Wi-Fi/Mesh woes. Want a solution for my ASUS Wi-Fi 6 router and BT whole home that’s slow.

If it was me, I would replace your BT nodes (the blue line means they are wired I hope) with Asus routers in AP mode. One in your office and one in your Loft room. I can't see how wide the house is so am guessing!

So - Current Asus router, 2 cables out (go via a Switch if needed) one to each other Asus in AP mode. Brutal but that is what works for me and the house looks a similar size. I would also run at least 2 SSIDs with one of them (maybe just from the Office AP) solely as 2.4ghz. I do this because many smart devices (Ring Cameras as an example) only work on 2.4ghz and setting them up can be a pain in my experience without a specific 2.4ghz network.

Not sure I'm helping here but hope it's of some value!
Thanks, yes blue lines are two wired bt pods, one in bedroom isn't.
Any particular Asus AP is should look at getting?
did look at these as they are similar to my router, and I can use parental controls, etc.
***Competitor link removed***

Last edited by a moderator:
Difficult to fully advise with only a single elevation of the house, but something like the below will likely be better:

Remove all the BT devices, place the ASUS access point on the first floor, in the centre of the house (ideally wall mount it on that central wall)
fvD1uMql.jpg

Either position the router as centrally as possible downstairs, or place it near the outside wall facing the garden (to improve outdoor signal).

1-2 access points will cover 99% of "normal" houses (i.e. not mansions and without any thick stone walls or anything else odd)
that's great, thanks for the illustration update :-)
is it best to put it midway up the wall for the AP? I did have a second ASUS router on the opposite side, above the stairs in the office ,near the ceiling as we have cabinets in there, But the signal was only decent through one wall. then it was worse than the BT pods.

Thanks, yes blue lines are two wired bt pods, one in bedroom isn't.
Any particular Asus AP is should look at getting?
did look at these as they are similar to my router, and I can use parental controls, etc.
***Competitor link removed***
I've removed your competitor link as OcUK do stock some access points etc

If you are spending that money, you'd be better off looking at Ubiquitu unifi APs.

I thought you had an Asus AP already?

I've removed your competitor link as OcUK do stock some access points etc

If you are spending that money, you'd be better off looking at Ubiquitu unifi APs.

I thought you had an Asus AP already?
thanks, sorry my phone got stuck sending, so it got posted twice

not I only have an Asus RT-AX86U attached to 3 x BT Whole home pods that I'd like to improve the speed of.

considering a couple of these Asus mesh devices. but a bit concerned of losing the coverage I have with the 3 BT pods

ok as an update, I decided to purchase a couple of the Asus rt-ax92u mesh routers seeing as I already had an Asus router. At first I was impressed but with the help of iperf3 on a wired Ethernet laptop and then walking around the house with the phone managed to get a fairly steady 250-650Mbps . No idea if that's what I should be expecting lol. The BT Wholesome I'd max out at around 300Mbps.
thanks

Back
Top Bottom