Why?

Soldato
So.…
There was a crash, couple have died, some hurt.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...sion-on-the-m5/ar-BBNiAKc?ocid=spartanntp_edu

Look at the photo which shows the other side of the motorway, notice the traffic that has backed up for a long long way?
Now look at the gaps between the cars right after the view of the crash.

I have seen this time and time again, major traffic jams caused for NO reason.
The only reason is people are too bloody nosey! they slow down to gawp at something which then has a butterfly effect on the traffic behind, before you know it, the entire motorway is at a standstill, people peeing themselves, kids going hungry, commuters late for work. ALL BECAUSE YOU ALL WANT TO GAWP AT SOMETHING WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU.

Really, really, really boils my blood.

Soldato
It's been like ever since the dawn of time, people like to look at things like this as they drive past, there's even a word for it "Rubber Neckers"

Soldato
It's called curiosity and it's the reason why we are where we are. Have to agree is is bloody annoying but then again when I see ambulances/police cars/fire trucks, doesn't matter which side I do tend to slow down just as a precaution.

The gap you're pointing out is where people have had their fill and accelerate away. I was on the M4 yesterday, 2 or 3 car prang and same thing, lots of traffic up to the point of the accident after which the road was empty/clear.

Soldato
I suspect when the accident first happens it's visible on both sides so people automatically brake on both sides, or at least slow down. This then causes a domino effect. It's also human condition to have a look, everyone is drawn to it.

Soldato
I saw this the other day on the A1 just north of Doncaster. There was a vehicle fire on the other carriageway which was closed but it must have taken 45 minutes to get a mile or so to the scene of the accident from where I joined. Everyone was slowing down, some even quite abruptly after the ones in front accelerated past the scene. Just to be nosey. Does my head in and you have to concentrate not to run into the back of someone who's excited to see a fire engine and someone else's pain. Natural human curiosity maybe, but frustrating and pointless, your 5 seconds at 2mph past it cost me 45 mins!

Caporegime
That photo is well after it was reopened. Otherwise there would be no cars moving past.

Could you explain that logic please? Just after It's reopened there'd be no cars driving past?

You do get when something opens there's a period of time between no cars and full flow right? And this photo was clearly taken in that time period.

Man of Honour
That picture looks like it was taken just as the road reopened so the front lot are moving off while the rest wake up after being sat there for however long.

Man of Honour
I don't understand why people aren't or wouldn't be curious about the world around them.

Turning into a really bad spot there - dunno why doesn't seem to be anything special about it but countless accidents and some fatalities around the same spot over the last few years.

Soldato
That is just after they opened the northbound carriageway, both ways were closed. There were emergency vehicles in both directions blocking the road.

One of my colleagues was sat northbound for 6 hours!

Back
Top Bottom