Wii U

Soldato
I think next gen I'll stop supporting the Xbox after 10 years as they seem to be forgetting their original audience and I'll have a Wii-U for the fun, querky games and have my PC for hardcore games.

Soldato
The other great thing about the Wii U looks to be a proper internet browsing experience on your tv with the controller, it really could be a hub for home entertainment so i hope they allow you to use it as an extender, how great would it be to look down at your media library on your pc and pick what you want to watch?

Im very excited about it, I hated the wii, they came out with tech that wasnt ready yet and underpowered hardware, lets see whether they can get everything right this time, Nintendo are always a bit hit and miss but at least they do try to push the envelope when it comes to innovation.

Soldato
Wii U looks interesting but this controller itself is going to cost £100+, you really wouldn't want to drop it, would you?

It could cost £100+, but I don't think it will.

Would potentially dropping a £400 tablet prevent you from buying it? :confused:

The other great thing about the Wii U looks to be a proper internet browsing experience on your tv with the controller, it really could be a hub for home entertainment so i hope they allow you to use it as an extender, how great would it be to look down at your media library on your pc and pick what you want to watch?

Would be lovely, but I honestly can't imagine Nintendo doing this. Possibly via an external HDD but not DNLA or anything like that.

Permabanned

Im very excited about it, I hated the wii, they came out with tech that wasnt ready yet and underpowered hardware, lets see whether they can get everything right this time, Nintendo are always a bit hit and miss but at least they do try to push the envelope when it comes to innovation.

Is it still motion powered, I wish they had come out with a proper console, not a one with another gimmick.

I suppose the days of a gamecube/n64/snes nintendo type games console will never ever be released.

Soldato
Not really seen much about this new console but fingers crossed once the hacking/homebrew crowd get their hand on it, with the touch screen controller and HD video output, this couls make a lovely media hub.

No doubt it'll be crippled in this by Nintendo but the Homebrew peeps might be able to make it a corker of a system!

Soldato
This can't come soon enough. My 360 and PS3 have been gathering dust recently and there's very little on the horizon that I care about - certainly nothing as much as Zelda HD goodness!

Even if the new controller gets used just for a map or inventory i'll be happy. Think how it could be used in Metroid, aiming it at the screen to scan items etc. Oh, Metroid Prime in HD :eek:

Soldato
This can't come soon enough. My 360 and PS3 have been gathering dust recently and there's very little on the horizon that I care about - certainly nothing as much as Zelda HD goodness!

Even if the new controller gets used just for a map or inventory i'll be happy. Think how it could be used in Metroid, aiming it at the screen to scan items etc. Oh, Metroid Prime in HD :eek:

I forgot about Metroid Prime. My god that game was about the best thing I played on the Wii.

But... I loved it because of the Wii controller. I'm not so sure I'd like to play with analogue sticks when the Wii remote was awesome for it.

(I love KZ3 with Move. It's just not the same on a stick).

Soldato
Yeah, MP is great with the Wiimote. It was still great on the GC, not as good control wise, but still as playable as any fps with a pad.

Soldato
In all of the info I have seen this morning it implies that there will be only one 'special' controller with each Wii U, other players in multi-player games use Wimotes. This would lead to some phenomial arguements in our house! I wonder if you can use two (or more) per Wii U or for multi-player just use the Wimotes? If you can have two imagine the cost of another!

I know that the demos that some pleople have played are based on two diffeerent play styles with one haveing the new thing (does it have a name?) and others using the Wimotes.

Just wondering.

Associate
Is there any info on which generation the Radeon GPU is? TBH the CPU speed doesn't bother me, if it's over 2GHz then all is good. GFX is where it's at.

I think it's clear that the Wii U won't be 'as powerful' as the next gen PS and XB, but who cares? Since when did hard core gamers only care about graphics?
There used to be a term graphics whore, people who only cared about graphics. I'm not sure I can think of a game I enjoyed playing but thought was rubbish because the graphics were poor.

Now that games are >mainstream, good graphics are often plonked onto mediocre titles to give them some sales.

I think if they pump out quality titles like were available on the Wii, with the additional grunt to enable more competitive FPSs, plus decent innovation with the new screen, there will an awesome games catalogue. I always thought if the Wii only did 1080P graphics at 60fps without changing anything else (ie keep textures and models the same) it would have got much less flak.

In saying that, I'd like more info on the online stuff for Wii U. I don't own a PS3 or an XBox but really admire the usability of XBox Live.

Associate
quite impressed with the new console/controller and will most likely get it as a wii replacement. but by the time its due for release i'd imagine Sony/MS will have anounced there next gen consoles so making a Wii u a bit pointless for those multi-format games that will be on next gen.

Associate
Is there any info on which generation the Radeon GPU is? TBH the CPU speed doesn't bother me, if it's over 2GHz then all is good. GFX is where it's at.

I think it's clear that the Wii U won't be 'as powerful' as the next gen PS and XB, but who cares? Since when did hard core gamers only care about graphics?

In saying that, I'd like more info on the online stuff for Wii U. I don't own a PS3 or an XBox but really admire the usability of XBox Live.

If we knew more about the CPU we could have a good guess at the performance of the GPU! We might not hear anything officially from Nintendo about the hardware but devs will probably talk a bit about it. All I have seen so far is that one of the devs on Darksiders II has said that the WiiU has more powerful hardware than PS360.

Back
Top Bottom