Why was the early 90's so successful for UK game production?

Associate
More time to develop games, less of a rush to get an unfinished product out, and less competition, maybe? Also, things hadn't been done as much as they are these days? The something new and exciting factor, which seems to be very few and far between these days.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think a big factor in why the UK specially might be because of the BBC Micro computer that was in most schools and backed up by tv programmes.

The first computer experience I had was when the computer was wheeled into the classroom.

I think either my first or second attempt at programming was done on the BBC Micro too.

Did any other country have a national programme like this?

Soldato
I still have much love for the BBC Micro after having it as my first computer when I was really young.
There was something magical in being able to make your name appear on the TV screen, back in the days long before phone video and casting were so ubiquitous.
Also, the vast universe of Elite gave me an understanding of how unlimited the possibilities were of computer games.
It definitely shaped the adult I became, even if I didn't ever make it into the realms of game design for a career.
I can totally see how it would have inspired others to pour themselves deeply into programming.

Back
Top Bottom