Why do Ducati's sound so random at tickover?

Soldato
Just curious...

Why is it nearly every single Ducati video on youtube has a bike that sounds like something has gone amazingly wrong with the engine? The video of Agnes Ducati ride to work in the show us your bikes thread is a prime example of it. Sounds amazing when on the move, but on tickover, like the engine is falling apart/shaking a box of spanners....?

Soldato
Dont know the ins and out, but what you are referring to is the dry clutch.

Exactly right. A dry clutch has lots of advantages over a wet clutch. But the noise it makes is a bit of a turn off for some peeps. Personally, i love the sound of my 1098s. The guys i ride with call it "The Italian Tractor", wack it open though and it sounds anything but a tractor :D

Soldato
OP
Do you mind if I ask what the differences between the two systems are please?

I'm really tempted to get myself a bike, and I love the ducati's !

Soldato
OP
One is wet, the other isn't :confused:

Joking aside, a wet clutch has oil around the plates, a dry clutch doesn't, just the bare plates

I probably could have guessed that bit ;)

What real world difference does that make though? EG Shorter clutch life/quicker shifts/no need for clutch on upshifts/etc etc

Soldato
Real world differences are that a dry clutch dosn't contaminate the engine oil, which means longer oil life. Also because the clutch isn't sitting in oil, the engine as a whole runs cooler and the clutch itself dosn't tend to sap as much power from the engine.
On my 1098s, upshifts can be clutchless if i choose. And yes, a dry clutch wears quicker than a wet one.......but they are very easy to replace.

Soldato
Real world differences are that a dry clutch dosn't contaminate the engine oil, which means longer oil life. Also because the clutch isn't sitting in oil, the engine as a whole runs cooler and the clutch itself dosn't tend to sap as much power from the engine.

Power loss from churning oil around I can accept, but not the engine running cooler. The clutch only generates heat when it's slipping, i.e. when you pull away.

Soldato
Ducati is probably the only manufacturer where I'd be perfectly happy owning *anything* in their current range.

Shame I (a) can't afford one, (b) can't afford the insurance and (c) live nowhere near a Ducati dealer :(

Soldato
A friends "Blade" runs 10c hotter than mine on a normal run, even though he is 100cc down on me. Maybe it's just down to other things, who knows.

Completely different engines, V-Twin vs IL4 for starters, and different engines are designed to run optimally at different temperatures (which is why thermostats don't all open at the same temperature on all engines.)

Also unless you are measuring temperature with something that is properly calibrated and with the sensor at exactly the same point on the engine then the values you get from the instruments are only comparable between the same bikes.

Soldato
I love the look of Ducatis but can't stand the sound of them, they sound broken and as if they're about to stall all the time. I must just be weird as I much prefer the sound of a high revving IL4.

Saw the new Panigale on track the other week was wasn't impressed at all, even that one sounded horrible.

Give me a 1098 with the engine from a ZX10R and I'd be happy.

Back
Top Bottom