Why would anyone use Windows?

Caporegime
Found a couple of sweeties for those who GAF.

How MS themselves have extended the deadline to go back to XP from vista, pretty much meaning that they can by-pass vista altogether and then jump onto Windows 7 when MS finally do decide to forget about Windows ME2, Sorry, Vista.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/03/windows_xp_recovery/

And of course, unless you are a total tart with a search engine, just have a look at how much money MS have plunged into Linux lately!!!! - More specifically, Novell - Talk about sleeping with the enemy.

Silly question .. what's "GAF"? :o

Associate
Cambridge, or somewhere else in the world
Re: Mplayer,
Is it just me, or does mplayer *go wonky* when trying to play .iso's? It does with my kubuntu laptop and my mythbox.

As for vista, I am getting really to hate it. I'm running it coz I got a legit version cheap from a friend who worked for M$. Thinking of getting rid of the whole thing. It is so annoying, and slow. It uses so much horsepower to do anything. 4gig to run smoothly. Ridiculous. KDE 4 is pretty enough wihtout needing 4G of RAM and a top flight graphics card.
Grr.

Regards
Chris

Soldato
Its not you, it does that for me too.

I myself use Kaffeine though for DVD / Video and Im kind of moving to Amarok for Audio... I hated Amarok at first but Im kind ofbeing force fed it to the point where I have adopted the idea of "If you cant beat them, join them" which is really going against the grain IMO for Linux, but this is the way things seem to be going... Linux is getting more and more like what its tried to avoid being all this time.

Caporegime
I've not used KDE4 yet, it's still not "stable" for Gentoo. How does it er.. go?

edit: I just told an absolute fib, 4.1.2 is stable.

edit2: Or not.. it's had the hard mask removed, but it's still masked by package.mask.

Last edited:
Associate
As for vista, I am getting really to hate it. I'm running it coz I got a legit version cheap from a friend who worked for M$. Thinking of getting rid of the whole thing. It is so annoying, and slow. It uses so much horsepower to do anything. 4gig to run smoothly. Ridiculous. KDE 4 is pretty enough wihtout needing 4G of RAM and a top flight graphics card.
Grr.

4GB? I agree Vista is a bit intensive on the hardware but unless your gaming or using some other memory hungry app it doesn't need 4Gb to run smoothly or a top flight graphics card for areo.

I tried KDE 4 a few weeks ago but didn't like it much myself, still seemed quite buggy. So far I prefer 3.5.1.

Soldato
KDE4 has been a funny one for me too!

I have started to lean towards SuSE with v10, its slick, its quick, and very nice indeed, but then along comes SuSE 11 with KDE4 and I quickly move away again!!

I have been testing the v4 waters with Ubuntu recently and I like the idea, its just not ready yet.

Oh, and yes, Vista does not need 4GB. Sure, the more the merrier of course, but for the vast majority of users 2GB is more than enough and 1GB is still planty for most... Hell, I have even thrown vista onto a 512MB system and it ran fine for most things like basic internet and EMail stuff.

Associate
Cambridge, or somewhere else in the world
Re: Vista.
I was running ultimate on a q6600 and it just kept using the page file with 2G ram. 4G sorted it.

KDE 4 is nice in my opinion. YMMV. But I switched to KUBUNTU from a ubuntu install. My laptop is so old it couldn't have any eye candy, so with KDE it does. However, things seem to be hidden away compaired to Gnome. Bugs? not seen any yet. But I haven't the time to tinker massively atm - I'm just sufing the net and wordprocessing atm.

Soldato
Not gonna read through all the pages so just adding my opinion at the end...

I for one believe that Linux is useful if you are IT literate. The average person simply cant use it though because configuring and advanced options are a lot more difficult than in Windows. It's hard enough talking my parents through problems over the phone when they have a problem with XP, let alone Linux commands!

I'm just starting out on my Linux journey as apart from gaming I only use my PC for music, videos, internet etc so wouldnt mind learning how to use it for day to day use as being IT literate it would make learning how to configure it (not use it as Ubuntu is just a desktop interface) a lot easier.

Best thing I heard was the saying that everyone loves Microsoft that doesnt have to pay for it. Most of the people I know love MS over Linux but I wonder if they actually pay the high price for the software?

Soldato
Not gonna read through all the pages so just adding my opinion at the end...

I for one believe that Linux is useful if you are IT literate. The average person simply cant use it though because configuring and advanced options are a lot more difficult than in Windows. It's hard enough talking my parents through problems over the phone when they have a problem with XP, let alone Linux commands!

I'm just starting out on my Linux journey as apart from gaming I only use my PC for music, videos, internet etc so wouldnt mind learning how to use it for day to day use as being IT literate it would make learning how to configure it (not use it as Ubuntu is just a desktop interface) a lot easier.

