Will my power supply do?

Soldato
hey guys,

I just ordered a graphics card off the net, silly me never considered the power issue.

I started to watch a video on youtube about it and it says the card needs no less than a 500W power supply. (card is a GTX 760) and my power supply is a powercool 450W modular.

yet on the power supply there is the standard pins for sata etc and it has 2 8 pin slots and they are red and next to them it says for PCIE ??

will this psu be ok for moderate gaming??

thanks guys, RTJ

Associate
What are the rest of your specs like?

It'll probably run, but it's advised to get a better unit anyway.

Wattage-wise alone it is completely fine if you run a stock Intel CPU and like 2 HDDs. If you have an overclocked 8350+ or are on the X99 platform you'll definitely want a new PSU.

Associate
Short answer, no get a better PSU.

It will probably run, but it will be pushing close to or over the power limit on the 12V rails.

Given the dubious quality of powercool PSUs, I'd say play it safe and get a better one. £60 will get you a decent 500-550W non-modular PSU. Around the £70-75 mark you can get a decent modular PSU.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/supe...0-plus-gold-power-supply-black-ca-003-sf.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/xfx-...old-fully-modular-power-supply-ca-026-xf.html

Man of Honour
Powercool psu's are absolute garbage. As for recommendations my standard answer isthis.

A good quality 550w psu is more than enough for your system even with overclocking so here is a selection of 550-650w units for you to consider:-

Non-Modular (fixed cables)

My basket at Overclockers UK:

The Antec units are built by Seasonic and both have a single 12v rail with the 550w having a 540w 12v rail and the 650w having a 648w 12v rail. Both have a 5 year warranty.

The Superflowers are also a single 12v rail design and the 550w version has 546w on it's 12v rail while the 650w version has 648w on it's 12v rail. Both units also have a 5 year warranty.

Modular (removeable cables)

My basket at Overclockers UK:

The Superflower units are both single 12v rail designs with the 550w being able to deliver the whole of it's 550w on the 12v rail while the 650w version can deliver 649w on it's 12v rail. Both have 5 year warranties. Be warned that both of these units have bright white leds where you plug the cables in and they cannot be turned off.

The EVGA units are built by Seasonic and once again are both single 12v rail units. The 550w version has a 540w 12v rail while the 650w version has a 648w 12v rail. Both have a 5 year warranty.

The XFX units are also Seasonic built and are both single 12v rail designs. The 550w version has a 540w 12v rail while the 650w version has a 648w 12v rail. Both units once again have a 5 year warranty.

EVGA G2 650w - Basically a Superflower Leadex gold with a different fan, no leds and a longer warranty. Single 650w 12v rail, fully modular and a 7 year warranty.

Other units worth checking out but not available from OCUK due to being out of stock or simply not sold here are:-

EVGA G2 550w - Basically a Superflower Leadex gold with a different fan, no leds and a longer warranty. Single 550w 12v rail, fully modular and a 7 year warranty.

EVGA GQ 650w - FSP built semi-modular unit with a single 12v rail of 650w and a 5 year warranty.

If it were me I would be tracking down a EVGA G2 as they are cracking units and argueably one of the best platforms currently around.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G 650w 80plus Gold PSU, is this a decent PSU then?

oh, one more quick question, are the cables universal , e.g. can i use a few on the cables from my power cool on the EVGA one???

RTJ

Associate
No, don't re-use the cables. The internal connectors on the PSU may be different due to a different PSU OEM, so don't try it. The cables it comes with will be better quality anyway.

Edit: It's not in the same league as the G2/GS but it's definitely a great improvement over your powercool. It's an FSP design that I wouldn't push hard but it can provide 636W on the 12V which is more than enough for your needs.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
hmm, i bought used but fully refurbished model with warranty. it only has :

4pin MB, 4+4 CPU, 1x3 SATA, 1 VGA 6pin 6+2pin

i have a SSD, HD and DVD Drive, gtx 760, and a molex to 4 pin for my 3 120mm case fans.

can you recommend somewhere i can get some more cables that will suit this GPU??

thanks, RTJ

Associate
TBH, I can't think of anywhere that sells aftermarket cables for that PSU. For the G2/P2 you can get a cabling kit but it cost about £70. Was this unit off the bay by any chance?

Personally I would return it and then get one of the units pastymuncher suggested. I hope he doesn't mind me saying this, but he's probably one of the best resident forum experts on PSUs.

Man of Honour
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G 650w 80plus Gold PSU, is this a decent PSU then?

oh, one more quick question, are the cables universal , e.g. can i use a few on the cables from my power cool on the EVGA one???

RTJ

Return it or cancel the order. It's a old model that has been replaced and it wasn't very good. What's the point in asking for recommendations and then buying something completely different.

No you can't use the existing cables as they will have different pin out's and you could end up damaging something like someone else did on here not long ago by doing the very same thing.

Soldato
OP
i have returned this and bought a new EVGA PSU.

and i do apologise as i do appreciate the help and time you guys are giving me...

RTJ

Soldato
OP
i have tried to be cost effective as possible, and think your suggestions are a touch nigh for me and my budget gaming setup, i will upgrade this PSU when i get a bit more money and more hardcore into my gaming..

so i went with the EVGA 500B 500W PSU.

i know its not on your list but i tried to look at it from all angles to last me a mater of months till i can afford a NEW PSU, most likely off the list you advise.

RTJ

Soldato
OP
hey guys,

pastymuncher - been thinking about what you said and im looking at getting one of the PSU units you mentioned...

what i would like to know is if my current psu will run ok with these specs :

AMD FX 8350 CPU
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 MOBO
evga gtx 760 GPU
16gb hyper fury ddr3 ram
120 gb ssd
1tb hd
4tb hd
dvd drive

if not, i will look at a 650w modular or something from pasty's list.

cheers guys, RTJ

Associate
Associate
It's an awesome unit, you should be very happy with it. I've got the G2 750W and I've changed my dad's to a G2 650W. Rock solid units and they come with a good warranty. You can also get the full aftermarket cabling kit for these. Bitfenix do one, as do Cablemod.

Back
Top Bottom