Why do you do it?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I do it for a couple reasons.

First one is kinda ego driven but I like the way I look when I am bulkier and fill out a large shirt. I dont do it to impress anyone but I just like the way I look and I think it gives me more confidence

Second, I hate to lose. I dont strive to be the best at everything simply because I am not that set on winning but I think if I am not striving to be the best that I can than why am I here? And since I am in the military and am trying to get into combat I lift the weights and push myself to prepare myself.

I also enjoy it. I dont usually workout REAL hard but tend to take my time, get my reps and sets in and enjoy the workout. Plus I love waking up in the morning sore from the previous days workout.

EDIT: I also think its out of fear of being a waste bag. I see a lot of people who arent fat but the only reason they arent is because they just dont gain wait. They are out of breath from 'running' are mile or they cant actually run a mile. Or there are those people who let themselves go and and disturbing to look at. I dont ever want to see myself in a situation where I am like that, bar of course medical problems etc

Last edited:
Soldato
A few reasons.

Everyone likes to look good, my ideal I am about 1/2 a stone away from now, but in reality that is probably a stone and some cutting.
I like the attention I get, and like to look good and feel good about myself.

I am a biker, and have racing ambitions, so I have to be fit, the other thing if buff bodies do better in crashes fact! Obviously this cahnges my goals as being a 16 stone plus monster might hinder the biking, but a lean 13 stone should be good!

Social, a lot of my mates go to the gym and I lkike the feeling a good workout gives you!

Finally, I dont ever want to struggle to walk up the stairs, or be discustong to look at. I think fat people are disgusting, and dont get how they can treat their bodies like that.

Soldato
Annother thing, it would be interesting to know how many people here possibly have underlying desire to be respected.

I know I was quite skinny as a teen, I was always popular and never bullied or anything, but The extra respect people give you is fantastic.

How many of you were skinny/fat as teens, and started because you wanted more respect from peers?

Soldato
I don't talk that much about bodybuilding to my friends. Maybe i'll see their reactions a bit more come summer on the beach. I think my girlfriends find's me more attractive that I do this ;)

Soldato
Oakesy2001uk said:
Annother thing, it would be interesting to know how many people here possibly have underlying desire to be respected.

I know I was quite skinny as a teen, I was always popular and never bullied or anything, but The extra respect people give you is fantastic.

How many of you were skinny/fat as teens, and started because you wanted more respect from peers?

People should respect you for who you are and not judge you on appearance. If you want to gain the respect of someone who judges you like that, then their respect is not worth a penny.

Dont respect someone who doesnt respect you back.

Soldato
panthro said:
People should respect you for who you are and not judge you on appearance. If you want to gain the respect of someone who judges you like that, then their respect is not worth a penny.

That may be, but the sort of people who give you respect do not need to be friends, I would expect my friends to see me for who I am and they do, but a bit of size seems to get you more respect among people who may not be close friends, or people you don't even know, with is good IMO, its a nice feeling.

Its not even close to being what I do it for, but it is a nice by-product, and I suspect a few other people may be doing it partly for that reason.

Soldato
I also do it for many reasons.

Health - because I'm not that fond of my bones thinning and my joints packing in! Also to minimise my muscle loss now I'm getting on and keep my metabolism ticking over.

Vanity - speaks for itself really.

Strength - recently taken up an activity that requires me to have good strength, especially in the upper body.

Plus I enjoy it!

Soldato
panthro said:

I get respect from friends because of my hobby of bodybuilding. They respect the hard work and dedication I put into it.

Soldato
I do it because women touch me in all kinds of places...

But seriously, I do it because I love doing it. Simple as that. I enjoy it so much. It's a challenge for myself, to be better than I was, to beat my set goals, and to surpass my own expectations.

I enjoy people looking at me and giving me compliments just as much as the next man, but the most satisfying thing is that 80% of my mates have taken up or are taking up weight lifting all because of me starting a craze within the group.

At first they were slightly skeptical with all the shakes, with different things in i.e. taurine, cee, leucine, oats, etc etc but now they are all beginning to understand. When I turn up I get asked, "Did you do your weights 2nite?" and I'll reply and they are geniunly interested.

I love lifting, and I always will. It's my own personal 'thing'.

Associate
panthro said:

In a morally ideal world maybe... ;) Maybe not respect... but looks are part of confidence which get you what you want... ;)

I'll respect myself what ever I look like... but other people are less likely to take you seriously... as much as it sucks it's true.

Back
Top Bottom