• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why are GPU's so cheap now?

Associate
OP
what about these question guys?

Will there be a shortage for 40 series?

Will we have to pre-order and wait months/years like last year?

GTC next week, apparently we only having 4090s for this year until 2023 for 4080s?

V F

V F

Soldato

GTC next week, apparently we only having 4090s for this year until 2023 for 4080s?

I have this feeling... Yes. Unlikely years but I imagine there will be lots of shortages within many months of waiting.

Man of Honour

Probably at first, they won't flood the market unless there is decent competition
Doubt it, we're not in a mining boom anymore
Makes sense to put out their high margin stuff first when they have an overstock.

Associate
Simple, it's all about supply and demand.

Not the same level of demand from miners as there was a year ago due to the drop in crypto prices / uncertainty, increase in electric tariffs and the new GPU series is just around the corner.

Mind you, even with inflation, spending £500+ for a GPU is not exactly "cheap" for most. I remember building a top of the range PC for around £900 a decade ago.

I reckon with the next crypto pump cycle, we'll be in the same boat once again. A £1k high end GPU will look like a bargain then.

Associate
OP
Probably at first, they won't flood the market unless there is decent competition
Doubt it, we're not in a mining boom anymore
Makes sense to put out their high margin stuff first when they have an overstock.
I see

22nd September Jensen will announce 40 series, with some performance info hopefully, i think the chip shortage or lack of product on release will create long ques, long waits, which will lead to scalping no doubt.

We dont need mining for that, look at the Steam deck, I pre-ordered 13 months ago, and only just got it last week.

You cant mine with the steam deck so why did they appear on auction sites for over one thousand pounds? even now the mid tier model which retails for £450 is selling openly for £650+

Thats after 1 year and ppl are happy to pay the extra 30% or 200ish to jump the que

I can only imagine this but worse on the 4090 release.

GOD SAVE THE KING

Soldato
I think it is likely to be true (that next gen are a huge bump), we've had years of stagnation and they could sell pretty much any old turd due to mining, so there needs to be a reason to make everyone upgrade this time.

I hope what you say is true, mining profitability is low and incoming electricity prices will degrade profits further. Unless you are playing 4k or greater at high hz you don't really need anything more than a 3080ti, 3090 or AMD equivalent. Those cards do 1440p high hz already.

Twice the performance of a 3090 - starting to be able to run 8k then. If it is true then they'll be charging for such performance gains. 4090 with 2x performance of a 3090 will be +£2k all day long.

Win win for us if true regards performance, just cant see it. I await to be pleasantly surprised (except for the price). Though just seen that the 4090 will have 75 billion transistors compared to 28.3 billion on a 3090 and 18,500 cores compared to 10,500 respectively. Maybe I'm to be pleasantly surprised after all. PAir that up with one of LG's 42 inch OLEDs and it's golden for full on high hz 4k gaming.

Soldato
The demand has dropped dead but the gpu makers will do their very best to drag out the extreme pricing with their duopoly of the market.

The higher they can keep the price of the old cards the higher they can launch the new cards. They want to see reviewers saying it's a BARGAIN that at the price point of a grand you're getting more performance than the last card that cost a grand.

Associate
Simple, it's all about supply and demand.

Not the same level of demand from miners as there was a year ago due to the drop in crypto prices / uncertainty, increase in electric tariffs and the new GPU series is just around the corner.

Mind you, even with inflation, spending £500+ for a GPU is not exactly "cheap" for most. I remember building a top of the range PC for around £900 a decade ago.

I reckon with the next crypto pump cycle, we'll be in the same boat once again. A £1k high end GPU will look like a bargain then.
You're absolutely right. They control the supply and demand what they want. At some point, reality will hit the GPU market and the prices *must* come down.

Associate
My first GPU upgrade a DX 8 GPU from NVIDIA in 2005, cost all of £110.00 (2nd tier GPU, like an RTX 3070). I don't think inflation has increased that much in 17 years. So why we get charged £2000.00 (over last year) for an RTX 3090Ti seems to be blatant greed.
Especially when you compare today's motherboard prices (including CPU prices) into this! You can buy a decent CPU and motherboard combo for say on average £300-400. Essentially all you get for your shiny new GPU, is the chip, the board (overpriced GDDR6X RAM) and a cooler for your hard-earned cash. And you still need the other bits to run that graphics card otherwise you have one of the most expensive paper weights in history.

Associate
My first GPU upgrade a DX 8 GPU from NVIDIA in 2005, cost all of £110.00 (2nd tier GPU, like an RTX 3070). I don't think inflation has increased that much in 17 years. So why we get charged £2000.00 (over last year) for an RTX 3090Ti seems to be blatant greed.
Especially when you compare today's motherboard prices (including CPU prices) into this! You can buy a decent CPU and motherboard combo for say on average £300-400. Essentially all you get for your shiny new GPU, is the chip, the board (overpriced GDDR6X RAM) and a cooler for your hard-earned cash. And you still need the other bits to run that graphics card otherwise you have one of the most expensive paper weights in history.
Also the R&D costs of designing the chip - I agree with a lot of what you say, and £2k for a consumer GPU is ridiculous, but you don't just pay for the physical item, you are also paying to allow a company to recoup R&D costs. And make a profit on top.

Soldato
I remember paying 280 quid for a GTX 280 1GB and felt ripped off. I think 2008. It only seems like the other day.
£375 for GTX 1070 seemed a lot when I got it ..... then 3070's were going for over a grand last year, bonkers.
So you can get a slightly faster 2060 12GB for 260 quid now, not bad?

Permabanned
I remember paying X amount many years back but forgot to understand the present issues and how the value of the pound changed along with other changes globally and costs of materials.

Back
Top Bottom