Why is my 2500k running so hot with a H100i?

Soldato
Hi all,

Got a strange issue. Had NZXT CAM software installed (for the LED controller) which has highlighted a serious issue with my temperatures. It kept popping up about the temps going over 80c and prolonged use like this could cause issues. So I looked into it and sure enough, it is running very hot quite often.

A couple of years ago when I installed the H100i I remember not being overly impressed by the temps, but I don't remember it being anywhere near this bad.

I don't game at all really - just a general use PC. This is not an overclocked system (it was, but that seems to have been lost at some stage).

So running at the standard turbo mode 3.7GHz, literally just web browsing and these are the temps. I have installed Corsair Link software and put all the H100i fans and the front intake fans into performance mode (full RPM I believe) and even after 10 minutes these are the temps.

It is extremely high and I just don't understand.

Any thoughts? Might re-apply thermal paste tomorrow.

Everywhere there is an arrow in the pic, there is a fan, tried to show you the general amount of fans and airflow direction.

Thanks!

ga70dCX.png

Caporegime
The mounting mechanism on the HXX/Xi watercoolers is rubbish. Apply pressure to the waterblock to see if it drops the temps, if so some fettling will be required with the mounting.

If it was fine before but isn't fine now, have you tried cleaning the dust out of the rad?

AIO watercoolers do have a finite lifespan, my H100 is starting to fail now but its quite a bit older than your H100i.

Associate
I had an H100i, and had a similar issue on my daughters 2500k. I swapped it our for a mid range air cooler (Phanteks TC12DX), and the temps dropped 10+C.

I am still not sure if the AIO had a fault, or was just not that good, but I have stuck with air coolers since, which I think are at least as good. Sounds like you may have a similar issue I am afraid.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all... Will give it a clean up, thermal reapply and put it all back together and see how it goes from there.

I've seen little pop ups regarding cpu temps for a little while now but have stupidly assumed they were temporary spikes and ignored them. And it was only yesterday I put the fans on full and still couldn't get temps down... So don't want to imagine what temp it might have actually been running at! :o :o

Soldato
OP
I like to keep it all pretty dust free so don't think it will be that.

I posted the pic with pump rpm... I'm not sure what "normal" rpm is though

Soldato
I posted the pic with pump rpm... I'm not sure what "normal" rpm is though
If actual impeller is also rotating that speed should certainly be enough to circulate liquid.
Also any air bubbles would be likely to gather into radiator high up in loop instead of pump in lowermost part of loop. (or is pump in radiator?)

Did you try if tubes felt hot or even warm?
Those being cold would be sign of heat not being transferred away from CPU.

Soldato
OP
Yeah what acme said.

I remember an issue ages back where it wouldn't even POST as I'd bent the mobo slightly by tightening the cooler (possibly my air one) too much... No permanent damage.

But makes me think I was maybe too wary when tightening this one and I've possibly left it loose?

Either way, if I can't get this resolved soon... Bearing in mind that I've been running it like this for weeks at least it seems, would I be stupid to continue using it? Lol

Money I didn't want to spend but of course I don't want anything more to get damaged either

Associate
Using the radiator as an exhaust the GPU will be heating the CPU, but even so the temperatures you are getting are mad. With the system in that orientation there shouldn't be an air-lock. Even with stock fans at those speeds you should be getting good results. The water pipes on those things are a bit stiff so I wonder if the pressure of those is lifting the base unit off the CPU? Like the others have suggested, I would re-seat the head and try again with it. Hold the head/pump flat against the CPU with one hand while you tighten the nuts. I mean the water cooler should run pretty much silent under normal conditions and achieve very low temperatures. If not there is something terribly wrong.

Soldato
OP
It is very strange. I fired up the system just to check again before doing anything and with the fans much slower (all around 1100rpm) and just web browsing again I am only at 54c after about an hour, which is still quite warm.. but nowhere near yesterday's temps.

I do have quite a few notifications though in CAM software about exceeding 81c so it isn't a one-off thing... just doesn't make much sense

Soldato
It is very strange. I fired up the system just to check again before doing anything and with the fans much slower (all around 1100rpm) and just web browsing again I am only at 54c after about an hour, which is still quite warm.. but nowhere near yesterday's temps.

I do have quite a few notifications though in CAM software about exceeding 81c so it isn't a one-off thing... just doesn't make much sense
Bad mounting/contact would hardly solve itself, so that could hint toward problems in pump.

Tighten the hell out of it and report back. From experience they do need winding down quite hard...
"Keep tightening until you hear cracking noise, then quarter turn back" like it was joked about Titan Majesty coolers, eh?

Soldato
OP
Bad mounting/contact would hardly solve itself, so that could hint toward problems in pump.
This is what I'm thinking as I'm still sitting steady-ish at 53c/54c with the fans at 1k RPM

Arghhh!

23 Apr
28 Apr
13 May
14 May
Yesterday

That seems to be the rough dates of the alerts from CAM so doesn't seem to be every day but I'm not on my PC every day either... most nights though... Hmmm

Back
Top Bottom