Why do UK cars all come supplied with 'Summer tyres'?

Man of Honour
They come supplied on the sort of tyre that is the most appropriate tyre for British conditions 95% of the time.

Whilst tyre companies love the whole 7c thing IMHO it simply isn't that simple and in anything but slush, snow and ice a decent high performance tyre with strong wet weather performance is in my view the most appropriate tyre.

Every October I swap the summer Michelin Primacy 3's on the Mini to winter wheels/tyres and swap back in the spring. My 530d remains on Eagle F1 Assymetric 3 all year round. We've done this for about 5 years now.

My experience has been that unless there is snow on the ground we've noticed no discernible improvement running the winter tyres. When it snows the winter tyres are fantastic and we've enjoyed numerous trips into the high peaks, Yorkshire dales and Scottish borders in the snow and the ability of the winter tyres on snow continues to amaze me - but when the white stuff vanishes I see no compelling reason not to simply run with the best UHP tyre you can afford.

The only reason we still bother with the winter tyres on the Mini is because it's suitably cheap to do so, we've got the wheels anyway and it affords us the ability to go and seek out snow in the countryside for winter breaks.

I will not run an all-season tyre because IMHO they offer the worst of all worlds - medicore performance in the summer and medicore performance on snow.

Soldato
When I've been living in the UK I've never fitted winter tyres, nor considered it. It simply doesn't get cold enough - if it's snowing, or icy then I plan my journey accordingly. Even last winter in the snow I still managed to get around fine.

In answer to your question, it would be a logistical nightmare. But you may perhaps be right in questioning why dealers don't offer a choice when a customer buys a car - however that would mean holding quite a bit of stock too.

Associate
I will not run an all-season tyre because IMHO they offer the worst of all worlds - medicore performance in the summer and medicore performance on snow.
The recent Cross Climate all season tyres seem to be getting close to summer tyre performance, while also being good in the snow.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Is-there-a-true-all-season-tyre-We-find-out.htm

A real do it all for the majority of UK drivers, with arguably only those doing track days or pushing beyond 8/10th might "need" a true summer tyre?

Man of Honour
Soldato
I swap the tyres on my wifes car every winter. In truth they offer extra grip for about 1/4 mile at the start of her commute and about the same at the end where there are two sections of un-gritted road that are pretty lethal everytime there is a hard frost. I don't have anything beyond my own anecdotal evidence but I've found them to be much better whenever it is frosty, not just in snow. Now, would we bother to buy them again when she changes car... not sure but probably not. For now though for the sake of half an hour of my time twice a year there are no downsides for her as they type and style of her driving see's no change from having winter tyres fitted beyond a slight increase in road noise which she doesn't even notice!

Man of Honour
The world has gone mad. Tyre companies have really got so many people wrapped up in this crap. If it snows then a proper winter tyre is the tyre to be on at that time, no argument on that front. Put that to one side and for 99% of every other time a good quality 'normal' tyre will more than suffice for 99% of the British motoring public if they drive according to conditions. This whole summer/cross climate thing is tyre companies creating revenue opportunities. Wake the **** up people. You do not need 2 sets of tyres unless you can afford the luxury to do so and want a winter set for those REALLY bad snow days. For the VAST majority who can work around the 5 days a year it snows badly the tyres you have always bought are fine or cross climate if that's what you want, but you don't need a set of each. Pick your tyre and go with it.

Soldato
I've been driving for 25yrs and I've never once had anything other than summer tyres on my car (Ditchfinders on my first ever cars).
So far I've failed to have a snow related accident or kill someone else or myself.
Snow on the road, adjust driving style to suit - Winter tyres not required.

Man of Honour
The world has gone mad. Tyre companies have really got so many people wrapped up in this crap. If it snows then a proper winter tyre is the tyre to be on at that time, no argument on that front. Put that to one side and for 99% of every other time a good quality 'normal' tyre will more than suffice for 99% of the British motoring public if they drive according to conditions. This whole summer/cross climate thing is tyre companies creating revenue opportunities. Wake the **** up people. You do not need 2 sets of tyres unless you can afford the luxury to do so and want a winter set for those REALLY bad snow days. For the VAST majority who can work around the 5 days a year it snows badly the tyres you have always bought are fine or cross climate if that's what you want, but you don't need a set of each. Pick your tyre and go with it.

How do tyre manufacturers make extra revenue from doing this? Your tyres will last roughly twice as long as they are used for half a season for each set. If anything they'll last longer if you use the correct compound for the season.

Soldato
Ive bought some for my M3 as i've heard BMW's are pretty poor on ice. I had them on my 911 too (obviously not the same set). It just gives me a safety net, and FWIW i used a spare set of wheels so did the changeover myself.

Man of Honour
How do tyre manufacturers make extra revenue from doing this?

A more attractive and varied product range increases customers. Do you think everyone who buys a Cross climate would otherwise have only bought something else from the same manufacturer?

Man of Honour
How do tyre manufacturers make extra revenue from doing this? Your tyres will last roughly twice as long as they are used for half a season for each set. If anything they'll last longer if you use the correct compound for the season.
Because people go out and buy 2 sets when they used to buy 1.

Cross climate is marketing, in the olden days they were just tyres. They are built for a purpose, so will compromise in other areas.

Man of Honour
Because people go out and buy 2 sets when they used to buy 1.

That doesn't make sense.

People would traditionally buy say a new set of tyres every 2 years, but if you have a set for each season you use them half as much and therefore buy 2 new sets every 4 years.

Well that's not accurate. If you drive in Switzerland during winter either make sure that you have winter tyres or deep pockets because you will be stopped, checked and fined.

Edit: To clarify, Switzerland should be in the grey group.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Well that's not accurate. If you drive in Switzerland during winter either make sure that you have winter tyres or deep pockets because you will be stopped, checked and fined.

Edit: To clarify, Switzerland should be in the grey group.

I use Michelin Crossclimate.
With the previous car, I drove all year round with winter tyres.

Man of Honour
That doesn't make sense.

People would traditionally buy say a new set of tyres every 2 years, but if you have a set for each season you use them half as much and therefore buy 2 new sets every 4 years..

Let me help you.

If you influence 2% of the population to change tyres earlier than they might, because you make them believe these are safer/better prepared in winter, what do you think that means to an industry?

Soldato
The recent Cross Climate all season tyres seem to be getting close to summer tyre performance, while also being good in the snow.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Is-there-a-true-all-season-tyre-We-find-out.htm

A real do it all for the majority of UK drivers, with arguably only those doing track days or pushing beyond 8/10th might "need" a true summer tyre?

"Almost as good as a summer tyre" for most people maybe, but if you drive a performance car they are the worst of both worlds and pretty expensive.

I bought a whole second set of used OEM alloys AND a set of winter tyres for less than it would cost for one set of cross-climates. Having a second set of wheels is also handy in other ways. I have 4 full-size spares and I can get one set refurbed while using the other.

Back
Top Bottom