• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Whos thinking of sticking with what theyve got and bypassing the "next gen" cards??

Associate
its a pity new members cant get into the members market without having 250 posts and being a member for 3 months + ive got another 240 posts to go lol but if i just post everywhere i will get banned so its a lose lose situ for me, i know on another forum starting with A and ends in V you dont have to have a minimum post count

major pity for these forums

Soldato
I quite fancy a second hand 280 and go SLI, would put me up with the fastest with little cost.

I'm keeping an eye on MM.

Not that I need the extra power yet, MW:2 should bring the need though.

Soldato
Upgrading whole system, seeing as I have a single core cpu 6800GT - I think it's worth it :D

Was going for the 4890 but the 5850 tempted me too much and I caved. w00t.

Last edited:
Associate
i will probably get shot down in flames, but i`m running LOTR online maxxed out with an i7 920, 6gb ram, SSD, 4890 and an HP 24'' l2475W and when you visit places like Rivendell they are genuinely draw dropping.

Probably as much to do with the actual artwork of the game as the power of the rig, which is of course so completely overpowered for grinding !!:D

One of these days, i keep promising myself, i will use it to it's full potential...but just.need.to.complete.one.more.quest.

However, after seeing the jump in electricity usage when i`ve got that leccy monitoring thing on, i tempted to go for the 5890. IF only i hadn't bought the wife a 9800GT--guess the handme down argument isn't going to work.

So other than the leccy bill, not convinced it's worth the upgrade just yet.:p

Associate
I quite fancy a second hand 280 and go SLI, would put me up with the fastest with little cost.

I'm keeping an eye on MM.

Not that I need the extra power yet, MW:2 should bring the need though.

PSU would be my only concern as I have a lot of hdds ect and only a 650w seasonic :eek:

Caporegime
I've got a 4890 that does 60FPS, which is the minimum for me. I'll update when games come out that it can't cope with, but not before.

With the consoles dragging back game innovation, that may be a while. All the PC games seem to be nowadays is hi-res versions of console games. This is okay, but I've just bought a 24" 1920x1200 monitor, so I'm not going to buy a 30" just to make buying a top card worthwhile.

WHat we normally get after a console release is 18-24 months of console led developement followed by 36-48months of mostly focusing newest and best things on PC with a fairly large disparity in quality in looks/physics/power etc etc.

The trouble is this generation, that DX10 was so neutered we didn't really get the normal speed, quality/iq increases in the last few years that would normally have stretched the PC side of things far futher ahead of consoles than would normally happen.

Its like anything, the best coders want to work on the best/newest things because its at the forefront of technology, the best coders/dev's want to make the best games using the newest methods. Unfortunately I think, the improvements we should have seen, more particles, better optimisation to be able to add more particles, higher IQ using tessalation and a bunch of other things, never really happened. So while you can make the same game run at a higher res and speed on a PC, theres not really much you can do on a PC game you can't do in a console game right now.

With DX11, hopefully we'll have that gap finally widened, aswell as simply the massive increase in raw horsepower, higher programability, higher IQ and better ability to push games forward, that dev's will finally be excited to develope for the PC over consoles and can probably do things consoles simply aren't capable of.

AS for missing a gen, I'd never miss a generation, its simply not worth it, ever.

I can sell my 4870x2, I dunno, for £150, maybe even £200, not sure how much they are selling for second hand, and pick up a new card for £200-300. If I wait for a 6870 in 12-18 months, well, my 4870x2 will be worth £50, it will basically end up costing me exactly the same to upgrade once ever 2-3 years, as upgrading yearly because of lost value on old cards. So for the same cost, you can have the fastest card around with every generation.

Associate
I am sticking with my 2, 280Gtx's as a single 5870 will not beat it and I do not want to shell out £600 for 2 of them for slightly better performance.

Directx11 is also a mute point as it takes a year or so for games to take advantage of it.

Triple monitor support is a big plus but alas not very compatible.

In 6 months time when the drivers are optimised and the prices fall this card will be in very hot demand, unless the NV300 squats it.

Associate
Im thinking this is the sensible thing for me to do....

But it will be hard to resist...

To be honest, anyone who gets a 5870 to replace a couple of GTX285s (assuming your sig is correct) has a screw loose. In fact, just thinking about it is bad enough. :p

Anyway, I'll probably upgrade early next year or something, as, currently, my 4890 is enough to get 60+fps in most of the games I play.

Associate
My system is well over due an upgrade but tbh, theres nothing i play that it cant handle.
loving the new idle power usage on the 5 series and the audio over hdmi on the ATI cards would be very usualfull, save me having to turn the amp on when i game on the plasma, so kinda tempted :s ill try and hold out for price drops :D

Man of Honour
Aye stick with the old tech and lose about 100£ in electricity saving.
:)
5870 is a great card! But its your choice.

To save £100 on electric, you'd have to cut your consumption by around 1000kWh

Lets say for the sake of argument you could lower your power consumption by 100W using a 5870. That would mean that you'd need to run your system for 10,000 hours to save £100. 10,000 hours is quite a long time, even if you ran your PC for 12 hours a day everyday it'd still take over 2 years to realise that saving, by which time no doubt a 5870 will be pretty long in the tooth.

Back
Top Bottom