Who's had a hair transplant?

Associate
It could be quite amusing as a novelty thing... that does look pretty impressive to be fair. Maybe good for a holiday or something... again though rather a lot of faff if you have to get it re-fitted every 2 weeks.

You do it yourself, and it definitely lasts longer than two weeks. When needed you just take it off, wash your scalp/shave it if needed and glue it back on.

Caporegime
You do it yourself, and it definitely lasts longer than two weeks. When needed you just take it off, wash your scalp/shave it if needed and glue it back on.

Fair enough, that makes more sense (wasn't thinking). Thing is, if you've had a buzz cut (and are already partially bald on top) then everyone knows full well that you're wearing a wig.

Associate
Fair enough, that makes more sense (wasn't thinking). Thing is, if you've had a buzz cut (and are already partially bald on top) then everyone knows full well that you're wearing a wig.

Yeah 100%, and in that video the bloke is literally the perfect candidate. The hairpiece lasts 6-12 months from what I remember depending on where you get it.

I shave my head every 3 days and had something called Scalp Micropigmentation done. It's basically a type of medical tattoo for your head so it looks like you have a full head of hair you choose to shave. Would definitely recommend that compared to a hair transplant for anyone in this thread who suits the shaved head look, it makes a huge difference imo.

Associate
Yeah 100%, and in that video the bloke is literally the perfect candidate. The hairpiece lasts 6-12 months from what I remember depending on where you get it.

I shave my head every 3 days and had something called Scalp Micropigmentation done. It's basically a type of medical tattoo for your head so it looks like you have a full head of hair you choose to shave. Would definitely recommend that compared to a hair transplant for anyone in this thread who suits the shaved head look, it makes a huge difference imo.

Care to post a before and after picture?

Soldato
Are the costs as well as how crap the look often turns out to be also overblown?

It isn't hypochondria clouding judgement, i just think cosmetic surgeries like these are a poor and temporary solution for peoples insecurities.

Well, the drugs aren't really cosmetic surgery. They just halt further progression of hair loss. That is why you have to take them if you get a hair transplant, to keep things looking good and to prevent further loss behind the transplanted area.

Really depends on how bad the recession is before you do something about it. If you've just lost a bit at the temples a small transplant + finasteride and you're good to go.

Soldato
Well, the drugs aren't really cosmetic surgery.

A hair transplant is a cosmetic surgery, the drugs are aftercare. A hair transplant and hair growth drugs seem a bit silly solution because someone is worried about their hair thinning at the temples will give away their age...

Like i said, all seems like the wrong solution to fix something that shouldn't really be a problem. OP being pressured by the in-laws to get cosmetic surgery FFS.

Associate
Another baldie - I wonder how people who go for these restorations, whether it is a transplant, hair system, cope when dealing with friends/colleagues?

If I rocked up to work (say I took 6 months out) and returned with a head of hair?

The interrogation...;)

To be honest, if you do undergo one of the options, fair play and good luck to you. I do agree with previous advice; Never in a million years would I go for a budget transplant.

Personally for me, shaving is the solution. The paranoia that wearing a weave involves, I would be too conscious if people can spot you are wearing etc. Way too stressful.

I compensate (so to speak) by simply keeping the weight in check and taking care of my appearance.

k3v

k3v

Associate
I've been on finasteride for about 4 years now, I have a receding hair line the rest of my hair was thinning, my hair has thickened up and completely stopped receding. I had no real regrowth but what I have is a lot better. I'm well pleased with it. It costs me about £180 a year.

Associate
I've been on finasteride for about 4 years now, I have a receding hair line the rest of my hair was thinning, my hair has thickened up and completely stopped receding. I had no real regrowth but what I have is a lot better. I'm well pleased with it. It costs me about £180 a year.

Pleased its working K3v. By the time I was looking at options, it was too late.

In the end, I consulted a friend, a hair dresser, she clippered my hair in stages over a few weeks. Going from having 'hair' to zero can be a shock - in stages it's easier.

Just picking the right time when to shave rather the clutching to thinning hair is always the difficult one to judge!

k3v

k3v

Associate
Cheers, I thought about it for a long time, doing lots of research and worrying about the side effects, I realised that like you said if I don't do something it will be too late.

It is easier in stages, I would have done the same if I had the right shaped head.

Caporegime
Another baldie - I wonder how people who go for these restorations, whether it is a transplant, hair system, cope when dealing with friends/colleagues?

If I rocked up to work (say I took 6 months out) and returned with a head of hair?

The interrogation...;)

To be honest, if you do undergo one of the options, fair play and good luck to you. I do agree with previous advice; Never in a million years would I go for a budget transplant.

Personally for me, shaving is the solution. The paranoia that wearing a weave involves, I would be too conscious if people can spot you are wearing etc. Way too stressful.

I compensate (so to speak) by simply keeping the weight in check and taking care of my appearance.

What interrogation? Everyone I know who wants one openly talks about it and have done so for several years.

What is more obvious is when the blonde bimbo has to take 2 weeks off for a "back op" then comes back 2 stone lighter overall even though gained about half a stone in weight in the chest region.

I know a few folk that have had consultations then never went through with it due to cost and others who want to do it but again cost is an issue. I've told my mate who wants to go to turkey to forget that. Then he talks about finance and UK.

It's cost which is why a lot of people don't have it done. to have it done properly costs money and the cheap options are rubbish.

Caporegime
A hair transplant is a cosmetic surgery, the drugs are aftercare.

I think he's well aware that a hair transplant is, the drugs aren't though. Some people make use of the drug options as soon as they start thinning on top and that is sufficient in itself to deal with the situation.

I agree the OP should be pressured into doing this, I'd personally not bother with surgery and I thought the drug options weren't worth it either after speaking to a dermatologist... buzz cut in the end for me.

Associate
That actually looks very realistic.

I'd definitely recommened it over anything like a hair transplant. I shave my head every 3 days but it makes it looks like a choice, no one has a clue until I tell them. It sounds stupid but it made me feel better when trying clothes on in changing rooms when you have spot lights above you. It makes your head less shiny.

Caporegime
I'd definitely recommened it over anything like a hair transplant. I shave my head every 3 days but it makes it looks like a choice, no one has a clue until I tell them. It sounds stupid but it made me feel better when trying clothes on in changing rooms when you have spot lights above you. It makes your head less shiny.

I recon you should have just embraced the Bill Bailey look. :p

Back
Top Bottom