1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do people feel the need to wear clothing with huge logos on them?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Squidward, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Efour

Caporegime

Complete BS. Its just another gimmick to rinse you of your money.
    Save me the boring stuff about hand crafted by Swiss expert artisans from over 50000000 pieces. Its just another illusion of wealth. Which is fine..... Id rather have a Work of art myself.

2. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

No, the guy who purchased an Absolute Navetta bought a yacht. The truly rich buy a Super-yacht... Seriously, if Steven Spielberg and JK Rowling struggle to afford it, then you're on the right track but still nowhere near the same ballpark!!

Exactly - If you're truly rich, your superyachts won't fit in the marina and you have to anchor offshore!!
    RA has had a good six by now, hasn't he? Poor Akhmedov seems like he can't even hold onto one... :(

3. mmj_uk

Capodecina

I'd say wearing big logos is an expression of status (money) in most cases, it used to be sun tans but nowadays every man and his dog can afford to go abroad. The latest trend in trying to stand out seems to be tattoos but it's reaching a point where people with tattoos is so common it's not really cool any more.

4. laserom

Associate

Yes, I'm more surprised when someone hasn't got a tattoo....

5. b00merang69

Perma Banned

Very few people suit tattoos esp woman, they were originally tribal (right of passage etc) and sailors originally probably got them after visiting these tribal places but now they look so cheap and tacky IMO.

6. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

Amen.

7. easyrider

Caporegime

I wore logos when I was like 14....Adidas Colorado was the in thing...then I got into Nike and Kappa and all that...

Then I grew up :p

I don’t wear anything with a logo...The only thing is my Adidas Trainers...I can never give them up.

8. NVP

Soldato

I'm not for sale I'm afraid.
    My man, ain't nothing hotter than a fine body with decent ink... mmmm...

9. Wizzfizz

Capodecina

Indeed.

10. easyrider

Caporegime

Superdry was a brand created in Cheltenham carpark in a mobile office.

People think it originates from Japan :p

11. Orionaut

Soldato

I think the origin of sailor tattoos is rather more down to earth than that, and a little grim too.

I was a way of at least having a chance to identify somebody after they had been floating dead in the sea for a week or so. :/

(The other custom of wearing a single gold earing was to attempt to ensure that any bodies washed up would have the funds on them to pay for a decent funeral)

12. Malevolence

Capodecina

Superdry have just opened a store in the local shopping centre here and I actually heard a lad tell his girlfriend that it was a Japanese brand whilst in there looking at coats.

13. mattyfez

Sgarrista

I think big or prominent logos looks tacky and like your trying too hard, and don't put much thought into how you dress.

North face is a good example, everyone's wearing it, but speak to mountain bikers and ramblers and such and the opinion is basically it used to be fairly respectable out door clothing but they dropped the quality for highstreet appeal, and it's now more a badge/fashion item than proper rugged out door kit.

14. Wizzfizz

Capodecina

This happened with Berghaus back in the 90's. It went from a respectable outdoor clothing brand to a sell out on the high street for all the local chavs. North face has gone down that same path it seems.

15. NVP

Soldato

And Helly Hansen.

16. shroomz

Wise Guy

And karrimor. I'll sometimes see someone on the hill with an old karrimor bag that's still looking great. Nowadays the brand fills out sportsdirect.

17. wazza300

Caporegime

See a few canada goose jackets,not quite chav yet though

18. Jean-F

Wise Guy

That’s your opinion, which is your prerogative to both hold, and to express, but it’s not everyone’s.

Cool, really? Each to their own I guess, but they were never cool to me.
    I’ve been out of “the life” for years now, and happy with the crazy redhead who is my wife, but I would no more have been seen with a tattooed woman, than I’d have been seen buying or reading “The Sun.”
    I’m sure that inked women can hold just as intelligent and interesting a conversation as any woman, but in my opinion, tattoos are not a good look on women.

19. Mr^B

Mobster

The larger the logo, the less you pay for the product.

Fact.

20. mattyfez

Sgarrista

They are getting there though lol!
    I've no idea if they are good or bad but they have definitely become a status symbol and trendy as they are quite expensive.

Guessing they use goose down? No good if it gets wet.