Why choose Steam!?

Man of Honour
Apart from using the aforementioned websites (mysteam and G2Play) when would be the best times to pick up a few new games? (Apart from the Steam Christmas sales :)) really need to expand my game collection as it's looking a bit weak at the moment :(

Also, are there any other reputable sites to buy steam keys from? :)

eBay often has steam keys for sale. I haven't used any other sites. As for the sales, there are lots throughout the year and we are probably due for one. Just keep an eye on steam and these forums. There are good offers in between that come with the daily deal and often a weekend deal.

AMG

AMG

Soldato
Steams advantages are
1. trustworthy/safe well as safe as it ever will be online ( you know what I mean)
2.wide range of games
3.mental sales
4. download straight to your PC
5.decent client
6.Security
7. mobile app ( so you can talk to your freinds when you are out

bad.
1.support, but that can be partly your fault for being silly
2.when the sales are on download speeds are quite poor.
3. Security auth, its a needed feature but its annoying if you run multi comps or if you reinstall or anything

Associate
I like steam best of the DRM platforms, but if a game is on that and GOG, I will probably favour the GOG version.
But of course steam has a much wider range of titles & some great prices in the sales. So those two mostly cover it. And if its a multi player title, I will favour Steam for the freinds list.
Also, when you buy a steamworks game (uses steam as part of its code) on another platform, then you activate it on steam and it effecitvely becomes a steam game.
I got Shogun 2 off gamersgate but it's now a steam game for example.

Soldato
Only advantage I think Steam has is maturity and market presence.

Direct2Drive used to be great, but since becoming Gamefly and the move to using a client I only have 2 games listed for download and no mention of if/when the others will appear. Luckily I still have the installers on an external hard drive so not immediately worried, providing enclosure doesn't break.

Impulse sold to GamesSop. As I had a duplicate of Sins of a Solar Empire on Impulse I was assured I could transfer second to another account when found someone to pass it on to. Would be interesting to know if GameStop will do that if I find someone to sell second copy to (was a compilation pack).

Don
Steam is far from perfect, it's slow at loading, seems very clunky to use and sometimes you get 'game x is unavailable at this time' for seemingly no reason.

Despite this, I think Steam is awesome and since I have so many games on there, I refuse to use any other gaming service, even if it means I miss out. IE Crysis 2

Soldato
steams ok. Its nice to be able to talk to your friends easily in game. If a game was cheapest on steam id get it there, if its not then i wont.

You get some epic deals sometimes. I got the valve complete pack last year and it didn't cost much more than portal 2 on its own.

Caporegime
Despite this, I think Steam is awesome and since I have so many games on there, I refuse to use any other gaming service, even if it means I miss out. IE Crysis 2

Don't worry about Crysis 2. I've just tried to buy it from Impulse and you can't. In fact it's not even the distributors fault.

Apparently (from Google), EA have decided that Crysis 2 can ONLY be sold via digital distribution in the US.

All other regions have to buy boxed copies (or direct from Origin?)

How pointless. But EA always did suck asphalt.

Back
Top Bottom