Will a club outside the big 4 ever win the title again?

Associate
marl said:
Will they, or will Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd dominate things for decades to come?

I dont see liverpool winning the premiership in the near future. Obviously Man Utd and chelski are the only choices this season, arsenal will join them next season......liverpool still have a lot of work to win a competition that lasts 38 games.

Soldato
Jimmi said:
I dont see liverpool winning the premiership in the near future. Obviously Man Utd and chelski are the only choices this season, arsenal will join them next season......liverpool still have a lot of work to win a competition that lasts 38 games.

I think we could shock a few people over the next 1-3 years. I certainly think were in with a shout! I honestly think benitez is one of the best managers in the world, the more he adjusts to the english game the better we will get.

Man u and the chavs are showng good consistancy over a season though and will be hard to beat! Arsenal have shown that they just can't get to grips with some of the lower sides and the way the play football, but they are capable of beating anyone on their day as liverpool are. Both liverpool and arsenal have a bit of work to do, but neither team has massive ammounts!
The last step is the hardest though and all that!

I dont know if its just me dreaming, but I can see chelsea having some sort of breakdown at some point. I have no idea why, but it would be nice!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't see why Liverpool are being mentioned in the same breath as the others here. For me the scousers are the club that aren't challengers that could become them over the next few years. They aren't there yet.

manyoo are the only real challengers to Chelsea with Arsenal as rank outsiders.

Associate
Oakesy2001uk said:
Arsenal have shown that they just can't get to grips with some of the lower sides and the way the play football, but they are capable of beating anyone on their day as liverpool are.

This is the area where arsenal have improved immensely in the last couple of months. They are finally finding a bit of grit and determination to get stuck in the middle of the park.

Soldato
hood1971 said:
This is the area where arsenal have improved immensely in the last couple of months. They are finally finding a bit of grit and determination to get stuck in the middle of the park.

I dont disagree, but doing it over a season is hard work. and I dont think arsenal can do that.
What I think Liverpool need is a bit of flair, We have gerrard who can obviously make things happen, alonso who passes beutifully, and sissoko is just simply fantastic at what he does, so the centre of the midfield is tied up, defence is strong, good keeper IMO and decent strikers (kuyt especially).

But Pennant and gonzalez/zenden and one day when he is fit Kewell just arent good enough! Pennant and gonzalez show signs that they genuinely could be in time, but we need some real quality there.

Man u and chelsea are on a different level than liverpool and arsenal, not in pure football terms, but certainly in cosistancy.

Soldato
Gilly said:
No, not really. manyoo have done well this season but they've been nowhere over the course of the two previous seasons.
Hence the ;)!! :p

Anyways - Chelsea are about to implode. Mr moneybags'll be off, Moaninho will follow & the club will start hemorrhaging top players. They'll be in receivership with 5 years, I tells ye! :)

Associate
Gilly said:
I don't see why Liverpool are being mentioned in the same breath as the others here. For me the scousers are the club that aren't challengers that could become them over the next few years. They aren't there yet.

manyoo are the only real challengers to Chelsea with Arsenal as rank outsiders.

As much as this hurts me, it is true. Liverpool are a long way off. (although we are world wide probably "bigger" than or equal to Manu.) Arsenal will not win the Premiership on a budget those days have gone although the ONLY manager capable of this is Wenger so take my comment with a pinch of salt.

If Liverpool continue their policy of buying lots of average players instead of a few world class ones this club will never win a league again.

Associate
Oakesy2001uk said:
defence is strong, good keeper IMO and decent strikers (kuyt especially).

The defence has shown itself up on the road, and in the cup competitions. The strike force is decent, but would any of them get into United, Chelski or Arsenal?

Associate
Gilly said:
No, not really. manyoo have done well this season but they've been nowhere over the course of the two previous seasons.

add to that, the fact chelski are still reigning champions and there is still a good few games left of this season.

Associate
Liverpool have about as much chance as us (the beautiful toon army) of winning the premiership in the next few years.

The big clubs these days are chelski, don't use those terms please & arsenal. The rest of us sit & wait.

Soldato
Redman said:
Liverpool have about as much chance as us (the beautiful toon army) of winning the premiership in the next few years.

hmmmm, I think not, the "beutifull toon army" have about as much chance as my left sock, whereas I still contest, liverpool are one or two top players away, and have the manager to do it (IMO), and now it looks like we will have the stadium and the cash in the years to come. The big 4 is definetly a 4 IMO.

Permabanned
Oakesy2001uk said:
hmmmm, I think not, the "beutifull toon army" have about as much chance as my left sock, whereas I still contest, liverpool are one or two top players away, and have the manager to do it (IMO), and now it looks like we will have the stadium and the cash in the years to come. The big 4 is definetly a 4 IMO.

What planet do you like on? Liverpool are a decent manager and a new squad away from winning the prem

Soldato
I think Chelsea have been exceptionally lucky in getting the group of players together and the manager to deliver instant success. As we have seen in Madrid, a high profile manager and the galacticos do not make a winning team.

Thats why I think Liverpool will still be hard pushed to win it in the next 4-5 years. In terms of infrastructure they have had their hands tied when it comes to buying players as they cannot compete on the wages front. Even with them being bought out recently its still going to take a few years to get the higher calibre players in and Gel as a cohesive unit. Its like for every step Chelsea make forward, Liverpool have to make two.

Unfortunately whilst their is imballance in the relative resources of the teams in the premiership, I really can't see anyone breaking into that top four for some time yet

Back
Top Bottom