• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Whos thinking of sticking with what theyve got and bypassing the "next gen" cards??

Associate
I would have thought that anybody with more than 4870 1gb/GTX260 don't need to upgrade so best option is to wait.

personally, I've dumped crossfire so I'm going to upgrade now as not happy with Stalker:Clear Sky/Warhead and Arma2 performnce

Soldato
I will probably be upgrading to a DX11 class GPU, but not yet. I've got a pair of GTX275s, so I'm not lacking in performance at the moment. For me it's just a question as to when and if the DX11 tipping point occurs, and prices are more realistic. The HD5870 is too expensive for a single GPU solution at the moment, I'd need 2 to blow away my GTXs, so I'm definitely waiting to see what the GT300 or HD5890s will be like, but I might need to wait for them to be out for a while so I can pick up a pair at a sensible price.

Soldato
To be honest I think £300 on a graphics card is a bit too rich for my blood, the £100 price point is much more attractive and cards at that price still give excellent performance IMO. I've had this 9800GT for about a year (maybe less) and it's still going strong, I feel no need to upgrade ATM. Especially when an SSD or better spec processor is a much better option (though I don't game *that* much!).

Soldato
Aye stick with the old tech and lose about 100£ in electricity saving.
:)

Great so you have to own a 5850 for 2 years at least to get your money back, 3 if it's the 5870.

Besides as OcUK don't let you pay stuff off at 27p a day it's not really the same thing is it.

Besides, mummy and daddy pay for my electricty :D

Soldato
I was on a 3870 so and upgrade was needed... now my games fly :D Rather than reason well run :p

Also I now have a spare 3870 to use in another machine.

Associate
you also only save £100 if you leave your pc on 24hrs a day, i have mine on for 6 max, so it would take me 8 years to save that £100 lol not really worth it now is it :p

I will stick with this Hd4870, seems good enough to me.

Soldato
Well mines on for about 8-10 hours a day so I might actually save a fair bit of money :) + a Free game so that's -£30 if you want to do retail pricing.

And maybe a lot less frustration with low fps/modding games to run smoother = more relaxed = less energy used = less food consumed = more saving O.o

See I can justify any amount of spending :D

Associate
well i went and purchased 2x zotac 285amp's last month at a steal of a price as i couldnt wait any more/longer for either ati/nv to release there cards..

uptill last month i was on a sli evga KO 8800gt setup which was still going strong but the 285's are way faster and anyway i have read up on the ati card and its being shown as in crossfire within a hair whisker of a 295 o/c which my cards beat anyway so i think ill wait another year or so see how long these last.

oh and used the old 8800gt as physx so that might make it last a little bit more hopefully:D

regards,

HRhino"

Associate
im doing a new pc ready for windows 7 and am really in a quandry as what to do, pick up a 1gb 4870 for cheap money when everybody starts going to the 5 series or do i just buy a 5850 ready for windows 7,

question is will prices of the 5850 start to drop by the time W7 is released in 3 weeks time etc,

i havent gamed on a pc for quite some time (black and white 2) and my current spec is a skt 939 with a hd 3650 agp card lol but i do want to get back into playing some games again even though i have a xbox 360 lol

its just decisions decisions as to what card i go for, i know if i got the 5850 i wouldnt have to get a new card for prob a good 2 years etc

Matt

Soldato
Well if you have the money and you really do want to get back into gaming then I would suggest the 5850 (you will be lucky if the price drops within 3 weeks maybe by £10-15).

But if you are like my brother and "you want to get back into gaming" then 6 months later still not touched a game then go with a cheaper card :)

Also depends on what games you were planning on playing as the 4870 would last a while but defiantly not 2 years if you want to play the latest games on "Full settings"

Associate
When there are some games I really want to play I will happily upgrade whenever that may be :)

yeah I last upgraded for Crysis and every since I have been fine on all games.. only has a tiny 19" widescreen :)

Yep something like BF3 for me :p

I hear ya :D Currently playing BFH at the mo with my friends with tesco value PCs .. hopefully BFBC 2 will be good

Associate
im doing a new pc ready for windows 7 and am really in a quandry as what to do, pick up a 1gb 4870 for cheap money when everybody starts going to the 5 series or do i just buy a 5850 ready for windows 7,

question is will prices of the 5850 start to drop by the time W7 is released in 3 weeks time etc,

i havent gamed on a pc for quite some time (black and white 2) and my current spec is a skt 939 with a hd 3650 agp card lol but i do want to get back into playing some games again even though i have a xbox 360 lol

its just decisions decisions as to what card i go for, i know if i got the 5850 i wouldnt have to get a new card for prob a good 2 years etc

Matt

I'm in the same boat, I'm building a PC ready for win7 but am a little stumped on GFX card. Basically I don't see the rush in getting a 58xx series just yet, I'm happy to wait until nvidia catch up and make a choice then, but it does leave me with no GFX card. What I am thinking is getting a cheap 4850 1gb card for now and buying DX11 in the new year. Here's a question, can someone with access to the members market tell me what sort of mony 4850 1gb's are going for.... if there are any for sale.

Associate
You may need to link account with your account you use to purchase, that gets you free delievery and probably also access to MM.

I still believe the 5850 is 2 weeks away, other sellers do not have it as being available within the next 2 weeks. And i doubt it will come down any in price this soon.

Soldato
First generation of any new DX version card is risky buy if you have the money to spend then get the best which is presently a CF 5870 configuration if your monitor is 24" and over and you must play crysis.

Back
Top Bottom