Wii U

Caporegime
Surely you survived the N64 controller as a kid? unless you were older then.

I remember looking at the Left shoulder button and the D Pad and having to change hand positions on some games to play :cool:, and that was the coolest console ever made.

Nah I didn't I was 18 or 19 when that came out and anyway I went for the Saturn :D

The Wii is the first Nintendo console I have owned since NES.:)

Associate
I'm not sure on this yet and i want to see more.
One thing i will say though is that i wasn't sure on the DS or Wii when Nintendo announced them but i was sold after playing them.

Soldato
I'm ecouraged by the videos of people actually using the controllers, the Kotaku guys seemed to think the control fit the hands brilliantly, was easy to reach all the buttons/triggers and weight wise it was really light, lighter than an iPad was mentioned.

THAT is what it needs to be, sure it looks big and heavy but that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be ;) Nintendo wouldn't be so stupid as to put something out there that you couldn't physically use or sustain in the real world, it just wouldn't fly.

Certainly this is just the first unveiling, there will of course be information to come out at e3 as well as in the year to come in lead up to release, there are far too many assumptions coming through in the comments so far without any concrete evidence to support for or against the system.

Going to have to play the waiting game, however that being said, I am encouraged by Nintendo continuing to try to innovate while getting the 3rd parties back on side.

Caporegime
Struggling to feel excited about this... I'm feeling pretty invested in my 360 now, and unless MS drop the ball on the next one, I can't see why I wouldn't just move to their next offering.

Maybe I'll be persuaded if it turns out to be awesome...

Will they sort their online out? Will they have some sort of decent online presence, like the whole gamercard/achievements thing?

Also, how much is that controller going to cost?

Soldato
Will they sort their online out? Will they have some sort of decent online presence, like the whole gamercard/achievements thing?

Also, how much is that controller going to cost?

Online is sorted according to Reggie in an interview with GT, apparently we should hear something about that within the next few days, Nintendo have 2 seperate Developer roundtables so we'll hear info then :)

Also as for the controller, seems to be very light and uses a resistive touch screen hence the use of the stylus, the WiiMote+Nunchuck could set you back £60 especially when on release, I suspect Nintendo may subsidise the cost on the controllers a bit.

It's going to be hard to guess as we don't know what the tech of the controller really includes yet and we can only guess. Pricing etc won't be until much later in the year.

Associate
I knew this seemed familiar, it's the Dreamcast controller on steroids!

Reminded me a bit of the DC pad.

Reading through the posts I read somebody talking about next gen graphics and what people expect and I agree with what he said (sorry cant remember who said it).

Can we make a leap that will look more amazing than what we have now? By this I mean can we make a leap of xbox to xbox 360 gfx in the next gen? Or should we expect sharper, shinier gfx and more AA and a standard resolution ie 1080p or 720p rather than releasing a game with sub hd resolutions?

Soldato
I dont really get what this is to be honest. I wanted a "proper" console from Nintendo next with the power to make the next iterations of their classic genres in full glory. The wii did well for what it was but after the classics of mario galaxy and smash bros (and a few others) the shovel ware was not for me.

I enjoyed the Wii but it died after I got an Xbox 360. I dont see me investing in this.

Looks like a big white game gear :/

Soldato
People keep forgetting that it won't just be more shovelware as 3rd parties are going to be supporting it with their cross platform games, so we will see a lot of the games that if you only owned a Wii you would miss on it. Then you have your Nintendo exclusives of course, so this console is only good news for the Nintendo fan :)

Soldato
Surely those ports as such will only last until the next xbox/PS comes in a year or two?

I think you seem to miss a big point here. The new next gen PS and Xbox will still be only 1080p (my opinion) and the Wii-U will be 1080p. The game engines are scalable to take advantage of whatever hardware they run on.

So, for example, the Frostbite 2 engine. The game built on this engine will play on all platforms and the game assets will be shareable. Most of the game engines in use today power PC gaming and will probably power many games in the next gen Xbox/PS.

Man of Honour
Reminded me a bit of the DC pad.

Reading through the posts I read somebody talking about next gen graphics and what people expect and I agree with what he said (sorry cant remember who said it).

Can we make a leap that will look more amazing than what we have now? By this I mean can we make a leap of xbox to xbox 360 gfx in the next gen? Or should we expect sharper, shinier gfx and more AA and a standard resolution ie 1080p or 720p rather than releasing a game with sub hd resolutions?

It was me! and I'd like to know the answer!

Back
Top Bottom