• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who's waiting for the 3090 and which brand are you getting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
The frame differences are 5-6 FPS at 4k on the settings people claim they will be running at. The difference is imperceivable. I bet many people on here dont even have a Gsync Module in their monitor. So they cant even Gsync below 48FPS! Id love to see how they plan on running a 3090 at max 4K below 48 FPS. Even average of 60 FPS there are plenty of times in games where frames drop below 48FPS and will run like crap.

Why are you so hung up on FPS? Granted it is important, but there are also other factors! For example stuttering when buffering textures. In flight sims in VR they will easily eat more than 10gb of VRAM, so the experience in VR will not be hampered by the same amount as on the 3080. MSFS @4K uses around 8 to 9gb of VRAM. Top of the line VR headsets are higher than 4K. 3840 * 2160 = 8'294'400 pixel. 2160 * 2160 * 2 = 9'331'200 pixels (Reverb G2). That's a 9% increase in pixels, topped off with the fact that the GPU is having to render 2 scenes at the same time. Preloading textures into VRAM for VR is way more important for user experience than it would be for pancake vision because the stuttering induces nausea.

Associate
For me, the 3080 was not a large enough leap over my 2080 Ti Aurous Xtreme WB which runs at stock close to 2100 mhz, and gaming on a 4k 144hz monitor every fps counts. The 3090 made sense especially as it will be sitting next to an 8k TV which I can use for immersive games.
Theres a great video on YouTube showing the 3080 crapping out on 8k due to limited memory. Since I will be using 4k for high FPS and 8k for immersion, the 3080 would have been an absolutely atrocious decision.

Associate
For me, the 3080 was not a large enough leap over my 2080 Ti Aurous Xtreme WB which runs at stock close to 2100 mhz, and gaming on a 4k 144hz monitor every fps counts. The 3090 made sense especially as it will be sitting next to an 8k TV which I can use for immersive games.
Theres a great video on YouTube showing the 3080 crapping out on 8k due to limited memory. Since I will be using 4k for high FPS and 8k for immersion, the 3080 would have been an absolutely atrocious decision.

This is very true! 8K in Control requires 18.5gb of VRAM! The 3080 simply cannot do this and would be a stuttering mess.

TrM

TrM

Associate
Why are you so hung up on FPS? Granted it is important, but there are also other factors! For example stuttering when buffering textures. In flight sims in VR they will easily eat more than 10gb of VRAM, so the experience in VR will not be hampered by the same amount as on the 3080. MSFS @4K uses around 8 to 9gb of VRAM. Top of the line VR headsets are higher than 4K. 3840 * 2160 = 8'294'400 pixel. 2160 * 2160 * 2 = 9'331'200 pixels (Reverb G2). That's a 9% increase in pixels, topped off with the fact that the GPU is having to render 2 scenes at the same time. Preloading textures into VRAM for VR is way more important for user experience than it would be for pancake vision because the stuttering induces nausea.

msfs for instance the cpu single thread is more of a issue then the 10gb vram. We don’t know how much of the vram a game uses. The only reasonable assumption we can make is from the game allocation it’s requested. I’m not saying 10gb won’t be a problem I’m sure it will and will only get worse with direct access and all that stuff. Not because 10gb vram isn’t enough but without any reliable way of seeing how much a game uses we’re all in the dark

fx1

fx1

Associate
This is very true! 8K in Control requires 18.5gb of VRAM! The 3080 simply cannot do this and would be a stuttering mess.

8k is a stuttering mess full stop. Another marketing con pushed out by Nvidia. Maybe you should unsub LTT and watch GN instead.

You still dont understand the difference between VRAM Allocation and USAGE.

It doesnt matter how much VRAM you have if you dont have enough GPU power its irrelevant for games.

Do you realise its the same core in the 3080 and the 3090? You realise they have the same capability give or take 10%?

Your argument is akin to saying that your car is faster because it has a bigger fuel tank.

When GN makes his comments about the "bigger number = must be better?" marketing tricks hes talking about people like you... who clearly dont understand a thing other than bigger number = better...

Associate
8k is a stuttering mess full stop. Another marketing con pushed out by Nvidia. Maybe you should unsub LTT and watch GN instead.

You still dont understand the difference between VRAM Allocation and USAGE.

It doesnt matter how much VRAM you have if you dont have enough GPU power its irrelevant for games.

Do you realise its the same core in the 3080 and the 3090? You realise they have the same capability give or take 10%?

Your argument is akin to saying that your car is faster because it has a bigger fuel tank.

When GN makes his comments about the "bigger number = must be better?" marketing tricks hes talking about people like you... who clearly dont understand a thing other than bigger number = better...

No, my car is faster because it has an electric motor :D I know, they make no sense economically either - unless it is your company car, then it makes sense. To each their own, and to each their own purpose. The people who moan about others choices just like to moan I guess.

fx1

fx1

Associate
No, my car is faster because it has an electric motor :D I know, they make no sense economically either - unless it is your company car, then it makes sense. To each their own, and to each their own purpose. The people who moan about others choices just like to moan I guess.

If you are happy to be one of the "target market" then that is up to you.

Just know that the target market they are going after could also be described as "the fools whos money is easily parted"

Associate
then that is up to you.
Are you sure about this? Seems like you are spending a lot of your time saying otherwise?

the fools whos money is easily parted
My GPU hasn't cost me a penny personally, and my car is the cheapest I can get as a company car due to how BIK works - so again, like I said before, to each their own and for each their own purpose! What works for you doesn't work for other people!

Associate
If you are happy to be one of the "target market" then that is up to you.

Just know that the target market they are going after could also be described as "the fools whos money is easily parted"

You have a serious chip on your shoulder mate. Why are you even in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with you other than to troll. You joined in 2015 and almost 50% of your posts are trolling. Stick to the 3080 thread where most people will agree with what you have to say. Not here.

fx1

fx1

Associate
Are you sure about this? Seems like you are spending a lot of your time saying otherwise?

My GPU hasn't cost me a penny personally, and my car is the cheapest I can get as a company car due to how BIK works - so again, like I said before, to each their own and for each their own purpose! What works for you doesn't work for other people!

Thats now how it works. A GPU is just a GPU. it doesnt work for one person and not another.

fx1

fx1

Associate
You have a serious chip on your shoulder mate. Why are you even in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with you other than to troll. You joined in 2015 and almost 50% of your posts are trolling. Stick to the 3080 thread where most people will agree with what you have to say. Not here.

No.

Caporegime
Thats now how it works. A GPU is just a GPU. it doesnt work for one person and not another.

Look I have just bought an £8k omega watch. Why didnt I buy a cheaper watch for a £1000 which tells the time probably more accurately than the Omega does?

Why should I? You really do have a chip on yoru shoulder. This forum has a very high percentage of top 1-2% earners in the country. Why shouldnt they drop £1700 on a gpu if they wanted to?

I mean a guy on the forum spent £2800 on the two 2080tis in my sig and only kept them 3 months before selling them to me for £1500. Same with the 9980xe he bought for £1750 and sold to me less than a grand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom