will Marks and Spencer let me return a jacket if the labels (how to wash / iron etc) is cut off?

Soldato
Long story short - bought a smart suit jacket, thinking it was the right size. Foolishly I cut off those white labels on the inside that tell you how best to wash it etc, before trying it on again at home (they were really long and obtrusive which is why i took the scissor to them!). I then realised it's a bit too big. Needless to say I'm feeling a bit silly but wondering what my chances of getting a refund or credit note might be (i still have the receipt at least!!). Any experiences?

Soldato
Credit note shouldn't be an issue. They will just put it back with no label if all you have done is take the label off. Not a big deal as the size is usually on the jacket somewhere anyway.

Soldato
OP
well, to update: Took it in yesterday but no dice. They wouldn't accept any form of return/refund/credit etc. I didn't really protest as he seemed pretty adamant about it and it was of course my own fault. Oh well...we live and learn :(

Soldato
well, to update: Took it in yesterday but no dice. They wouldn't accept any form of return/refund/credit etc. I didn't really protest as he seemed pretty adamant about it and it was of course my own fault. Oh well...we live and learn :(

Did you tell him that you cut the labels off?

Soldato
No they generally won't care.

As long as the item is in as new condition. IE you've just tried it on couple times pretty much and don't like it/doesn't fit. You can just explain you removed them as they hindered you trying it on.

They replace labels most of time if they go missing. They tear off in store etc.

Source: had job at river island

Hmmm that's strange, normally they'd just give store credit or something.... but I guess some shops are more strict about it. Even if you cut labels off or it breaks by accident just keep them and superglue the break in the plastic :p done job.

Associate

Too big eh?

Gonna have to hit the gym or kebab shop (depending on where it needs filling out and personal preference).

Problem solved.

Soldato
Order new one online, return old one stating "very unhappy, not only did you send the wrong size but looks second hand as the labels are all cut off"

If you're really brave phone up and complain....might even get a good will voucher

Soldato
To confirm these are the stitched in labels and not the ones that show the size/price and are connected via the little plastic things? If so I can understand where they are coming from.

Oh, if he actually cut the inner labels off that are stitched to the jacket I can see why they refused. Considered damage to the product.

Back
Top Bottom