• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Whos feels like they've had thier 8800gtx for like an eternity................

Soldato
lowrider007 said:
I have, I honestly don't think I've ever owned a graphics card as long as this before, even though it seems to handle most games allright I'm still starting to get bored of it, I really want to sink my teeth into to something new, the graphics card market seems to have seriously stagnated atm, whens the next big gpu gonna be on the block ?

2900 :D :p

[TW]Fox said:
Stop buying CPU's and stuff. As you have discovered from the fact none of the stuff you buy is any quicker other than in synthetic benchmarks, it's completely pointless.

Buy funky screens or something instead. I mean, seriously, when a 50 quid E4300 will do 3.2Ghz and there is no real perceptable performance difference with a C2D, as you admit, between 3.2 and whatever you get out of a £300 CPU, why spend the cash?

Your words are wasted here :D

Associate
My GTS640OC2 eats everything at 1680*1050, I can only imagine the GTX absolutely destroying it. It's a good thing, it makes a change to not have to upgrade every few months or so. I hope future cards are like this - this really is the 9700 of this generation.

Caporegime
You can't blame the likes of the 8800's etc... for not running poorly coded games like R6 Vegas, Dirt, Stalker, Lost Planet (which is a ****** Ubiport) etc.... well.

We may as well all start blaming the 9800 GTX, and ATi's R700 now for not running these games very well either even though they aint out, as the cards can do absolutely zip to poorly coded games, they will always run crap on whatever card, even cards in 10 years time will struggle to run Vegas at a crappy 40fps at a push . :p

Last edited:
Associate
Well, i bought my GTX in January for £360 and it's went down £8. Even though i've had my GTX for what seems a long time, the prices are stable and i'm not going to complain about that. Hopefully the say around the same, so i can fleebay it to some naive person for a handsome sum of money, just before G90 comes out :p

Soldato
lowrider007 said:
this is what I don't get and I don't mean to be rude or turn this into an FPS debate, but I hear quite allot "it still eats everything" or words to that effect, I really have to disagree, theres no way that the latested games run on the GTX @ 1920x1200 maxed at a comfortable frame rate, Dirt and Lost Planet for example are hardly playable @ that res, now I'm not saying I demand a billion fps rate or anything but the games I listed a few posts up are definitely in need of a performance boost.

i should probably justify my statement, I've been playing farcry, quake4 and cod2 maxed out but they are 2 or 3 year old games!

Then again I tried ARM:A with a 7950GX2, it looked awful and it played awful, just badly coded I guess.

The simple fact is love it or hate it the 8800GTX/Ultra is the fastest card out so unless you want a disproportionately small gain by doubling the amount of cards you'll just have to live with it :D

We all love a bit of an upgrade but only when there's an "up" to "grade"!

Soldato
Fx-Overlord said:
Well, i bought my GTX in January for £360 and it's went down £8. Even though i've had my GTX for what seems a long time, the prices are stable and i'm not going to complain about that. Hopefully the say around the same, so i can fleebay it to some naive person for a handsome sum of money, just before G90 comes out :p

I agree the GTX has held its price extremely well.

Caporegime
Tom|Nbk said:
I agree the GTX has held its price extremely well.

Only because its got no competition, if ATi had released a competitor to it i doubt it would still be highly priced, but seen as theres no alternative to it, the price just aint gona budge, if you want the fastest cards, Nvidia is your only option, so they'll make damn sure you pay for them. :p

We've just got to hope ATi can start competing at the highest level again, or were ******. :D

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm Ive had my 6800gt for 3 years.....

But Ive got a GTS8800 sitting right here just waiting for a CPU to cuddle up to ;)

Soldato
lowrider007 said:
this is what I don't get and I don't mean to be rude or turn this into an FPS debate, but I hear quite allot "it still eats everything" or words to that effect, I really have to disagree, theres no way that the latested games run on the GTX @ 1920x1200 maxed at a comfortable frame rate, Dirt and Lost Planet for example are hardly playable @ that res, now I'm not saying I demand a billion fps rate or anything but the games I listed a few posts up are definitely in need of a performance boost.
This reminds me of when people in the monitors forum ask "I'm getting a new 22 inch screen will my X1800 XT (or something similar) be enough for 1680*1050" and up pipes everyone with the reply "Yes of course it will" and "My X1800 runs everything smooth in that res", and I have to wonder what planet these people are from, because I don't call 15 fps in Oblivion 'smooth', and there's several more demanding games than Oblivion around now.

Back
Top Bottom