Wimbledon 2019

Soldato
I wonder how many more grand slam final chances Serena will get to equal Court's record of 24. I think that's the last 3 now she has lost.

Good to see other players stepping up and beating her.

Soldato
Wow, Halep is not only a great player, but she is the most eloquent and graceful speaker I've ever seen after winning Wimbledon. What a lovely woman and worthy champion. Serena was also more graceful in defeat than I expected her to be.

Soldato
The only problem with women's tennis is that matches can be too short. This could be done in an hour.

True. Who knows what twists and turns might be introduced if women played 5 set matches at grand slams.

I wonder how many players would be in favour of playing 5 set matches if given the choice.

Soldato
True. Who knows what twists and turns might be introduced if women played 5 set matches at grand slams.

I wonder how many players would be in favour of playing 5 set matches if given the choice.
I remember saying this a few years ago, but look at some of the classic 5-set men's matches in which the first two sets were won by the same player. Pretty sure there was such a Federer-Nadal Wimbledon final that fitted that.

It takes away from the women's game to miss out on long matches. I heard the WTA was in favour, but the Grand Slams themselves were against it due to scheduling. Should be 5 sets from the quarters on, IMO - can't be too tough to fit that in.

Back
Top Bottom