Best thing I heard was the saying that everyone loves Microsoft that doesnt have to pay for it. Most of the people I know love MS over Linux but I wonder if they actually pay the high price for the software?

I install/support Linux for a group of IT illiterate OAP's. They get on fine 99.9% of the time, the 0.01% is usually app related.

Soldato
No, I must disagree with that last statement from totality

Its only confusing to some because the only dealing they have had with a computer is a PC with Windows.

If their first computer encounter was a PC with Linux then they would not be able to fathom Windows out either.

Its the same no matter what they go from or go to, if they know how to do somethign one way then they often dont like to change.

And also you said it yourself... Your parents on the phone, having problems with XP ?

If they had gone with Linux then they would not be having any problems in the first place would they?

Case closed...Next!

...NEXT!!!!!!

LOL

Soldato
And also you said it yourself... Your parents on the phone, having problems with XP ?

If they had gone with Linux then they would not be having any problems in the first place would they?

Right, that comment rules you out of me taking any notice of anything further you say as to say XP is the only OS in the world to have issues is a bit too fanboyish for me!

Since posting my above post, I thought I'd go and test out linux to see what its like these days (been a couple of years since I've used it so cant judge without doing!).

Got to say I'm pretty impressed! Downloading a few live CDs to see how the different versions look and so far just finished with Ubuntu 8.04 and off to try OpenSuse 11.0. Certainly a lot more user friendly than they used to be but tutorials online are sometimes over complicated by the looks of it. One tutorial will show you how to do it all through command line whereas another tutorial elsewhere will simply show you how to do it in a few clicks showing that there wasnt any need to use Terminal at all!

Pretty impressed how quick the live CDs are and it picked up my wireless card too without issues. Does anyone have any preferences to which distro is best for a "noob" looking to learn Linux from scratch? It's looking promising so far so would like to pick up a "popular" package for forum support, etc whilst learning.

Soldato
Right, that comment rules you out of me taking any notice of anything further you say as to say XP is the only OS in the world to have issues is a bit too fanboyish for me!

I never said anywhere, that XP is the only OS to NOT have issues.

I was merely having a chuckle.

What I said however is true.

you learn to use one OS and any other OS will feel alien and hard to grasp because you have learned to do thigns one way and not the other.
Whether its Windows, Linux, Mac, or any number of thousands of other O/Ses

( But then when you do look at all other O/Ses in the world, you wil actually find that most of them have very strong similaritiesand I think you iwll find that Windows is perhaps one of the few Oddballs in the list of O/Ses. )

--

Since posting my above post, I thought I'd go and test out linux to see what its like these days (been a couple of years since I've used it so cant judge without doing!).

Agreed its almost nothign like it was only a few years ago and its come on so much recently...Sometimes however, these "Improvements" have been nothing more than absolute cack TBH

Got to say I'm pretty impressed! Downloading a few live CDs to see how the different versions look and so far just finished with Ubuntu 8.04 and off to try OpenSuse 11.0. Certainly a lot more user friendly than they used to be but tutorials online are sometimes over complicated by the looks of it. One tutorial will show you how to do it all through command line whereas another tutorial elsewhere will simply show you how to do it in a few clicks showing that there wasnt any need to use Terminal at all!

Mandrake was the one for me... I used the drake tools every 5 minutes because it allowed me to play with the CLI and if I messed somethign up, then there would always be the safety net called drake(name of tool) to get the thing fixed... Great learning tools... Such a shame I never remembered bugger all

OpenSuSE is brilliant, but 11 uses KDE4... I dont really like KDE4 so Open SuSE 10.3 is possibly the best option Id go for.
Saying that any of the ubuntu family will give you what you want and more.

Pretty impressed how quick the live CDs are and it picked up my wireless card too without issues. Does anyone have any preferences to which distro is best for a "noob" looking to learn Linux from scratch? It's looking promising so far so would like to pick up a "popular" package for forum support, etc whilst learning.

Shocking how quick they are arent they?

Noob distro ?

To be honest, its getting to the point in Linux that its actually becoming hard to say which is a good noob distro, because they are all becoming so very powerful and so easy to use and configure!!!

If I had to chose, then I suppose perhaps you cant go wrong with ubuntu... My LapTop is currently running KUBUNTU 8.4 and again Kubuntu as opposed to ubuntu is based on the KDE Desktop where ubuntu os based on GNOME... ( There are others, so check them out )
SuSE again, its extremely powerful and quick nad very easy for beginners to grasp, as is Mandriva... I loved Mandrake but from v10 it lost it for me and Mandriva needed a few bad starts to gain my trust and now its among my collection again.

To be honest mate, you have ubuntu, Id stick with that you know... You really cannot go wrong, and get it setup to use the online supositories ( repositories ) and you have easyaccess to tons of apps that are 100% compatible with ubuntu and no silly installation issues ( Other than some basic sillyness for getting Amarok to play an MP3 )

Back
Top Bottom