why is north "up" ?

During the ice age as all the water was stored as snow/ice around the poles this meant the water level was a lot lower than it is today, so there was a land bridge between continental Europe and the UK. After the Ice Age there was a large amount of sediment that was deposited between the English channel which allowed this possibility as well, however as this was mainly clay and other fine sediments this eroded quickly. You see some of this ice age sediment along the east coast which is why East Anglia has a problem with coastal erosion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prehistoric_Britain

Read the section on the lower palaeolithic.

Almost right. There was a glacier covering what is now the North Sea, which allowed one to walk from the Continent to England quite easily. As the Northern Glaciers retreated, the ice behind the dam melted and the dam failed, creating the English Channel. Apparently, the failure was so sudden and massive that it created deep gouge marks in the sea bed in the Channel, which can still be seen today.

Why are we here?

Because OcUK is much more fun than actually working.

Why do women go to the loo in groups?

The same reason women do a lot of things, so they can gossip.

How am I able to function without a brain?

The random movement of paritcles on a quantum level mean that although it is highly improbable, this is actually possible.

Does the pope **** in the woods?

This is a guess, but I'm going to say yes he probably has, depending on how you define the pope. IE has the current pope at anypoint in his lifetime.

All questions like the OP's that just can't be answered.

I think you'll just find I proved you wrong. Any question can be answered, even if that answer is "shut up or I'll remove your kidneys with my fists."

PK!

Because OcUK is much more fun than actually working.

The same reason women do a lot of things, so they can gossip.

The random movement of paritcles on a quantum level mean that although it is highly improbable, this is actually possible.

This is a guess, but I'm going to say yes he probably has, depending on how you define the pope. IE has the current pope at anypoint in his lifetime.

I think you'll just find I proved you wrong. Any question can be answered, even if that answer is "shut up or I'll remove your kidneys with my fists."

PK!

Where is your proof I want a full report with references & appendicies!

I think it was an interesting idea, just not worded particularly well.

This would have been better: How did civilisations orient their maps before the universal idea of 'North' was decided and how and when was North decided.

To which norm and alex_tank gave some interesting replies.

Mind Blown

What would the map look like if you map East or West as North? I can turn my head yes, but it looks way cooler as an actual map. Sun rise and sun set go from top to bottom.

Back
Top Bottom