent goal scorer? why i ask this is, if we play play rooney and say someone like smith, we havent really got a potent striker there, or have we?

I wanna see more of beattie next season, im still not convinced he isnt a one season wonder?

Rooney isn't really a goal-snatcher like Owen, he's more like Henry in that he'll make a lot of his own goals (such as the ones against Arsenal both times, and Leeds). Rooney is capable of putting them in from 35 yards, or dribbling through 3 players and putting it away. However, as Everton don't play the type of game that'll let him be a "sniffer", I'm not sure how he'd be in that role. I think if he starts a good run of games for Everton, rather than being a sub every other game, we'll see what he can do.

Permabanned
Thats the thing atm, we dont really know how good he can actually become, to me he seems to have the lot,strength,control pace etc...........

Time will tell

Man of Honour
Originally posted by wohoo
Thats the thing atm, we dont really know how good he can actually become, to me he seems to have the lot,strength,control pace etc...........

Time will tell

I think he has the potential to go on and become one of, if not the best player in the world. However, we've seen so many talents like that not live up to their potential that I'm not hoping for that much. As long as he develops well and stays with Everton I'll be happy :)

Soldato
Interesting opinions here. Personally i can't understand the press hysteria at Rooney, I thought he played well, but not the earth shattering messiah that he's being touted as. He's 17, still developing, one for the future. Let's not ruin him.

Owen: yes he's class on his day, but not the player he was at the euro champs a few years ago. Deffo not an automatic selection.

Vassell: Has done very little for Villa this year, but then who has? On his club performances IMO (And i'm a villa fan) should not be in the team.

Heskey: Emile who?? seriously, worth keeping an eye on, but not in the team.

Jeffers: Must be on the verge of selection, playing well for Arsenal when he plays, and had a good U21 game the other day.

Defoe: Don't know him well enough to comment.

Andy Cole: Getting on a bit, but still capable. If he hits a vein of form he must be worthy of thought.

Chris Sutton: See Andy Cole

James Beattie: having the best season of his career so far. Dare he be left out??

I've tried to bring some other names into the discussion simply because of the names mentioned so far, only Heskey is (allegedly) a big, tall, strong header of the ball.

My choices would be Jeffers alongside Cole or Sutton with Beattie playing just behind.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thing about Sutton is no one has really seen him play since he moved to Celtic. He was excellent at Blackburn won an England cap, Chelsea bought him and he did nothing. Celtic bought him and its "Chris who??".

You don't just lose abilty like that - he must be worth a scouting trip.

Soldato
He, like Heskey, is always worth a look at, but I would sooner have Vassel, Jeffers, Defoe, Beattie or Rooney in the team. That is why I don't rate Chris Sutton - he doesn't compare in my personal opinion to the competition for his place.

Plus you don't improve by moving to Scotland, everyone else just makes you look like you have :p No offence to Scotland obviously hehe.

Soldato
Originally posted by [ASSE]Hinchy
He, like Heskey, is always worth a look at, but I would sooner have Vassel, Jeffers, Defoe, Beattie or Rooney in the team. That is why I don't rate Chris Sutton - he doesn't compare in my personal opinion to the competition for his place.

Plus you don't improve by moving to Scotland, everyone else just makes you look like you have :p No offence to Scotland obviously hehe.

that is disgraceful, Celtic recently beat Liverpool who have a lot of England players in their team.

Soldato
I think Sutton is worth looking at, he's got reasonable height and air ability unlike most the forwards mentioned. Used to have a quality finish too which I doubt he's lost.

Soldato
Yes they did, but I'm not talking about Celtic's players as Sutton plays for them. I'm on about the competition Celtic, and Rangers, both face in their league - which is none :)

Don't get me wrong, I rate Celtic and Rangers highly, I'm just saying that their competition isn't great which is why it is perhaps a little false to say that players have improved since going to Scotland, thats all. Apologies for the misunderstanding :) I was over the moon to see them beat Liverpool :p

Soldato
Oh, thanks. I felt really bad before ;) :p hehe. I just wish Shearer would come out of retirement. Although having seen the way Rooney performed I feel he has to play all the time. Sure he's 17 but he looks more than capable of looking after himself in a physical season for Everton and England. Unless something really stuffs up in his career soon, he will be an all time great. I am sure of that. Of all youngsters that come through, he has something special that I haven't seen before.

Soldato
Of all youngsters that come through, he has something special that I haven't seen before.

Agreed, but he is still 17. He's not the finished article, he's one for the future.

There are other forwards who can start matches while he develops at Everton and the U21 squad

I can fully sympathise with Moyes over his full squad inclusion.

Lest we forget, the last person we were talking like this over was Michael Owen.

Soldato
Oh, thanks. I felt really bad before ;) :p hehe. I just wish Shearer would come out of retirement. Although having seen the way Rooney performed I feel he has to play all the time. Sure he's 17 but he looks more than capable of looking after himself in a physical season for Everton and England. Unless something really stuffs up in his career soon, he will be an all time great. I am sure of that. Of all youngsters that come through, he has something special that I haven't seen before.

he is goldmine too, imagine how much money he will gerenerate for everton, god knows how much he'll be worth on the market in 5 years

Soldato
Originally posted by The Edge
Lest we forget, the last person we were talking like this over was Michael Owen.

rooney has a lot more to his game than Owen though. Owen came around at a time when England were REALLY desperate. Sheringham's performances were poor and Shearer wasn't fully fit at the time. He came at a time when England really needed some new blood. He had raw pace, something none of the England team had.

Rooney has pace, but plenty of other skills too. Dribbling, passing, first touch, and most important of all in today's game - STRENGTH. He's 17 and doesn't get pushed around by anyone. Look at Owen. He gets the ball and is knocked over easily. Rooney gets it and holds it up. He brings others into play. Owen doesn't seem capable of that. He needs to be running onto throughballs, something Rooney can give him. I really would try to develop that partnership as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom