Whos getting BOTTAS' seat next year ?

Caporegime
Well hopefully he can keep Max honest once Lewis retires.
The next 3-6 years could be some great years in F1 with Norris, Sainz, Leclerc, Russell and Verstappen all relatively young and all in good seats with hopefully good cars. I don’t think there’s been such a large number of young, fast drivers for years and years.

Soldato
It will be interesting to see how free Russell is to fight Hamilton.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's a bit of a "play the #2 for now, don't rock the boat and you'll be our contractual #1 when Lewis leaves" type arrangement.

Associate
The next 3-6 years could be some great years in F1 with Norris, Sainz, Leclerc, Russell and Verstappen all relatively young and all in good seats with hopefully good cars. I don’t think there’s been such a large number of young, fast drivers for years and years.

You forgot Mick and Marzipan :D

Caporegime

Indeed, it's an exiting time. To that I'd add Gasly, and Piastri and Hauger in the junior ranks.

Soldato
my dad said something interesting today
actually i thought of it like last year, but slipped my mind

George is a long term replacement for Lewis

so LH is No.1 Driver
GR is No.2
Lewis retires

GR is now No.1

Pretty sure that's what I've been saying for a while :p

But yes, it may even be that Russell isn't the ideal choice for next year (or even 2023) depending on his performance and/or the relationship between the two drivers, but long term it's a no-brainer...

Associate

I love this photo. I followed Lewis before he got to F1 and always thought he was an incredible talent (watch his Turkey GP2 comeback drive any doubters) and followed George from F3 and saw him as the future from then. Gonna be great to have my two favourite drivers in same team. Jedi Master and his padawan :)

fez

fez

Caporegime
Pretty sure that's what I've been saying for a while :p

Isn't that what everyone has been saying for a while. Its been pretty clear. The only reason Bottas has had that seat as long as he has is because Mercedes have been so so so much better than the next best car that they could stick a amoeba in the second seat and still bring home the constructors championship title. Suddenly there is competition, Lewis will retire in the next few years and Mercedes need 2 good drivers not one.

But yes, it may even be that Russell isn't the ideal choice for next year (or even 2023) depending on his performance and/or the relationship between the two drivers, but long term it's a no-brainer...

I think its going to cause a lot of issues for team harmony unless Russell underperforms massively.

Caporegime
If Lewis wins this season he might actually decide to call it quits, if he doesn't then he will likely stay, but if the new car isn't great he may even want to leave after just the one year. I'd love a Norris/Russell team up!

Soldato
Anyone else think GR at Merc could end up like an Albon situation - promoted too early, underperformed against all the pressure from the top, then dumped without being able to learn/develop/grow like most drivers?

Arguably Merc aren't RB and GR has shown a lot of skill but it does feel GR could become stunted by this.

Permabanned
I’m afraid... never been a big fan of LH
GR... A bit over rated.
Look forward to the young guns, especially LN v GR.
( New spec cars might upset the applecart.... Haas not included I’m afraid though).

Man of Honour
An exciting combination. In a year when drivers could make all the difference and at a time when Hamilton can’t be far off from retirement. Considering GR’s form last time in the merc, it bodes well.

Anyone else think GR at Merc could end up like an Albon situation - promoted too early, underperformed against all the pressure from the top, then dumped without being able to learn/develop/grow like most drivers?

Arguably Merc aren't RB and GR has shown a lot of skill but it does feel GR could become stunted by this.

The difference being that Albon was incredibly poor. Hamilton managed just fine as a rookie in a top team - if you’ve got the skill then your driving will speak for itself. GR has shown glimpses of it for sure.

Back
Top Bottom