Why don't Microsoft add more resolutions for LCD monitors?

Soldato
NokkonWud said:
It outputs at 1280x720 on a HDTV.

Does the 360 do 1080p? Or is it only 1080i, which is the equivalent of 540p in terms of processing power as it's only showing alternate frames.

Associate
The 360 will output a 1080p signal, aye...

The games are rendered at a specific resolution during development, which the 360 upscales (or downscales for SD TV's) to whatever resolution signal the console is outputting.

Most games are rendered at 720p (some less)... and games are starting to appear that are rendered at 1080p, Virtua Tennis for example (I think).

I wouldn't have thought it would be hard to add other resolutions, especially ones that are the same aspect ratio as existing ones. Other ratios (16:10 for example) wouldn't be too hard to support. As mentioned, they'd just need to add borders if a game wasn't developed to support that aspect ratio.

Associate
Mephisto said:
What have Microsoft got to gain by potentially increasing sales in HDTV's? They don't manufacture HDTV's do they?

Unless they have some kind of deal with HDTV manufacturers I can't see how they would benefit from limiting the 360 to HDTV resolutions.

Whats good for the goose is good for the gander, what better way to push both sales of your console and sales of "new tech" LCD TV's than to make some sort of symbiosis between them.

Soldato
sanofi said:
, what better way to push both sales of your console and sales of "new tech" LCD TV's than to make some sort of symbiosis between them.

why would microsoft want to push sales of LCD screens ?

why would they alienate potential customers who want more resolutions just so that LCD screen sales are improved , what your saying makes no buisness sense at all

Last edited:
Associate
andy said:
why would microsoft want to push sales of LCD screens ?

why would they alienate potential customers who want more resolutions just so that LCD screen sales are improved , what your saying makes no buisness sense at all

If you go into MS booths and notice an abundance of Samsung LCD TV's imo thats no coincidence, thats all I'm saying.

And to answer your first question, what would they have to lose if they helped to push LCD TV sales, through pushing certain resolutions used by the console? By helping these manufacturers, MS will create stronger links with them for deals or associations done the road.

SDTV's are very much old tech and all the TV manufacturers would love all the SDTV owners to switch and buy their new ranges of LCD HDTV's, one way of doing this would be through supplimentary (not the best word but I'm struggling to think of it atm) products.

From what I have read on these forums, many users have bought a next gen console only to find that the resolution of their monitor or TV is not supported natively, what do they do? They either live with it, or they buy a brand spanking new LCD HDTV.

Soldato
Mephisto said:
Is there any reason?
Every 360 game would need a patch to support the new resolutions. Also the games all render at 720p anyway (apart from a very few undemanding games that can do 1080p), so you wouldn't really gain anything.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
fish99 said:
Every 360 game would need a patch to support the new resolutions. Also the games all render at 720p anyway (apart from a very few undemanding games that can do 1080p), so you wouldn't really gain anything.

Huh? Why?

And yes I would gain something. Because I can't display in my monitors native resolution the image isn't as crisp or clear.

Caporegime
Athanor said:
It supports 1900 x 1080 on mine via VGA..

he's not asking for that, i think he's asking for 1680x1050, which id like to see as well. Maybe in the next update, last one added lots of cool vga stuff so maybe this will finish it off.

Associate
dunno if its useful, but i noticed in the ati CCC theres an option which adds 720p and 1080i and such to the resolutions list for your screens. i'm sure theres something similar for nvidia cards, and besides theres a custom app or two on the net which should let you downscale the signal (recieved) by your monitor if its out of range, so you can get the most out of it even if your just on a 19" wide like me.

Soldato
GAMEfreak said:
dunno if its useful, but i noticed in the ati CCC theres an option which adds 720p and 1080i and such to the resolutions list for your screens. i'm sure theres something similar for nvidia cards, and besides theres a custom app or two on the net which should let you downscale the signal (recieved) by your monitor if its out of range, so you can get the most out of it even if your just on a 19" wide like me.

You do realise we're talking about screen resolutions on the Xbox 360 here? We're stuck with the choice of resolutions Microsoft give us.

Or am I missing your point?

Back
Top Bottom