Why choose Steam!?

Associate
Anyone with something bad to say about Steam is talking bs. That said I'd be a lot richer without it :( damn sales. I've probably got about 170 games, all installed and completed ~10 lol :( 4 or 5 are MMO's though.

Soldato
A slice of my purchase history :

Untitled-3.jpg

If you're patient about when you pick stuff up, it'll save you hundreds on games.

Permabanned
Re- games being more stable out of steam.

I'm talking about MMOs like Rift and Eve - where Steam is just another option for them - it's always going to be better to leave Steam out of the loop because more code = more bugs. I gave up on Rift in Steam and downloaded the seperate installer.

Man of Honour
I think you're over complicating how games are packaged and distributed on Steam. :o

There's zero extra code involved to get a game published on Steam at the most basic level.

Not just that, but most MMOs just use Steam as an overlay anyway because they have their own launcher. This is the only time I have ever heard that point as a negative argument about Steam. Sure, there are negative points (although I can't think of many), but the whole stability thing is a non-issue.

Associate
For me, a lot of games are requiring that I use Steam to download some of it anyway, so I might as well buy the game through Steam. Given that nowadays there's nowhere to buy an actual disc, I'd have to order online - might as well download it rather than wait for the postman.

Soldato
I don't like Steam tbh.

- expensive
- extra program I don't need
- if there's a non-steam install it's usually more stable

1) not more than retail shops really and cheaper in regular sales
2) one of the least intrusive DRM currently in use
3) with pretty much all games patched up, I don't think that's the case

Associate
I try to stick to steam as much as possible because it's a major pain in the arse having to install and maintain all the other clients. steam does nearly everything I need it to and generally better than the alternatives.

for most people I imagine its just a case of having started with steam and invested a lot they would rather just stick with it.

Associate
Apart from using the aforementioned websites (mysteam and G2Play) when would be the best times to pick up a few new games? (Apart from the Steam Christmas sales :)) really need to expand my game collection as it's looking a bit weak at the moment :(

Also, are there any other reputable sites to buy steam keys from? :)

Associate
I wouldnt use anything else Steam is brilliant build in friend chat fast downloads, and yeh
its slightly more expensive but look at it this way.

You go out and buy the same game on disc you scratch that disk and thats it game done.
You buy it on steam and you download it as much as you like no matter how many times
you format and you are still at the same place in game as you was 3 months ago.

Soldato
I wouldnt use anything else Steam is brilliant build in friend chat fast downloads, and yeh
its slightly more expensive but look at it this way.

You go out and buy the same game on disc you scratch that disk and thats it game done.
You buy it on steam and you download it as much as you like no matter how many times
you format and you are still at the same place in game as you was 3 months ago.

You can still download an .iso and use the key.

Keep your keys in a document, email or in a folder so you don't lose them.

Services like GOG are DRM-free which means that the only thing you need is the installers.

Steam isn't any safer than Origin, Direct2Drive, Gamersgate, Impulse, or any other large digital download providers for that matter, except for the fact that it has the majority of the market at the moment.

That doesn't mean that some games won't be pulled or never appear on it, so you will be forced to buy them elsewhere, or that the platform will last forever, which is highly unlikely.

And you're wrong about downloading the game as many times as you want to, there are quite a few titles with DRM systems preventing that. Not to mention games that require third party tools, namely Ubi launcher, Games for Windows Live, Origin, etc.

Soldato
I'm actually looking forward to getting steam when I finally get my New PC. Although I'm worried about the impulse buying :D

Steam + Good Old games. I'm going to be in minimalist heaven :p I don't like clutter so ditching physical media is a good thing for me. Although I do have a 360, so will still have some.

Plus my Anime collection, but that's a display piece more than anything. Some are even still wrapped :o

Back
Top Bottom