Why is my 2500k running so hot with a H100i?

Soldato
Hi all,

Got a strange issue. Had NZXT CAM software installed (for the LED controller) which has highlighted a serious issue with my temperatures. It kept popping up about the temps going over 80c and prolonged use like this could cause issues. So I looked into it and sure enough, it is running very hot quite often.

A couple of years ago when I installed the H100i I remember not being overly impressed by the temps, but I don't remember it being anywhere near this bad.

I don't game at all really - just a general use PC. This is not an overclocked system (it was, but that seems to have been lost at some stage).

So running at the standard turbo mode 3.7GHz, literally just web browsing and these are the temps. I have installed Corsair Link software and put all the H100i fans and the front intake fans into performance mode (full RPM I believe) and even after 10 minutes these are the temps.

It is extremely high and I just don't understand.

Any thoughts? Might re-apply thermal paste tomorrow.

Everywhere there is an arrow in the pic, there is a fan, tried to show you the general amount of fans and airflow direction.

Thanks!

ga70dCX.png

Soldato
OP
Thanks all... Will give it a clean up, thermal reapply and put it all back together and see how it goes from there.

I've seen little pop ups regarding cpu temps for a little while now but have stupidly assumed they were temporary spikes and ignored them. And it was only yesterday I put the fans on full and still couldn't get temps down... So don't want to imagine what temp it might have actually been running at! :o :o

Soldato
OP
I like to keep it all pretty dust free so don't think it will be that.

I posted the pic with pump rpm... I'm not sure what "normal" rpm is though

Soldato
OP
Yeah what acme said.

I remember an issue ages back where it wouldn't even POST as I'd bent the mobo slightly by tightening the cooler (possibly my air one) too much... No permanent damage.

But makes me think I was maybe too wary when tightening this one and I've possibly left it loose?

Either way, if I can't get this resolved soon... Bearing in mind that I've been running it like this for weeks at least it seems, would I be stupid to continue using it? Lol

Money I didn't want to spend but of course I don't want anything more to get damaged either

Soldato
OP
It is very strange. I fired up the system just to check again before doing anything and with the fans much slower (all around 1100rpm) and just web browsing again I am only at 54c after about an hour, which is still quite warm.. but nowhere near yesterday's temps.

I do have quite a few notifications though in CAM software about exceeding 81c so it isn't a one-off thing... just doesn't make much sense

Soldato
OP
Bad mounting/contact would hardly solve itself, so that could hint toward problems in pump.
This is what I'm thinking as I'm still sitting steady-ish at 53c/54c with the fans at 1k RPM

Arghhh!

23 Apr
28 Apr
13 May
14 May
Yesterday

That seems to be the rough dates of the alerts from CAM so doesn't seem to be every day but I'm not on my PC every day either... most nights though... Hmmm

Soldato
OP
Could look at new paste I guess if it would help - not sure if this stuff has a shelf life?

Regarding task manager I can see Microsoft Office Click to Run SxS with joint highest CPU usage (alongside chrome). Nothing else untoward.

I've been debating a fresh re-install - might just do it!

Temp was checked in Corsair link and NZXT CAM to confirm it is high in both. Just odd how this time last night, doing the same stuff, it was impossible to get it under 79c, now with fans at half the speed I'm at 58c only.

Didn't get round to doing thermal paste today unfortunately

Soldato
OP
Did you disable power saving modes when overclocking?
Those being disabled would rise idle temperatures.
I did notice the other day that it was running at 3.7GHz constantly and not dropping down, tweaked the settings accordingly and will see how it goes.

Soldato
OP
Oops seems I missed some responses here - sorry!

So I reapplied thermal paste, cleaned the fans and rad (was all pretty clean anyway to be honest).

The situation is much the same, if not slightly worse if anything. EDIT: Fairly confident it is worse now as I'm touching 90 at times. This is so annoying :(

How can I check how much fluid is left @Quartz??

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
There are two main ways: weigh the unit and compare it with the purchase weight of 2.1kg, or put the radiator by your ear and give it a shake and listen for the fluid sloshing around.
Damn I should have given it a little shake when I had it all removed yesterday.

Is it a common issue? And is it game over if the fluid is gone as its a sealed unit?

Soldato
OP
Tempted to just replace it as something seems quite largely wrong from the figures.

Any thoughts on the current go to AIO cooler?

Soldato
OP
Just removed the whole system, gave it a shake and sure enough it sounds rather empty. Can hear a tiny bit of fluid but not much at all.

I guess that's my issue then! Should it not last longer than a few years?? Got it mid 2014 and don't really even game on my PC so shouldn't have had a hard life

Soldato
OP
Installed the tiny stock cooler (all I've got) and now sitting around 55-65c which I guess is reasonable for the stock cooler? Safe to assume nothing on the CPU itself has been damaged by the previous high temps, and I just need to replace the watercooler with something and should be good to go again? :)

Thanks guys

Soldato
OP
Hmm interesting

When you say cooked, you mean it didn't work at all? Mine is functioning but it's at 65c roughly on the stock cooler, not doing anything taxing. So just trying to work out if it has been damaged at all or is that 'normal' for the stock cooler

Soldato
OP
Yes. This was a Pentium D IIRC. I'd put the cooler back on the wrong way around so it didn't make contact! And I took too long in spotting it.
Ah OK, in that sense then, mine seems fine luckily.

Time to decide on refilling the H100i or just replacing then...

Soldato
OP
So I'm running (just web browsing) around 65c with the stock cooler. From googling this still seems about double what it should be on the stock cooler.

Is it possible / likely that my CPU has been damaged long term and is always going to run hot now?

Back
Top Bottom