1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wimbledon 2019

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by Cob, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Pigeon_Killer

Caporegime

That's got to hurt.

2. Marsman

Capodecina

Just turned on and saw Mahut with ice pack on his face. Did he get hit in the face with a ball?

3. marc2003

Capodecina

I've not really been watching, just had it on in the background but it seemed to be more of an eye thing than just the face.

4. an0nym0us

Hitman

2008 Wimbledon final, Nadal won the first 2 sets, then eventually went on to win the title in a 5 set thriller. It is regarded as one of the best ever finals, although I was hoping for a Federer win.

5. an0nym0us

Hitman

Congratulations to Halep. I didn't manage to watch the match, but after reading the match analysis, sounds like she thoroughly deserved the win. Amazing it was over so quickly, I totally wasn't expecting this result.

6. StevieP

Soldato

I don't watch a lot of tennis these days but is Serena usually that mentally affected by missing shots?

She seemed to go into her own personal hell every time she didn't win a point!

7. Marsman

Capodecina

Maybe Serena has got used to players just rolling over for her, or posing no real threat. Now maybe she less capable and has faced some quality opponents who haven't just collapsed; maybe she just throws a tantrum like she did against Osaka, or shows signs of inner turmoil like in this match, when things don't go her way.

8. Moothead2

Sgarrista

Thank **** Halep won. Serena is unbearable at the best of times but the BBC's constant dawning over her somehow made me hate her even more than I thought possible.

56 minute final for the same prize money as the men is an absolute joke though. Equality isn't paying the same while doing a whole lot less.

9. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

The women don’t even work as hard in the few sets that they actually play. So many times this tournament the women just haven’t even bothered to run for the ball. It’s a joke.

10. Pigeon_Killer

Caporegime

Go check the stats, they might surprise you ;)

11. nicktay2605

Mobster

I find it odd that they don't play best of five at grand slams, the same as the men do. Women run the same marathon, play the same 90 minutes in football matches, etc. Sure, they might do the marathon more slowly and cover less ground over 90 minutes in a football match, but they still complete the same basics as the men, so it baffles me as to why the female tennis players don't play best of five.

12. Blackjack Davy

Mobster

She totally deserved to win completely focused completed determined and absolutely blew the opposition away.

Theres literally been no players of quality for years now to challenge her she's had a good run but looks like people are finally stepping up to the mark again

Just be thankful Gauff didn't get further or there'd be no end to it.

Can't say that. Misogynist, sexist, etc, etc.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  13. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

No, they won’t. The men hit big, so they don’t need to run as often, but they will always give it a go. I watched far too many women’s matches where they would just watch the ball sail by and wouldn’t bother going for it.

14. Pigeon_Killer

Caporegime

Plenty of men did that as well.

I don't agree with them being paid the same but a lot of the women run just as far and work just as hard for their points as the men do.

15. an0nym0us

Hitman

Gutted I'll be missing the men's final. Hopefully be able to catch the end.

16. ic1male

Caporegime

Final worth abandoning Tour de France today for. Hopefully this is going to be epic. Rooting for Novak myself. He is fit and raring to go!

17. C.R.A.Z.Y

Mobster

Multi-Screen to the rescue!!
    lawl
    [​IMG]

18. ic1male

Caporegime

19. Pigeon_Killer

Caporegime

Great start to the match, both playing well and Federer testing him by varying his depth.

20. Kelt

Sgarrista

Heh, same as me, TV, lappy and the tablet to the rescue!