• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why AMDs Zen2 at 4.5Ghz will win...

Associate
What makes no sense is a regular consumer can just order one from the States including shipping, taxes etc cheaper than a company who buy in bulk are selling these for. The MSRP on these actually isn't that bad, if that's what people were actually paying as it's a new chip so prices always start out on the higher side. I don't really get why people get so upset over it though, if you don't like the price, just don't buy it. At the same time, the people who buy them, who cares, if they are happy to pay £600 for it, good for them. It's not like these chips are released and all of a sudden people current rigs are no good and obsolete overnight.

I think there's a lack of patience in general these days, if what you have is good enough for now, just wait it out, or if you have to get something and refuse to pay the marked up prices, then AMD have you covered. As a gamer the performance falls behind Intel sure, but an AMD 2700x is literally less than half the price of an i9 9900k for what, 80% of the performance? I'd be fine with that personally :)

BTW this isn't aimed at you guys or me having a go, I'm just speaking in general terms as I see a lot of comments from people clearly p!$$ed off at the pricing.

Soldato
Back to who? OCUK? probably not. Intel sure, I've bought a 9900k elsewhere. I have no problem with Intel. Are you following what I am saying.

£400 for 9900k. Fine by me.
£600 OCUK price for tray stock 9900k. Rank abuse of loyal customers.

Its not just OCUK though is it? other well known UK Competitors are following suit, so by your reckoning all your hardware is going to be bought from the US going forward lol

Soldato
Its not just OCUK though is it? other well known UK Competitors are following suit, so by your reckoning all your hardware is going to be bought from the US going forward lol
If that's what it takes. Don't matter to me. So be it. Looks we have an even better trade deal coming with the US post brexit so you may well be buying from the US without even paying VAT. Now that will put a cat among the pigeons so to speak. Alas I am aware of how far derailed this conversation about Zen2 has gotten so will leave.

Soldato
What makes no sense is a regular consumer can just order one from the States including shipping, taxes etc cheaper than a company who buy in bulk are selling these for. The MSRP on these actually isn't that bad, if that's what people were actually paying as it's a new chip so prices always start out on the higher side. I don't really get why people get so upset over it though, if you don't like the price, just don't buy it. At the same time, the people who buy them, who cares, if they are happy to pay £600 for it, good for them. It's not like these chips are released and all of a sudden people current rigs are no good and obsolete overnight.

I think there's a lack of patience in general these days, if what you have is good enough for now, just wait it out, or if you have to get something and refuse to pay the marked up prices, then AMD have you covered. As a gamer the performance falls behind Intel sure, but an AMD 2700x is literally less than half the price of an i9 9900k for what, 80% of the performance? I'd be fine with that personally :)

BTW this isn't aimed at you guys or me having a go, I'm just speaking in general terms as I see a lot of comments from people clearly p!$$ed off at the pricing.

I agree with you 100%, and your point about AMD vs Intel Perf, if its say 80% at 1080p then its only like 10% at 1440p and 1% at 4K... add in Adaptive Sync screens and that little FPS number in the corner very quickly becomes irrelevant as long as the Adaptive Sync is doing its thing...

Too many people think they must have the latest and greatest and cite "Oh i wont change this for years" then next release they are looking at swapping again.

Associate
Exactly Si, I think the uproar here is understandable to a degree, mainly as we're all here because we're enthusiasts... some are clearly more die hard than others and will always want to have the latest and greatest. From their point of view I can totally see why they are fuming and they have every right to be, because lets face it, the £600+ price tag is solely aimed at them, as they are the loyal die hards who this is aimed at and are affected. The problem is, they will likely buy it regardless, so not doing themselves any favours!

Caporegime
Not wishing to derail the thread but... there is nothing wrong with the Intel pricing of 9900k. It's a reasonable MSRP of $488/$499 (£372) and it is selling for close to that at $529 (£400) in most of the world (Rainforest jacked up the price $30 from $500 to $529 because it is popular. That's fine and understandable business). I just picked one up for exactly that price just over £400.

It's the UK sellers that are taking the urine on pricing. Where the rainforest has jacked up the price £20. UK retailers have jacked it up £200!!! Hell, never thought I would say it but don't blame Intel for retailer greed.

The 9900K is not popular, its not even listed in the top 100 best sellers.

Soldato
Zen is actually running at 32 Bytes per Clock, this vs 16 Bytes per clock of Skylake.
SkyLake 4 Micro ops per clock vs 6 on Zen.
Decode: Skylake 1536 uOps vs Zen 2048 uOps
and so on.........

Can you quote your figures against current SKU?

If someone was going to buy today or shortly, they wouldn't be getting excited about an older line.

Back
Top Bottom