Associate
One option is to fly here and rent a bike for a few days if you want to avoid the trip itself.

I worked out that it was better value to do that for shorter trips that taking my own bike on the motorway for a day each way.

Can you give some details on where you would rent the bike out from. Thinking about doing this and just want to weigh up the costs of it all.

Cheers

dsb

dsb

Associate
Kreeee, them routes look epic, cant wait, been thinking about it quite a bit, mainly on my route to yours, do i go through france, get the ferry to spain then glide through the Pyrenees so much to think about.

Man of Honour
OP
Kreeee, them routes look epic, cant wait, been thinking about it quite a bit, mainly on my route to yours, do i go through france, get the ferry to spain then glide through the Pyrenees so much to think about.

The routes are indeed epic! I've done them all except for my dream road, the Centovalli!

I've never actually done the route from the UK to here so I'm actually clueless about the best options.

Soldato

You can do Calais to Switzerland in a day on the right bike, but if you've got a few days to spare beforehand the ferry to Spain is a good plan.

The problem is there's loads of great routes that way, the Picos national park, Pyrenees, route Napoleon, etc. I'll probably do that area in another trip.

Man of Honour
OP
You can do Calais to Switzerland in a day on the right bike, but if you've got a few days to spare beforehand the ferry to Spain is a good plan.

The problem is there's loads of great routes that way, the Picos national park, Pyrenees, route Napoleon, etc. I'll probably do that area in another trip.

I've never ridden in Spain, I'd love to one day.

dsb

dsb

Associate
I've done the Spain route, is amazing. Would mean back through France so one huge loop. Or do I go through Germany.

Soldato
Black forest and the B500 ;)

That's what I'm thinking of doing, day 1 hit the motorways down to Baden Baden/Black forest, then day 2 across to the Dolomites spending 2 nights there, then 2 nights at a campsite on Lake Garda, then heading across the alps to Kreeeeee's on the Saturday (if I leave here Monday morning) :D

Man of Honour
OP
Black forest and the B500 ;)

That's what I'm thinking of doing, day 1 hit the motorways down to Baden Baden/Black forest, then day 2 across to the Dolomites spending 2 nights there, then 2 nights at a campsite on Lake Garda, then heading across the alps to Kreeeeee's on the Saturday (if I leave here Monday morning) :D

The black forest is just OK, but then this is coming from a massively spoiled point of view.

Last edited:
Soldato
The black forest is just OK, but them this is coming from a massively spoiled point of view.

Yeah, when you're used to riding pothole strewn bumpy roads filled with 40mph Sunday drivers every week, anything smooth with more than 4 bends in a row is heaven as far as I'm concerned :D

Lets face it, you live in probably the best part of the world for biking roads.

Soldato
Well here is my app form, soo far looks like I will be able to attend. :p

How long have you been riding for? 16 years
Are you experienced with riding mountain roads? Yes
How long would you like to visit for? 1 week
How many km's per day would be ideal? - 300/400km
Are you looking to maximise riding time or to experience the views and other activities too? everything :)
Are you happy to be recorded if all faces and plates are blurred? Yes
What type of weather/temperature would you like (it reached 38 degrees here last summer)? Don't mind any, better without rain :)
Would you rather stay in a large communal room at my house or hotels/hostels? If you don't mind the snoring :D
Would you prefer to bring your own bike (if so what bike) or rent here? I will take my own (so far a Suzuki Gladius SFV650, maybe I will replace it next year)

Also would be nice for the ones ridding from UK to meet before so we could make the trip together and/or stop one day in France.

dsb

dsb

Associate
So that’s my ferry booked from Portsmouth to Bilbao on the 22 Aug 17. Cant be bothered getting there via France as it only gets nice down south, but quite happy to get home in a couple of day from Switzerland on the Motorways.

If anyone fancies sharing a cabin I can give you my reference number and we can split the cost.

Infact if anyone wants to join me there more than welcome, will be camping and 6 - 7 hour days in the saddle, i dont intend to use a single highway, unless i really need to press on.

Last edited:
Associate
Wow this sounds awesome! I would be well up for this if it wasn't the weekend I'm supposed to be getting married!

I'm also not sure I could keep up being a new rider and on a Harley!

If you do another let me know.

Man of Honour
OP
I need to update the OP with information about how we will group ride, but your speed is not important at all.

The passes are tens on KM's long, and the fast guys go first and wait at the summits and valleys of each mountain to circle jerk and high five while we wait for the rest of the group.

If this is a success and the boss (wife) allows, I will be doing this every year.

Back
Top Bottom