Whos been to the Kennedy Space center?

Soldato
Im in the throws of organising a holiday, there are 2 main parts to it:
1) I need to go to a wedding in Pensecola florida
2) Pick up on the things I missed the lastime I went to florida back in 2003.

The main thrust of part 2 is The space center, I really wanted to go (have since I was a little kid) but last time I was in florida nobody else would go with me and I couldnt afford to go by myself (we didnt have a car).

This time Im driving and Im not at the mercy of my cheap ass brother so I'm going. Now looking at their website there is allot of diffrent tours and stuff to go on. Which ones are the "Must Dos" timing wise im most likely not going to get a launch (cant really ask my mate to change her wedding day based on nasa's schedule can I).
I always find the best bet with places you've never seen is to ask someone whos been before. So whos done the whole tour and what the best bits?

Soldato
I went a few years ago as my dad wanted to go and it was alright, nothing to shout about (although I was ~13 at the time). Lots of info there about the appollo rocket that blew up, bits of other shuttles inside etc.

Caporegime
Was 5 years ago last month I went and it was awesome, should've seen a launch but a tropical storm stopped it dead in its tracks. :(

We did the NASA up close tour and it was epic, also had a look around Air Force Space and Missile Museum, which was crazy to see the size of some of the craft.

Will be taking my kids when they are old enough to appreciate it.

Soldato
I went in 1996 so it's probably changed since then but it's a bit of a trek to get to from Orlando and the tours are ok. We went around outisde in a bus type thing and they showed some sights which they had set out around the area.

Associate
I was there last month. It was a couple of days after one of the cancelled launches so the Shuttle was sitting on the Launch Pad.

Overall I was really disappointed by the Space Centre. The tour was ok, they take you to a viewing platform a couple of miles from the Launch Pad but you can't really see much. You can also go to a bit where they do a mock countdown of the Apollo missions and then you get to see some of the old rockets which are quite impressive. Finally they take you to a building where you can walk through recreated bits of the International Space Station.

There are a couple of 3D shows in their cinema but half the people I was with fell asleep during this. There is also a shuttle simulator ride which is supposed to be almost exactly like taking off in a shuttle. However this was rubbish and nowhere near as good as the Space Ride at Epcot starring Gary Sinise.

Glad I went as I got to see the Shuttle but I won't be going back.

Soldato
My Dad watches the shuttle and rocket launches from his back garden, not a lot of relevance to this thread, but there you go.

He did however go to the space center when he first moved over there and he told me it was great, so its worth going to see.

Soldato
Just took a couple of screen grabs (awful quality, were originally taken on a camcorder..on a bus... lol)

Some big building
2s5z9m8.jpg

Launch pad
303k0hy.jpg

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Ive been but it was a while ago now :)

Its on my list of things to do is go and watch a shuttle launch.

Permabanned
I went in 2000.

If I'm alive in the year 4000 then I won't have been back.

Don't waste your time OP, there are so many much better things to do in that part of the world, honestly.

It was like a bus ride around and industrial estate.

Soldato
I was there last September.

It was ok, really not my kind of thing though so maybe not the best person to ask. Some interesting things to see and a lot of information to learn. The tours were a bit slow paced for my liking which is probably why I didn't enjoy it that much.

Don't get your hopes up for the Space Simulator though, it is rubbish!!! Much worse than the one in one of the Disney Theme Parks (can't remember which)

Soldato
I went last September and really enjoyed it. Found it fascinating and they get retired astronauts to give talk. Al Worden (Apollo 15) did ours and was really good - I didn't ask him about the stamp incident though :p

My wife on the other hand wasn't so keen and if we visit Florida again I'd definitely go back but will have a tough job getting her to acccompany me!

Back
Top Bottom